Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-20-2006, 05:13 PM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
An odd take on digital-enabled books

A new digital book technology called TUI (Touch User Interface) is meant to allow "a reader to press the pictures and words on the regular printed ink and paper page and retrieve digital content or launch communication applications like email, IM, and VOIP from a digital appliance like a computer. This technology, in essence, turns the printed material into a remote control to digital content."

So the idea is that with a TUI-enabled book attached to some sort of computing device, you essentially enable it by allowing users to touch links to additional content. I'm not sure if this is just in a virtual book on a computer screen, or if it's actually added to a physical book, but I suppose it could have a place in some niche markets like for catalogs.

Read more at Coolest Gadgets.

Via Palm Addicts.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 06:50 PM   #2
Redfoot
Redfoot began at the beginning.

Device: eBookwise-1150
re An odd take on digital-enabled books

It be a neat addition for text books! Links to other information and in depth discussions would help a lot in understanding the current lession. For fiction it could be used to link viewers to prior books for background information, and it could be used to increase sales.
Redfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2006, 06:59 PM   #3
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
In Japan they do something like that with newspapers and ads... many of them have a QR code next to the text, which usually encodes an URL. Most of the current Japanese phones come with built-in QR code scanners.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 10:40 AM   #4
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

AH! Shades of the Cue Cat. Remember it?

Seriously, I don't quite understand how this would work without the pages being able to generate dynamic content. Otherwise, why not just get up.
tcv is offline   Reply With Quote