Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-15-2010, 02:48 PM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
iPhone 4

Is anyone thinking of getting the iPhone 4? Here is the UK, Apple are only selling it SIM-unlocked, and it's awfully expensive (£599 for the 32GB model, which is nearly US$900). It'll also be sold by all the network operators, with a contract, at a considerable discount, of course.

Is it still locked to AT&T in the US, or are Apple doing the same thing there?

Last edited by HarryT; 06-15-2010 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Typo
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 02:53 PM   #2
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
I have the iPhone 3G, and have no intention of upgrading. If it were not for the iPad I probably would, but with the iPad my iPhone is really just used as a phone. The Face Time thing is just not something I would use a lot....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2010, 02:56 PM   #3
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Is anyone thinking of getting the iPhone 4? Here is the UK, Apple are only selling it SIM-unlocked, and it's awfully expensive (£599 for the 32GB model, which is nearly US$900. It'll also be sold by all the network operators, with a contract, at a considerable discount, of course.

Is it still locked to AT&T in the US, or are Apple doing the same thing there?
Actually the unlocked price is cheaper than the subsidized carrier priced ones!

Eg to get the 16gb free with vodafone you need the 45 a month contract for 24 months so total off = £1080

A sim only contract with the equivalent minutes, text data can be had for £20' times that by 24 gives £480 add on the £499 for the phone and for total of £979 you have the same phone and mins etc for £100 less AND your not tie-in to a 2 year contract!
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 02:59 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My current phone is nearly 4 years old now, and pretty ancient in modern terms. I'm thinking of buying a second-hand iPhone 3GS, and hoping that prices will fall once the iPhone 4 is released. I just can't justify the cost of the 4.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:01 PM   #5
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
It's still only AT&T for now in the US. I too have a 3G and I too am not planning on upgrading right away as my iPad now does most of the stuff I liked my iPhone for. Actually, I'm planning on dropping the data plan for my iphone and going back to a "dumb phone" as soon as my contract allows. AT&T won't let you use an iPhone without a data plan even if you've completed your contract -- bunch of @##@$'s

I work from home and just do not need the "smart phone" as much as when I commuted to work.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2010, 03:02 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
Actually the unlocked price is cheaper than the subsidized carrier priced ones!

Eg to get the 16gb free with vodafone you need the 45 a month contract for 24 months so total off = £1080

A sim only contract with the equivalent minutes, text data can be had for £20' times that by 24 gives £480 add on the £499 for the phone and for total of £979 you have the same phone and mins etc for £100 less AND your not tie-in to a 2 year contract!
Oh yes, I know that contract prices are always higher over the lifetime of the contract; I was referring simply to the "up front" price.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:14 PM   #7
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Yes. Can't seem to get on to Apple's site to pre-order though, what a disaster.
Also, I want the white one, so not sure when it will be available.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 03:48 PM   #8
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
I know of a couple of people who paid ~£700 for an unlocked 3Gs imported to the UK from Italy (there's some reg that says phones have to be offered unlocked there) and that was considered a good deal bearing in mind their usage vs a reduced up-front cost + contract.

A few people on other forums here in the UK have crunched the numbers for iPhone 4 and come to the conclusion that there's very little in it whether you go for an unlocked phone or a contract - so much depends on your personal circumstances/usage.

I must say, I think this is the most shambolic launch of an Apple product in Britain - we seem to have the most network providers (5) for iPhone 4 here, but not one of them has managed to confirm prices in time for pre-order today; ridiculous!

I'm still on an iPhone 3G and have budgeted for a new iPhone this year, but the way this launch has been handled I don't think any of the networks deserve my business...

Pete
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 04:05 PM   #9
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
http://gizmodo.com/5564262/apple-iph...te-information

it gets even better.. AT&T's had some more security issues.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 04:06 PM   #10
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
http://gizmodo.com/5564262/apple-iph...te-information

it gets even better.. AT&T's had some more security issues.
What a disaster, for both AT&T and Apple.

AT&T Now Taking iPhone 4 Orders In Pen and Paper
http://gizmodo.com/5564314/this-is-h...e-4-orders-now

lol.

Last edited by kjk; 06-15-2010 at 04:10 PM.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 05:16 PM   #11
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
What a disaster, for both AT&T and Apple.
from the article:-

"So far there have been at least three accounted cases of mistaken identities sent by Gizmodo.com readers..."

So that's three accounted cases of mistaken identity then - 'cos if it were any more, they'd have said 'at least 4 / 10 / whatever'...

As I said further up the thread, it's not been a slick pre-order day here in Britain, but it's hardly a 'disaster'.

Pete
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 05:36 PM   #12
cmdahler
Addict
cmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
For me, I'll get it the minute they put it on Verizon's system here in the US. ATT is a nonstarter for me.
cmdahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 06:38 PM   #13
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
at&t wasn't so forthcoming with numbers a few days ago when they had the email security issue either. do you really think they're going to admit "thousands of customers identities exposed" today?
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:09 PM   #14
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
I am still in doubt. My iphone3g has become very sluggish. This is making me consider upgrading.
However most of the androids coming out now have much better specs than the Iphone.
I dont like it that the I4g most probably has only 256mb ram.

The Dell Streak, Droid X, next Meego phone(??) look very very enticing, but worldwide availability is a doubt.

I dont think the phone is sold in japan unlocked. Everything is locked here.

Lots of choices and confusion..
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:30 PM   #15
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Yes, the iPhone is sold locked here in Japan.
I just bought a new 16G model last week, up front price was about $200 USD and there are lots of choices for carriers. After I learn a bit more about it, and understand how to use more of its functions I'll probably unlock it for use abroad. It just costs waaaaay too much to use a Japanese carrier from other locations in SE Asia, and sim cards can be bought in any 7-Eleven (outside of Japan) for just a few dollars.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote