Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-30-2006, 02:25 PM   #1
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
Hacking and/or development

Does any of the early adopters plan to hack into the iLiad?
Has anybody got some development tools, or some trick about how to do it?

To start with:
Which is the output of lsusb -v when the iLiad is attached to a linux host?
Does the current (v2.4) OS support wireless networking? If so, can you log using ssh or rsh, or to get transfers via scp, ftp, sftp?
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 02:28 PM   #2
b_k
Übernerd
b_k is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad
it would be interesting if/what Nmap would find on both, the LAN and WLAN interfaces.
b_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2006, 02:52 PM   #3
ali
Addict
ali doesn't litterali doesn't litter

Device: Iliad, dude!
I guess I'll do some development once the sdk is out.

I doubt you can actually log into the machine. If they want to do DRM on it, they have to make sure nobody can tweak the running kernel, e.g., load modules. So they'll probably make the device appear as a usb storage device, not exposing the real root fs. Or worse, use a proprietary protocol.

But deep in my heart I hope there's an sshd running. That would make things so much easier... There are a lot of possibilities where you could try to "hack into" it -- the pdf viewer being based on xpdf with similar security flaws, for example. But that's way over my head.
ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 03:00 PM   #4
b_k
Übernerd

and i doubt, that Irex could really think that they can keep that thing closed. As history has shown, even on Windows PDAs you get a embedded Linux up and running. So i think, for a device that is already running Linux, that should be a lot easier, especially if you have the source for the OS and the Kernel.

(Hint: www.gpl-violations.org - Linksys already knows them ;-) )
Old 06-30-2006, 03:07 PM   #5
ali
Addict
ali doesn't litterali doesn't litter

Device: Iliad, dude!
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_k
(Hint: www.gpl-violations.org - Linksys already knows them ;-) )
I love that hint, I forgot about the GPL (god bless it!). Looks like a bright future for us!
ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2006, 03:22 PM   #6
b_k
Übernerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali
I love that hint, I forgot about the GPL (god bless it!). Looks like a bright future for us!
i think Linksys has more good then bad gotten from that. Think how many routers are running now on OpenWrt, DD-Wrt or some other alternative firmware. I'm in no doubt that all vendors of Broadcom-based routers made a good amount of additional sales because of the availability of the alternative firmwares.

Downside is naturally, that the users don't need to buy new hardware, as long as the firmware project of their choice is alive.

Personally, i would rather want my Iliad (if i order one) open, in the form of root access for me, then having the ability to read DRM'ed books. That would be a good reason to start learning real programming.

i'm so going off topic here.
Old 06-30-2006, 03:36 PM   #7
cades
cades began at the beginning.

Hi,

does anybody know, how the update procedure works?

Do you have to connect the ilead to irex and hopefully a working update comes? (The way Microsoft dreams about, because it enables them to decide, what the best... )

Or can you download and store an update and decide by yourself what is the best...

Btw I think the SDK makes the second version neccessary.

Does anyone have any information about the SDK?

Gregor
cades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 03:43 PM   #8
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
The updates work like this:

"If you are registered to iDS you can skip this step and immediately connect to iDS to receive the latest software release. Due to the size of this release the download and installation will be done in two steps. After the successful installation of the first part you will need to reconnect to iDS again to download and install the second part.

(Note: Make sure that your iLiad is fully charged or connected to the power plug before starting the download.)

Connect to iDS by pressing the connect key of your iLiad for 2 seconds.
After the download your iLiad will shut itself down which can take up to 15 seconds.
When the screen turns white and the led goes out you can turn on your iLiad again and the installation of the new software release will automatically start.
After the new software has been installed you will need to restart your iLiad.

(Caution: Please make sure the iLiad does not run out of power while the new software is being installed. If the device runs out of power at this stage it may be programmed with incomplete software, rendering it unusable.)"

Taken from the email they sent today.
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 02:16 PM   #9
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR
:
"If you are registered to iDS you can skip this step and immediately connect to iDS to receive the latest software release."
What does it happen if I can not grant a stable internet connection to iDS? Can I download the update first and then to use some local updater to upload it to the device? Has anybody had some experience with the update process?

This is a important thing. Please answer if you can help here.
Old 07-02-2006, 02:19 PM   #10
arivero
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali
the pdf viewer being based on xpdf with similar security flaws,
This is a seconday hope I have, but lets check first the easier things: networking, updating...
Old 07-02-2006, 05:09 PM   #11
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
I'll answer when I can...I'll hopefully have my Iliad next week...^^
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 05:41 AM   #12
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: quaderno, remarkable2, yotaphone2, prs950, iliad, onhandpc, newton
Quote:
Originally Posted by arivero
Does any of the early adopters plan to hack into the iLiad?
Has anybody got some development tools, or some trick about how to do it?
I think that development will have to wait until they release the SDK

First of all, we need to know:
- if the iliad uses uclibc or the complete glibc
- (optional) if the processor has floating point unit or not, and if it hasn't, what type of emulation is used (in-kernel fp emulation or soft-float compiled binaries)
- how to install new "viewers"
- what display "driver" they are using; I doubt they use an X server, it makes more sense for them to use something along the lines of FBDev.

The main limitaion right now is how to inject a new executable into the iliad and try it (if there is a security hole as in the librie and we can exec scripts in the SD/CF).

And after all, they should publish all this information with the SDL (one has to be able to test his viewer...).

BTW: I'm eager to start programming for the iliad. I've plenty of experience programming for small embedded linux platforms (for in-house use, but that includes gui and gui-less programs for the zaurus SL-5500 w/ SharpROM, ipaq w/ familiar, Zaurus SL-6000L w/ SharpROM, WRT54G w/OpenWRT, Asus WL-550g w/ Oleg Firmware), and it boils down to having a good crosscompiler toolchain and some patience to iron the bugs that appear when executing your app in the resource-starved embedded linux ;-).

The fact that the iliad will have an SDK has been a deciding factor for me (although the other contenders will have linux, programming for them will be a chore for some time until someone manages to "open" them... and I don't have the time nor the knowledge to do that myself -- well, perhaps some of the knowledge, but I'm sure not all that's needed (hey, I have my ego high today ))

Nice to know there are other developers waiting for their Iliads
Antartica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 06:28 AM   #13
arivero
Guru

[QUOTE=Antartica
- (optional) if the processor has floating point unit or not, and if it hasn't, what type of emulation is used (in-kernel fp emulation or soft-float compiled binaries)[/quote]
From previous ARM experience, emulated float point is very slow. This is important when using the pnmtools. Fortunately the netpbm package provides integer alternatives for the more usual manipulations.

Quote:
- what display "driver" they are using; I doubt they use an X server, it makes more sense for them to use something along the lines of FBDev.
Well fbdev >(or was it vfbdev?) is an xserver, only that it does not incorporate input devices. My strategy on another e-ink device was to use it, and then to use a simple script to capture the virtual framebuffer screen, reprocess into e-ink format, and dump into the real screen framebuffer. In this way I was able to run xclock.

Quote:
The main limitaion right now is how to inject a new executable into the iliad and try it (if there is a security hole as in the librie and we can exec scripts in the SD/CF).
In the librie, the solution was to made a new firmware update incorporating an exec of script during init. It worked, but nobody become involved in the development. Perhaps as you say, the lack of a real SDK. I hope that iRex will deploy his [SDK] soon, but I am not sure if it is going to be free, so I keep considering the hacking alternative.

Quote:
BTW: I'm eager to start programming for the iliad. I've plenty of experience programming for small embedded linux platforms (for in-house use, but that includes gui and gui-less programs for the zaurus SL-5500 w/ SharpROM, ipaq w/ familiar, Zaurus SL-6000L w/ SharpROM, WRT54G w/OpenWRT, Asus WL-550g w/ Oleg Firmware), and it boils down to having a good crosscompiler toolchain and some patience to iron the bugs that appear when executing your app in the resource-starved embedded linux ;-).
I agree. Myself I have crosscompiled for ARM but not really developed, just deployed packages. One of my students were assigned to the zaurus SL-5500, I asked him to write a new kernel module to simulate a usbmouse in the zaurus (so that the machine can be attached to the usb port of the host and start moving the cursor in the host screen without installing any software on it, just having the usbmouse driver loaded). He did it well, so even kernel hacking is a feasible possibility when one has got, as you say, a decent toolchain.
Old 07-07-2006, 07:12 AM   #14
Pitchfork
Connoisseur
Pitchfork began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad/Ipaq 6340
The specs of the Iliad look very similar to the GumStix board that ship with the eInk Developer kit. It would not surprize me if they simply have stuck the same board in the Iliad. You can download the SDK for the eInk kit on the eInk web site. Maybe a good starting point for hacking the Iliad.
Pitchfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 07:29 AM   #15
arivero
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchfork
The specs of the Iliad look very similar to the GumStix board that ship with the eInk Developer kit. It would not surprize me if they simply have stuck the same board in the Iliad. You can download the SDK for the eInk kit on the eInk web site. Maybe a good starting point for hacking the Iliad.
I am not sure. The processor model and speed seems the same, but the screen in the Eink kit is Gates' 800x600. The next Hollybook, the A51, was a 155ppi, 1280x900, so not the iLiad one.

But yep, the A51 prototype uses a GumStix too. So perhaps it is the same thing.

http://positron.org/projects/A51/sid...31-2_gates.pdf

Last edited by arivero; 07-07-2006 at 07:34 AM.