Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 04-21-2013, 04:49 AM   #1
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Weird migrating link LANDING question

Hi, guys:

Asking this for a client. He wrote a book in Word, beautifully done, footnotes/endnotes all done correctly with two-way linking, etc. All the links work perfectly in Word (just under 600 endnotes). However, when he exports the Word file to PDF, even using Acrobat Pro X, the target locations for the links seem to migrate.

Basically, after about the first 6th of the links, when you click the anchor link, the jump takes you to a page after where the target link actually is. Worse, this behavior snowballs..as you get deeper into the links, the target location where the jump lands is ever-further away from where it should be.

Now, we're extracting this into HTML, and making ePUB/MOBI from it, which means that our books will be fine, but the client wishes to make an ePDF himself from his source that he can sell from his own site, as it will be free. My question is: has anyone ever seen this behavior? No amount of Googling seems to help, as the word "endnotes" brings up tens of thousands of results, all about the very popular program, "endnotes." I searched here, and didn't find anything about it. The links in the Word file work; they seem to have been correctly created using Word's built-in functionality; it's not some cheap PDF conversion program, it's AA Pro X...

Anyone have any ideas for The Case of the Creeping Link Landings? It's...bizarre. Really, really bizarre. Thoughts, all?

Thanks,
Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:57 AM   #2
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
What version of Word are you using? On what OS? Did you try saving as a PDF from Word? Have you tried any of the print-to-pdf drivers (e.g. CutePDFWriter)? I'm not sure if any of them preserve end-note links. If all else fails, I'd maybe send Adobe a minimal example (reduce the doc size until it produces just one messed up link).
willus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2013, 06:59 PM   #3
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willus View Post
What version of Word are you using? On what OS? Did you try saving as a PDF from Word? Have you tried any of the print-to-pdf drivers (e.g. CutePDFWriter)? I'm not sure if any of them preserve end-note links. If all else fails, I'd maybe send Adobe a minimal example (reduce the doc size until it produces just one messed up link).
Willus:

The client used Word 2010, as I have (Professional). Both Win7, both 64bit. I am using Acrobat Pro X, he has Acrobat Pro XI. Both are using the built-in functionality of the Acrobat add-in. We've sent it to various associates, who have tried everything from PrimoPDF to the numerous other "blah-blab-PDF" writers. Nothing seems to fix it.

It's extraordinarily peculiar; we're talking about anchor and landing links. Not something like an index, where the location of where the index annotation (in Word) is placed at the top of a given page. These are actual endnote links. I can't envision what in the name of hell is making the landings go progressively further adrift from the actual link. And because of the popularity of that little program out there called "Endnote," searching Google for any type of hint has been fruitless.

Everyone involved in the question and quest for an answer makes books professionally, both in print and digitally, so, yes, we've tried everything that seems even remotely sensible. Unless we plan on holding up the booklaunch by months, I don't see Adobe being that helpful, but I suppose it can't hurt to try.

Thank you.

Hitch
Old 04-21-2013, 09:57 PM   #4
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
I remember having read that PDFs created from TeX/LaTeX documents often are even better than the original Adobe PDFs. So maybe this way?

Word to TeX to PDF

http://docx2tex.codeplex.com/
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:08 PM   #5
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This sounds like a kind of overflow thing because you say about 600 foot-/endnotes and SHTF after about 1/6th of them.
A fully grown textbook
I'd seriously consider a TeX environment for that.
After all they even ate most market share of book writing software (being well capable of managing f. & e. notes, glossaries and bibliographic references)
Advert
Old 04-22-2013, 02:58 AM   #6
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
This sounds like a kind of overflow thing because you say about 600 foot-/endnotes and SHTF after about 1/6th of them.
A fully grown textbook
I'd seriously consider a TeX environment for that.
After all they even ate most market share of book writing software (being well capable of managing f. & e. notes, glossaries and bibliographic references)
Yes, Freeshadow:

I suspect that's the issue. I have had the client break the book into three parts (which it does naturally), and I'm trying to see if the problem persists. That will at least give me some insight into it. It's not something I'm accustomed to having to navigate, as we don't make ePDF's all that often, nor those of this size/depth, for sale as "ePDF's." Usually, we're making print PDF's for print/POD.

Thanks--I'll think about these alternatives.

Hitch
Old 04-22-2013, 03:57 AM   #7
Freeshadow
temp. out of service

Not quite the same, but related:
InDesign seems to have a footnote numbering limit of 400.
http://www.asadesigner.com/19-indesi...a13fcb4805.htm

Seems we are close to home.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:09 AM   #8
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Not quite the same, but related:
InDesign seems to have a footnote numbering limit of 400.
http://www.asadesigner.com/19-indesi...a13fcb4805.htm

Seems we are close to home.
Ah-hah. Well, hell, if the mighty INDD has that limit, I can only infer that mere Acrobat certainly would have it as well. Hmph. Thank you! I'll look into it further and alert my client to this glitch.

How in the name of Hades did you find that? I mean, seriously, what search phrasing did you use, pls?

Hitch
Old 04-22-2013, 06:52 AM   #9
Freeshadow
temp. out of service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Ah-hah. Well, hell, if the mighty INDD has that limit, I can only infer that mere Acrobat certainly would have it as well. Hmph. Thank you! I'll look into it further and alert my client to this glitch.

How in the name of Hades did you find that? I mean, seriously, what search phrasing did you use, pls?

Hitch
"acrobat footnote limit" 2nd hit
"adobe footnote limit" would have been better: 1st an InDesign forum

But as soon as we suspected internal counter problems I looked for acrobat-specific stuff related to such.

If we further guess right and it's something in adobe's libraries let's try the indesgn fix:
Tell your client to try restart *note numbers for every chapter/part. if keeping the counter low helps, we got bull's eye.

Altough I really wonder about the figure 400.
Would it be something in usual maxint ranges I'd get it but 400!?
Old 04-22-2013, 02:44 PM   #10
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
"acrobat footnote limit" 2nd hit
"adobe footnote limit" would have been better: 1st an InDesign forum

But as soon as we suspected internal counter problems I looked for acrobat-specific stuff related to such.

If we further guess right and it's something in adobe's libraries let's try the indesgn fix:
Tell your client to try restart *note numbers for every chapter/part. if keeping the counter low helps, we got bull's eye.

Altough I really wonder about the figure 400.
Would it be something in usual maxint ranges I'd get it but 400!?
Damn. I thought I'd tried every possible iteration of "footnote limit," "Acrobat footnote limit," etc., but maybe I just missed. I know that using "endnote" in the search terms was utter futility.

I think in his separated stories that the numbering is restarted, though, and I think it still happens. (). I'll give those go today myself, and see if we still have the "missage." I want to get this to work, somehow, because--and I know everyone here will be surprised to hear me of all people say this: I think this is an important book. I mean...I think it matters. I'm really impressed with it, which has happened to me...fewer times than I have fingers. I can't wait to see how it does, and what it does. (Obviously, not your basic fiction). ;-)

And, I agree....400? Doesn't that seem obscenely low? Or is their expectation that every academic or scholarly or ? manuscript in the world will not have foot/endnotes? What a boggle!

Thanks, Frees. I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

Hitch