Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-12-2009, 04:54 PM   #1
schmolch
Connoisseur
schmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it is

Device: Kindle
Isnt djvu the solution for low end hardware?

Hi there, first post from me :-)

Since a long time i fantasize about buying a e-ink reader but until recently i was sure they would not be able to handle the scanned books i read.
Those scans have been greyscale PDF-files between 20 and 30MB and the PDF-reader utilized between 100MB and 200MB of RAM to display them.
This i guessed is nothing any e-ink reader could handle (i dont own one), especially not the cheaper ones with 200MHZ CPUs and very little RAM.

Then i switched to scanning in b/w and saving as djvu which reduced both the filesize and memory-usage dramatically. Whole books are now 3MB in size and displaying them requires about 20MB of RAM instead of over 100MB.
And now i fantasize about e-ink readers again because i think even their relativly poor hardware might be able to handle that.

What does everybody think about that and does anyone have any experience with e-ink readers which have native djvu support?

Regards,
Schmolch
schmolch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:52 PM   #2
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera
Faenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300 & HTC HD2
I am not aware of any e-ink reader supporting Djvu. One alternative should be to use a PDA, as there are Djvu readers for windows Mobile.

If they are text heavy Djvu you should use an OCR program like Finereader to OCR them then convert the resulting doc files to an ebook format with Calibre.
I'm currently reading a book on my PRS-505 that I shrank from a 65 Mo PDF to a 1.4 Mo LRF.
Faenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2009, 05:50 AM   #3
AlfonsVH
Addict
AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook Neo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faenad View Post
I am not aware of any e-ink reader supporting Djvu.
The BeBook supports Djvu.

However, I think the main problem will be displaying your greyscale PDF's on a 6" screen with 4 greys, and Djvu will not solve that.
AlfonsVH is offline   Reply With Quote