Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-02-2009, 12:24 PM   #1
Jaie
Connoisseur
Jaie began at the beginning.

Device: JetBook, Aspire One Netbook (UMPC)
I'm still so confused

I STILL haven't bought a reader. I currently am reading my books off from my Aspire One (Acer) which is great, but I still WANT a reader in the worst way. The Kindle is nice, and I simply love the idea of downloading from anyplace, BUT I think it's terribly ugly, bulky (yes I've touched it) and while there are skins, the price is still ridiculous. And yeah, I've seen the supposed pictures of the Kindle 2, but I'm still not terribly impressed. Plus lets face it, I'm just not into Oprah flavored bandwagons.

So, my biggest thing is being able to download. Is the new eSlick going to have this feature? Do any of the readers? Which one is best for text books?
Jaie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:51 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Have you considered the Reader? Or do you like the "download anywhere" because you travel a lot?

What kind of textbooks are we talking about?
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2009, 01:04 PM   #3
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
By "download" do you mean be able to download books directly into the device? If so, the new ESlick won't have this feature.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:20 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The Kindle is the only EInk device with an end to end network capability for ebooks. The only other current EInk device with network capability is the iRex iLiad 2nd Edition, but its WiFi has never been paired with good software.

There will be network capable 6" eInk devices from other vendors this spring, but we don't yet know how well they will work.

Amazon has been rumored to be planning a text-book device, probably with a 9.7" screen, but we don't know any details. Others will probably also be introducing 9.7" devices this summer, now PVI has started volume production of its plastic EInk screens.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 03:13 PM   #5
Jaie
Connoisseur

Yeah, I figured on the Kindle thing. Bah. Leave it to Amazon to lock in a new technology so fast that no one else can afford to do it. As for the entire text book thing, I'm going to be in school at least the next 4 years, and if I move on and teach at college level (like I plan) then I have NO intention of carrying around or storing a stack of thick textbooks.

I've also looked at the eBook GEB 1150, is that one utterly worthless? Cost is a facotr, but not a huge one. If the Kindle can prove to me its worth, I'd totally buy one but I'd like to wait until the new one comes out (if this is the case) but at the same, I'd like to KSS.

Lilac, its not so much I travel a lot, its that I don't have constant net access at home (sticks) but the Whispernet does cover my area, plus I'm at school from about 7:30 am until 4 and the school doesn't always have reliable wi-fi.

Why oh why can't someone besides Amazon come up with a download direct to the device??
Advert
Old 02-02-2009, 03:27 PM   #6
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaie View Post
Why oh why can't someone besides Amazon come up with a download direct to the device??
Others are working on it, but for a lot of people, it's not a big priority--the inconvenience of "must access computer to acquire ebooks; must use USB cord to place them on Reader" is not too much hassle for most people. Most of us don't have a moment of "I must buy this ebook NOW! Cannot wait until I get home tonight!" during most days.

iPods have managed just fine for years, not being able to get new songs without a computer interface.

Would I like access to Feedbooks through my Reader? Sure. Manybooks? Ditto. Mobileread's free downloads? Oh hell yeah... but that's a lot of memory-eating software to add to my device. And that's without the hassles of payment methods. Making *one* bookstore available on a device (like Whispernet) is do-able. Making "ebookstores in general" available basically involves a full-service web browser.

More hardware, more software space, more potential for glitches, more expense for the customers who don't want those features... there are several reasons that wifi ebook readers aren't as high on the "needed improvements" list as, say, color pictures, or more format usability.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:14 PM   #7
Jaie
Connoisseur

And that's totally fine, like I've said it's not a must, but given my circumstances, it IS a convenience I wish the others had. At this point, I'd be happy if it could read Gutenberg, view PDFs and etc. I'm starting to seriously wonder if that eSlick might not be the ONE I've been waiting to meet all my life. (seriously, can you leave your boyfriend for an eReader?)
Old 02-02-2009, 07:16 PM   #8
Jaie
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
"needed improvements" list as, say, color pictures, or more format usability.

Reminds me, that I've seen whisperings of a color reader, but nothing yet. I have to say, when one comes out I'd LOVE it. I read a lot of graphic novels and they just don't work in B&W all the time. What's the status of graphic novels on readers?
Old 02-02-2009, 07:39 PM   #9
Jaie
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Most of us don't have a moment of "I must buy this ebook NOW! Cannot wait until I get home tonight!" during most days.
I'm glad you qualified this with "most". I HAVE had moments of I need this NOW! When dealing with a text. Usually it's a historical issue where I need to cite something or other and need something off Gutenberg. Luckily, my Aspire has Bluetooth and instant gratification. But I'm kinda stressing over filling up space. I have a 250 GIG external that is nearly full (in less than 2 months) with texts. I have to get a 2 TB drive soon. I realize I can't keep them all on ANY reader out there, but that instant gratification when arguing a historical issue with a fellow student or professor is kind of a good thing.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:21 PM   #10
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaie View Post
I'm glad you qualified this with "most". I HAVE had moments of I need this NOW! When dealing with a text. Usually it's a historical issue where I need to cite something or other and need something off Gutenberg.
I know that any feature or aspect of ebooks, there's *someone* that considers it crucially important.

But for instant downloads... a lot of us (me included) are not willing to pay an extra $50 for a Reader for the ability to buy books at whim. I'm especially not willing to pay the extra money *and* carry an extra half-paperback's worth of weight in hardware & batteries.

And as mentioned... software to work with 1 ebookstore? Quite possible. Software to work with *any* website? That's not "ebook download software;" it's a mobile browser with its own set of hassles. (Security. Navigation. Page refresh. Image quality. Javascript issues.)

An extra $50, an extra four ounces... either would've kept me away from the Sony Reader and had me looking for another used Clié, which I'd've used until it died.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:27 PM   #11
Jaie
Connoisseur

My whole issue with the Kindle is that its incredibly ugly. Yes, I realize it has its defenders, but I'm the one who has to be seen with it. And, my patience can more than likely hold out when I download to the Aspire then change it to my reader. I just don't want to have to fool with updating software, hacking anything etc. I want it to read what I shove into it and like it.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:30 PM   #12
Jaie
Connoisseur

And the CLIÉ is nice (and cheap $26 on eBay currently) but not really practical for me.