Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-10-2013, 08:19 AM   #1
shia86
shia86 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle4.1.1
I have trouble sync

I can't open http://spectrum.s3.amazonaws.com/kin.../wifistub.html due to my ISP.

Of course,i can contect isp with this problem

But i find that i can visit it using ip's way:http://72.21.211.167/kindle-wifi/wifistub.html

At first,we may think is DNS problem,but it's not.
Using `dig` command,i can see that it convert to ip properly
So i write
ip name
in /etc/hosts
But it doesn;t work as i expect.

what should i do
shia86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:32 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by shia86 View Post
I can't open http://spectrum.s3.amazonaws.com/kin.../wifistub.html due to my ISP.

Of course,i can contect isp with this problem

But i find that i can visit it using ip's way:http://72.21.211.167/kindle-wifi/wifistub.html

At first,we may think is DNS problem,but it's not.
Using `dig` command,i can see that it convert to ip properly
So i write
ip name
in /etc/hosts
But it doesn;t work as i expect.

what should i do
Copy what you wrote into /etc/hosts please, use the 'CODE' tags around it please.
(Note: the Windoze and the Linux hosts file use different formats and line endings.)

Also explain what you expected it to do and what it does.
"Does not work as expected" is worthless, since none of us can get inside your mind.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2013, 08:49 AM   #3
shia86

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Copy what you wrote into /etc/hosts please, use the 'CODE' tags around it please.
(Note: the Windoze and the Linux hosts file use different formats and line endings.)
Code:
72.21.195.161 spectrum.s3.amazonaws.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Also explain what you expected it to do and what it does.
I expect the /etc/hosts file can take effect and then i can open the website using name not ip
Old 02-10-2013, 09:01 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Code:
I expect the /etc/hosts file can take effect and then i can open the website using name not ip
Check that your /etc/nsswitch.conf lists 'files' as the first choice, like this **SAMPLE**:
Code:
# /etc/nsswitch.conf
#
# Example configuration of GNU Name Service Switch functionality.
# If you have the `glibc-doc-reference' and `info' packages installed, try:
# `info libc "Name Service Switch"' for information about this file.

passwd:         compat
group:          compat
shadow:         compat

hosts:          files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mdns4
networks:       files

protocols:      db files
services:       db files
ethers:         db files
rpc:            db files

netgroup:       nis
Old 02-10-2013, 09:13 AM   #5
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Code:

72.21.211.200 also resolves to this... as does 205.251.242.101, 72.21.215.165

You sure that IP is still good?

Last edited by twobob; 02-10-2013 at 09:18 AM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2013, 09:14 AM   #6
shia86

@Knc1
>Check that your /etc/nsswitch.conf lists 'files' as the first choice,
yes, file is in first place
Old 02-10-2013, 09:16 AM   #7
shia86

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
72.21.211.200 also resolves to this...

everytime i can open using this ip.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:19 AM   #8
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Why not use someone else's nameserver? IIRC that is not such a hard thing to setup.

Still an extra NS record in your DNS resolution thingy - point at someone with decent results?
Old 02-10-2013, 09:20 AM   #9
twobob

Quote:
everytime i can open using this ip.
okay yeah I see http://aws.amazon.com/s3/

fair enough
Old 02-10-2013, 09:22 AM   #10
twobob

[root@kindle root]# cat /etc/hosts
Quote:
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost kindle
192.168.15.200 usbnet-host-gw

and you have that?
Old 02-10-2013, 09:26 AM   #11
shia86

Quote:
[root@kindle root]# cat /etc/hosts

and you have that?

Code:
$: dig http://spectrum.s3.amazonaws.com

; <<>> DiG 9.8.1-P1 <<>> http://spectrum.s3.amazonaws.com
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 51052
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 4, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;http://spectrum.s3.amazonaws.com. IN	A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
http://spectrum.s3.amazonaws.com. 7519 IN CNAME	s3-directional-w.amazonaws.com.
s3-directional-w.amazonaws.com.	294 IN	CNAME	s3-directional-w.a-geo.amazonaws.com.
s3-directional-w.a-geo.amazonaws.com. 47 IN CNAME s3-1-w.amazonaws.com.
s3-1-w.amazonaws.com.	24	IN	A	176.32.100.64

;; Query time: 676 msec
;; SERVER: 211.137.130.3#53(211.137.130.3)
;; WHEN: Sun Feb 10 22:23:33 2013
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 155

yes,i also add bold part into /etc/hosts
Old 02-10-2013, 09:27 AM   #12
shia86

@twobob yes
Old 02-10-2013, 09:28 AM   #13
shia86

Quote:
Why not use someone else's nameserver? IIRC that is not such a hard thing to setup.

Still an extra NS record in your DNS resolution thingy - point at someone with decent results?
But it is not the DNS problem as many people pointed out
Old 02-10-2013, 09:29 AM   #14
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
72.21.211.200 also resolves to this... as does 205.251.242.101, 72.21.215.165

And if you should, in the future, choose to add the BBB firewall . . .
Remember that those ranges will be blocked on the Kindle.
You will need to manually comment out the block on the access point to the S3 services you want to use.

And the file which twobob mentioned is: /etc/resolv.conf
Which may be over-written by things like your network manager thingy, dhcp, and other "we know best" applications.
Meaning you may have to tweak each of those "we know best" application configurations to make a lasting change in DNS nameserver.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:37 AM   #15
twobob

Just so I am 100% clear on this..

It's YOUR ISP that is in some way messing up the resolution of the name. OR SOMETHING.
correct?

That is to say IT DOES WORK when you connect via 3g? correct?

Just trying to figure out how you know it's NOT working. Like, exactly what are you trying to do?

Okay USE CASE:

I open my browser on the kindle (for arguments sake) and type in your IP

The browser goes off and RESOLVES this (In the address bar where we can see it) to the aws.amazon.blah.blah.blah

What happens when you do this?

thanks.