Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-17-2012, 05:53 AM   #1
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
Suspicious phishing email

Here's a suspicious phishing email I received about the recent ebook pricing settlement.
Contents reproduced below.I'd be surprised if it real.

Benefits from an Attorney General E-books Settlement Fund

Para una notificación en Español, llamar o visitar nuestro website.

Settlement ID Number: xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Records indicate that you are eligible for a payment from Settlements reached by the State Attorneys General with E-book publishers Hachette, HarperCollins and Simon & Schuster. The Settlements resolve an antitrust lawsuit about the price of electronic books (“E-books”). Sony has not been sued in this case. It has provided information to the Claims Administrator to send this notice as a service to its customers.

What the Settlements Provide

The Settlements create a $69 million fund for payments to consumers who purchased qualifying E-books from April 1, 2010 through May 21, 2012. If the Court approves the Settlements, eligible consumers like you will receive payments. The amount of your payment has been determined based on the qualifying E-book purchases identified by Sony in your E-reader account.

How to Receive your Benefit

In order to receive a payment from the Settlements, you will need to submit a Claim Form with your name, address, and the Settlement ID Number above. You can file a Claim Form either online or by mail. Further information on how to file a Claim Form is available at the Settlement Website, www.EBookAGSettlements.com. Claim Forms must be filed online or postmarked by December 12, 2012. To complete your Claim Form, you will need only your name, address, and unique Settlement ID number listed at the top of this email. (If you bought E-books from more than one retailer, you may receive notices with different instructions about whether you will receive a credit or need to file a Claim Form for that retailer. You will have a separate claim for each retailer and you should follow the specific instructions from each one.)

Your Other Rights

You can choose to exclude yourself from the Settlements and keep your right to sue on your own. If you exclude yourself, you can't receive any benefits from the Settlements. If you don't exclude yourself, you can submit objections about the Settlements.

Your written Exclusion Form or objections must be postmarked by December 12, 2012. Please visit the Settlement website for detailed information on how to submit a valid Exclusion Form or objection.

The Court will hold a hearing on February 8, 2013 at 10 a.m. to consider whether to approve the Settlements. You or your own lawyer may ask to appear and speak at the hearing.

For more detailed information:
Call 1-866-621-4153 or Visit www.EBookAGSettlements.com
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:27 AM   #2
whichgrep
whichgrep began at the beginning.

Device: none
It does indeed look suspicious, but a google search for "attorney general ebook settlement" shows that there is some kind of legal thing going on; this link seems to point to the same URL as your email, so despite the amateurish appearance, it seems legit to me.
whichgrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2012, 07:27 AM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
The contents of this email were copied in the one Amazon sent out, and that was not a fake.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:34 AM   #4
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
I guess tech_au is going to be surprised...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:49 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Suppose there's any way I can arrange for my account to credited with all the settlement money of those who automatically assume they're being fished?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2012, 11:25 AM   #6
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Suppose there's any way I can arrange for my account to credited with all the settlement money of those who automatically assume they're being fished?
Fair's fair... I'll go 50/50 with you on the phish believers
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:39 AM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
In my email from Amazon it states that I do not have to fill out any claim forms. So it looks like there is some variation depending on where the books were published purchased.

Quote:
Benefits from an Attorney General E-books Settlement Fund

Para una notificación en Español, llamar o visitar nuestro website.

Records indicate that you are eligible for a payment from Settlements reached by the State Attorneys General with E-book publishers Hachette, HarperCollins, and Simon & Schuster. The Settlements resolve an antitrust lawsuit about the price of electronic books (“E-books”). Amazon.com has not been sued in this case. It is providing this notice as a service to its customers.

What the Settlements Provide

The Settlements create a $69 million fund for payments to consumers who purchased qualifying E-books from April 1, 2010 through May 21, 2012. If the Court approves the Settlements, eligible consumers like you will receive automatic credits to your E-reader accounts. The credit can be used on any purchases of E-books or print books. The amount of your payment has been determined based on the qualifying E-book purchases identified by Amazon.com in your E-reader account.

How to Receive your Benefit

Because you are pre-qualified, you do not need to do anything to receive your credit. It will be applied to your account by Amazon.com automatically, and you will receive another email letting you know when it’s available. (If you bought E-books from more than one retailer, you may receive notices with different instructions about whether you will receive a credit or need to file a Claim Form for that retailer. You will have a separate claim for each retailer and you should follow the specific instructions from each one.)

You also have the option to receive a check instead of your credit. You can request a check by calling 1-866-621-4153, or going to the Settlement website listed below, and clicking on the Check Request Option link. Be sure to reference the Settlement ID number found at the bottom of this email. The Settlement website is: www.EBookAGSettlements.com

Your Other Rights

You can choose to exclude yourself from the Settlements and keep your right to sue on your own. If you exclude yourself, you can’t receive any benefits from the Settlements. If you don’t exclude yourself, you can submit objections about the Settlements.

Your written Exclusion Form or objections must be postmarked by December 12, 2012. Please visit the Settlement website for detailed information on how to submit a valid Exclusion Form or objection.

A separate lawsuit against two other publishers and Apple, Inc. continues and is set for a trial in 2013. Your rights in the separate suit are not affected by any action you take in regards to these Settlements.

The Court will hold a hearing on February 8, 2013, at 10:00 a.m. to consider whether to approve the Settlements. You or your own lawyer may ask to appear and speak at the hearing.

Last edited by daffy4u; 10-17-2012 at 04:58 PM. Reason: purchased not published
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:45 AM   #8
mycurlylocks
Addict
mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Not phishing. I've received one pertaining to all but one book company I purchase from. I don't expect to get back much in credit from each, but something is better than nothing.
mycurlylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:52 PM   #9
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I got one of these recently, and just let it sit there. Figured I'd do some digging, but never got around to it.

Good to know that I may see a $2 credit, or whatever may be the total awarded to those under this settlement.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:54 PM   #10
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
daffy4u: It depends where you bought the books. Amazon, BN, and Kobo buyers get a credit automatically. They can choose a check if they want. Sony and Google buyers have to fill out a claim form but it is relativly painless since they have a settlement number. BOB users and other folks without a settlement number have to fill out a claim form and list each title, price, were purchased, ISBN, date purchased and some other info in order to get a refund.

Amazon's email gives you Amazon's take on things and then the offical email that so many people think is phising. I get the feeling that some of the other stores are just sending out the offical email and not adding a store email which makes the entire thing seem less suspicious.

I also guess that there are people posting here who have not read the other threads on this and are not realizing that this has been discussed and is not phishing. This is the third or fourth topic asking about phishing.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:57 PM   #11
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
daffy4u: It depends where you bought the books. Amazon, BN, and Kobo buyers get a credit automatically. They can choose a check if they want. Sony and Google buyers have to fill out a claim form but it is relativly painless since they have a settlement number. BOB users and other folks without a settlement number have to fill out a claim form and list each title, price, were purchased, ISBN, date purchased and some other info in order to get a refund.

Amazon's email gives you Amazon's take on things and then the offical email that so many people think is phising. I get the feeling that some of the other stores are just sending out the offical email and not adding a store email which makes the entire thing seem less suspicious.

I also guess that there are people posting here who have not read the other threads on this and are not realizing that this has been discussed and is not phishing. This is the third or fourth topic asking about phishing.

I mean't to type "it looks like there is some variation depending on where the books were purchased." not "published" Sorry for the confusion.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:11 PM   #12
mbelec
Addict
mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, Ipad 3
Hi - I have a Sony reader; will Sony notify me by email or do I have to somehow locate the form to fill out?
mbelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:05 PM   #13
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Sony should send an email. So far Kobo and Amazon have sent emails.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:22 PM   #14
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbelec View Post
Hi - I have a Sony reader; will Sony notify me by email or do I have to somehow locate the form to fill out?
From the website:
File A Claim

If you bought E-book(s) through Amazon, you are not required to file a Claim Form to participate in the Settlements. You will receive a credit in your retailer account or you can request a check.

If you bought E-book(s) through Apple, Barnes & Noble or Kobo, you are not required to file a Claim Form to participate in this Settlement. You will receive an email or postcard notice with information about how to activate your credit or you can request a check.

If you bought E-books from Google or Sony, you are required to complete an online Claim Form. You will need to provide your Settlement ID number (sent to you in an email or postcard), account email address and mailing information when submitting your Claim. You will not be required to provide the purchase information for your eligible E-book purchases.

Sony Customers: When you are notified that your "Name is on File", you will not be able to enter information in the name fields. Your name will not be displayed on the online Claim Form.
If you bought E-book(s) from any other retailer not named above you are required to file a Claim Form in order to receive a settlement payment. Claim Forms must be filed online or mailed postmarked by December 12, 2012

Grrr, I live in Minnesota, and I am not eligible because my AG didn't sign up for the lawsuit. I should send her a letter to complain.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:31 AM   #15
mbelec
Addict
mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, Ipad 3
Maybe my state, Maine, isn't part either; no email for me from anyone.
mbelec is offline   Reply With Quote