Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-12-2012, 09:58 AM   #31
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by felonwan View Post
I found that the battery have 4 electrodes. I don't know the function of the two with signs of c and d. It is properly the circuits of security.

Is that possible to cheat the Kindle by using a different battery or a AC adapter?
Incorrect charging can destroy your battery, and possibly start a fire. The extra battery terminals are used by lithium battery chargers, and to communicate with the kindle (which can read the battery internal serial number and other information).

EDIT: The kindle firmware interrogates the battery to verify that it is an AUTHENTIC amazon-approved battery. However, battery manufacturers can (and do) create clones that will pass the authenticity check, even if they do not contain all required safety features. Cheap replacement batteries may not be as safe a REAL authentic approved batteries.

Last edited by geekmaster; 09-12-2012 at 10:05 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:24 PM   #32
felonwan
Enthusiast
felonwan can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.felonwan can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.felonwan can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.felonwan can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.felonwan can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.felonwan can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.felonwan can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.felonwan can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.felonwan can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.felonwan can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.felonwan can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kindle 3G
I frozen the battery in a refrigerate for nearly two days. Then recharge it for one night. Now the led can turn green, and Kindle shows the initializing picture (the amazon logo and reading child under the tree), then it got stuck there.

I can get informations using k3flasher now:
$sudo ./k3flasher mx35to2_mmc.bin info
I: found suitable device
E: wrong transfer length, wanted to receive 8 bytes but received 4 bytes.
I: above error can be ignored, it's due to the device being in ROM kernel mode
I: RAM kernel should be running now. Trying to re-open device: .
I: got it.
I: read info
I: got size 1048576 (probably wrong)
I: downloading 0x00000200 (=512) bytes, starting at 0x00040c00
I: DO NOT MAKE THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION PUBLIC!
I: if you need to discuss it in public, obfuscate
I: e.g. the second half of the numbers.
I: got device serial number <...>
I: got device Wifi MAC <...>

The battery still can not hold long, so I'll just try to charge the battery for longer time. If that won't work, I'll buy a new one.

Last edited by felonwan; 09-13-2012 at 04:37 AM.
felonwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2012, 02:29 AM   #33
felonwan
Enthusiast
felonwan can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.felonwan can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.felonwan can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.felonwan can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.felonwan can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.felonwan can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.felonwan can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.felonwan can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.felonwan can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.felonwan can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.felonwan can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
EDIT: The kindle firmware interrogates the battery to verify that it is an AUTHENTIC amazon-approved battery. However, battery manufacturers can (and do) create clones that will pass the authenticity check, even if they do not contain all required safety features. Cheap replacement batteries may not be as safe a REAL authentic approved batteries.
I always wondering that why the authentic charger can only charge the battery. Why they do not provide an AC Adapter like that for laptop which is capable to run the device without the battery?

Last edited by felonwan; 09-13-2012 at 04:30 AM.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:42 AM   #34
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
I always wondering that why the authentic charger can only charge the battery. Why they do not provide an AC Adapter like that for laptop which is capable to run the device without the battery?
Other chargers can also charge the battery.

The kindles may have a 3G modem, and its peak load may exceed what the charger can provide through a microUSB port. In fact, on some devices such as an iPad, it is reported that the battery still drains if you use it at full brightness while it is attached to its charger.

If the kindle checks for an approved charger by some kind of communications with a chip in the charger, it could be for deciding what charging method to use (fast or slow). I have not seen that in the GPL source code though.

But I have seen code that checks for a special file (similar to ENABLE_DIAGS) on the USB drive to allow booting without an approved battery (with code comments that it is for hardware testing purposes), so it may be possible to run on a charger without a battery if you set this flag. That way you could still use a kindle (tethered to a charger or external battery), even if its own battery is toast (as seems to be the case in multiple K3 posts in the parent forum).
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:14 AM   #35
felonwan
Enthusiast

Ha, great hope!
I got a new battery, and now k3flasher works right.
I have just programed the 3.3 kernel img. Now the rootfs is in progress...
Hope this works!

Another question: what is function of the mmcblk0p2.img and how to download it to Kindle?

Last edited by felonwan; 09-19-2012 at 02:22 AM. Reason: detail description
Advert
Old 09-19-2012, 04:23 AM   #36
felonwan
Enthusiast

Now the programing of rootfs is over, however, my K3g is still unresponsive.
The log of the programing shows:
Code:
$sudo ./k3flasher mx35to2_mmc.bin program rootfs ./mmcblk0p1.img
I: flashed 0x001f0000 (=2031616) bytes
I: flashed 0x00200000 (=2097152) bytes
I: flashing of 0x00200000 (=2097152) bytes complete
I: writing 0x00200000 (=2097152) bytes to address 0x28bc1000, waiting for completion...
I: wrote 0x00200000 (=2097152) bytes, waiting for completion...
I: flashed 0x00010000 (=65536) bytes
I: flashed 0x00020000 (=131072) bytes
I: flashed 0x00030000 (=196608) bytes
I: flashed 0x00040000 (=262144) bytes
I: flashed 0x00050000 (=327680) bytes
I: flashed 0x00060000 (=393216) bytes
I: flashed 0x00070000 (=458752) bytes
I: flashed 0x00080000 (=524288) bytes
I: flashed 0x00090000 (=589824) bytes
I: flashed 0x000a0000 (=655360) bytes
I: flashed 0x000b0000 (=720896) bytes
I: flashed 0x000c0000 (=786432) bytes
I: flashed 0x000d0000 (=851968) bytes
I: flashed 0x000e0000 (=917504) bytes
I: flashed 0x000f0000 (=983040) bytes
I: flashed 0x00100000 (=1048576) bytes
I: flashed 0x00110000 (=1114112) bytes
I: flashed 0x00120000 (=1179648) bytes
I: flashed 0x00130000 (=1245184) bytes
I: flashed 0x00140000 (=1310720) bytes
I: flashed 0x00150000 (=1376256) bytes
I: flashed 0x00160000 (=1441792) bytes
I: flashed 0x00170000 (=1507328) bytes
I: flashed 0x00180000 (=1572864) bytes
I: flashed 0x00190000 (=1638400) bytes
I: flashed 0x001a0000 (=1703936) bytes
I: flashed 0x001b0000 (=1769472) bytes
I: flashed 0x001c0000 (=1835008) bytes
I: flashed 0x001d0000 (=1900544) bytes
I: flashed 0x001e0000 (=1966080) bytes
I: flashed 0x001f0000 (=2031616) bytes
I: flashed 0x00200000 (=2097152) bytes
I: flashing of 0x00200000 (=2097152) bytes complete
I: writing 0x00007000 (=28672) bytes to address 0x28dc1000, waiting for completion...
I: wrote 0x00007000 (=28672) bytes, waiting for completion...
I: flashing of 0x00007000 (=28672) bytes complete
So, I think it does finished the rootfs pushing.

Now, the k3flasher can not connect the device again. The device seems still in USB downlaoder mode:
Code:
$lsusb |grep Free
Bus 002 Device 043: ID 15a2:0030 Freescale Semiconductor, Inc.
$sudo ./keflasher mx35to2_mmc.bin info
I: found suitable device
I: above error can be ignored, it's due to the device being in ROM kernel mode
I: RAM kernel should be running now. Trying to re-open device: .
I: got it.
I: read info
E: aborting. It is suggested you power-cycle the device.
I guess the battery power is probably exhausted. I'm charging the battery now.

Well, the previous version of my K3 is 3.0.2. Now it seems I just upgrade it to v3.3 directly from 3.0.2, I don't know whether this will cause some problems, I just didn't follow the 'first 3.1 then 3.3' order says by Amazon...

Last edited by felonwan; 09-19-2012 at 04:33 AM.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:53 AM   #37
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Let it re-charge (yeah, I know, you have experience with that advice now )

But there may be an incompatibility between the installed kernel and the file system that is now installed.
If it is still broke after a full re-charge, that would be the next step, use K3Flasher to install the matching kernel.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:39 PM   #38
felonwan
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Let it re-charge (yeah, I know, you have experience with that advice now )

But there may be an incompatibility between the installed kernel and the file system that is now installed.
If it is still broke after a full re-charge, that would be the next step, use K3Flasher to install the matching kernel.
What matching kernel? I have already installed both the 3.3 kernel and 3.3 rootfs. It did not work. K3flasher still show the 'power-cycle' thing.

My K3 seems always entering the USB Download mode every time I put the battery on (connected to linux shows the 'freescale semiconductor' things). Maybe it is in some recovery loop? The led light always went out after hours, neither plugged in PC or connected to a charger. So, I guess it is the recovery loop that exhausted the power.

However, if the flash hardware is well, this should not happen after I have pushed the kernel and rootfs in! Isn't It?
Old 09-20-2012, 01:08 AM   #39
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
What matching kernel? I have already installed both the 3.3 kernel and 3.3 rootfs. It did not work. K3flasher still show the 'power-cycle' thing.

My K3 seems always entering the USB Download mode every time I put the battery on (connected to linux shows the 'freescale semiconductor' things). Maybe it is in some recovery loop? The led light always went out after hours, neither plugged in PC or connected to a charger. So, I guess it is the recovery loop that exhausted the power.

However, if the flash hardware is well, this should not happen after I have pushed the kernel and rootfs in! Isn't It?
In your post that I replied to, you did not mention flashing the 3.3 kernel, you only posted that you had flashed the system image.

Put your terminal emulator into "capture to file" mode -
Restart the Kindle -
Save the capture file -
Compress the capture file (any compressor, even zip or 7zip) -
Attach compressed file to your next post.

My eyes are getting very bad, I can not read your device's messages from over here.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:10 AM   #40
felonwan
Enthusiast

Quote:
In your post that I replied to, you did not mention flashing the 3.3 kernel, you only posted that you had flashed the system image.

Put your terminal emulator into "capture to file" mode -
Restart the Kindle -
Save the capture file -
Compress the capture file (any compressor, even zip or 7zip) -
Attach compressed file to your next post.

My eyes are getting very bad, I can not read your device's messages from over here.

I've attached the log file.

Current situation is rather confused. I guess there are some possibilities:
1. The battery charger is not well or the new battery I bought also worn out.
2. Software errors beyond the kernel and rootfs system damage.
3. Some other hardware errors: like the flash.
I'll just charge the battery longer to see...
Attached Files
File Type: txt flash.log.txt (2.9 KB, 181 views)

Last edited by felonwan; 09-20-2012 at 04:37 AM.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:13 AM   #41
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
I don't see an attachment?

EDIT -> GO ADVANCED -> MANAGE ATTACHMENTS?

cheers
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:04 AM   #42
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:

I've attached the log file.

Current situation is rather confused. I guess there are some possibilities:
1. The battery charger is not well or the new battery I bought also worn out.
2. Software errors beyond the kernel and rootfs system damage.
3. Some other hardware errors: like the flash.
I'll just charge the battery longer to see...
#1 is what happened to me and my K3

The wall charger that came with the K3 silently died, and nearly let the K3 over-discharge its battery.

A quick check -
Find something USB with an LED in it (like an optical mouse that lights up when moving) - plug into charger - does the LED light when it should?
Old 09-20-2012, 10:32 PM   #43
felonwan
Enthusiast

Unhappy

Quote:
#1 is what happened to me and my K3

The wall charger that came with the K3 silently died, and nearly let the K3 over-discharge its battery.

A quick check -
Find something USB with an LED in it (like an optical mouse that lights up when moving) - plug into charger - does the LED light when it should?
I think it's not the problem of charger. Charging with different chargers and connected to PC show the same phenomena: LED of K3 went out after hours. And PC can't find Kindle connection after the LED light went out. Re-pluging the USB port let kindle enter into USB Download mode.

Code:
$ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 111: ID 03f0:152a Hewlett-Packard 
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
$ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 106: ID 15a2:0030 Freescale Semiconductor, Inc. 
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 111: ID 03f0:152a Hewlett-Packard 
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Last edited by felonwan; 09-20-2012 at 10:39 PM.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:46 AM   #44
felonwan
Enthusiast

My Kindle 3g (special offer) always enters into the USB LOADER MODE every time after released from the holding of reset button for longer than 15s. Using 'lsusb' command, I found the connection periodically lost after 90s and then reconnect after 3s. Is this normal?

Maybe it's the reason why LED light went out after hours of connected to charger or PC.

Code:
#/bin/bash
while :
do
info=`lsusb | grep -i free`
if [ $? -eq 0 ];then
	sleep 1
else
         date
         sleep 1
fi
done

Last edited by felonwan; 09-23-2012 at 08:58 AM.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:58 AM   #45
knc1
Going Viral

Yes, that is part of the "USB LOADER" code that runs before it senses any activity.
If you just sit and watch it, after awhile it will give up and do a hard reset of the SoC.