Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Kindle Books

Notices

Old 02-23-2010, 01:44 PM   #31
sstaley
sstaley can extract oil from cheesesstaley can extract oil from cheesesstaley can extract oil from cheesesstaley can extract oil from cheesesstaley can extract oil from cheesesstaley can extract oil from cheesesstaley can extract oil from cheesesstaley can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle
Frood Scan and Proof Complete

HarryT: Let me know if you'd like me to send the file to you, and in which format(s). Of course I can always attach it here as doc and rtf. --Steve
sstaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 02:51 AM   #32
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstaley View Post
HarryT: Let me know if you'd like me to send the file to you, and in which format(s). Of course I can always attach it here as doc and rtf. --Steve
I did answer your PM, Steve - didn't you get my reply? I'd love to have it; if you attach it here as RTF I'll get it incorporated into the appropriate volume right away.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2010, 03:11 PM   #33
sstaley
sstaley can extract oil from cheesesstaley can extract oil from cheesesstaley can extract oil from cheesesstaley can extract oil from cheesesstaley can extract oil from cheesesstaley can extract oil from cheesesstaley can extract oil from cheesesstaley can extract oil from cheese

Here you go, Harry. Sorry I missed your earlier reply, but I'm glad we finally got in touch. I've attached the rtf file here. In case the info is helpful, I've also sent it over to Colin Choat at Project Gutenberg Australia.

The scanning and proofing project was time-consuming and quite intense. But since I was reading the novel at the same time as I was proofing it, I also had fun in the experience! And "Frood" is actually quite an enjoyable "Thorndyke" read. I don't know if you've had a chance to read it, but I'd be interested in your reaction if and when you do. I won't comment so as to avoid any potential "spoilers" for you and others who read this.

Thank you for all the very useful work you've put in on assembling the Thorndyke works, Harry--well done!

Steve
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: rtf Frood.rtf (957.5 KB, 917 views)
Old 02-27-2010, 05:05 AM   #34
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks!
Old 02-28-2010, 05:59 AM   #35
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Added "The Mystery of Angelina Frood" to Vol 3 (very kindly scanned and proofed by MR user "sstaley"). Corrected the HTML errors in all volumes, and added new cover images. Uploaded new versions of all volumes.
Advert
Old 03-17-2010, 08:25 AM   #36
Conor
Groupie
Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kobo Touch
I've got a copy of "Dr Thorndyke Intervenes" which I'll scan and upload when time permits.
It mentions an R A Freeman novel I hadn't hear of before - "Flighty Phyllis"
Quote:
Chronicling the adventures and misadventures of Phyllis Dudley, Richard Austin Freeman brings to life a charming character always getting into scrapes. From impersonating a man to discovering mysterious trap doors, Flighty Phyllis is an entertaining glimpse at the times and trials of a wayward woman.

Last edited by Conor; 03-17-2010 at 08:26 AM. Reason: typo
Conor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:50 AM   #37
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conor View Post
I've got a copy of "Dr Thorndyke Intervenes" which I'll scan and upload when time permits.
If you could please do so, that would be fantastic. PG Australia have just released "Dr. Thorndyke Investigates", which leaves "Dr. Thorndyke Intervenes" as the only missing book. Your upload would be VERY much appreciated.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:30 PM   #38
sstaley

Conor--thanks for the update. I'm sorry I haven't communicated this earlier, and I hope it didn't cost you lots of hard work--but I found "Dr. Thorndyke Intervenes" through interlibrary loan and have finished scanning it. I'm now about 25% through proofing it, and will send it to HarryT here and to Colin Choat at Project Gutenberg Australia (PGA) just as soon as I'm done proofing. I hope this will save you the tedium of scanning and proofing.

I collected the five previously published stories assembled in the 1930 publication of "Dr. Thorndyke Investigates" and sent it to PGA, and they've since posted it. Here's the publication info I sent along with the text file:

This collection of previously published short stories was published in the "Treasuries of Modern Prose" series for the University of London Press, Ltd, 10 & 11 Warwick Lane, E.C.4, by Hazell, Watson and Viney , Ltd., London and Aylesbury in 1930. There's a short note included: "Acknowledgments are due to the Author and to Messrs. Hoder & Stroughton, Ltd., his publishers, for permission to use the stories in this book."

The volume was acquired via our Interlibrary Loan service from:

The British Library
Boston Spa
P.O. Box 117
Wetherby
West Yorkshire LS23 7HT
United Kingdom

The contents are listed within the volume as follows:

I THE BLUE SEQUIN (from The Singing Bone) Page 9

II THE NEW JERSEY SPHINX (from Dr. Thorndyke's Case Book) Page 33

III THE MAGIC CASKET (from The Magic Casket) Page 68

IV THE PATHOLOGIST TO THE RESUE (from The Magic Casket) Page 101

V THE TOUCHSTONE (from Dr. Thorndyke's Case Book) Page 129

All five stories are already contained in GPA's "Dr Thorndyke Short Story Omnibus (1928), a.k.a. The Famous Cases of Dr. Thorndyke." Four of the attributions are in agreement. However, you'll notice a discrepancy in the GPA file where "The Blue Sequin" is attributed to JOHN THORNDYKE'S CASES 1909, while Dr. Thorndyke Investigates attributes "The Blue Sequin" to THE SINGING BONE. Not having the latter in front of me, I'm not sure which is correct. I've followed the GPA attribution in the attached text.

In addition, Mr. Choat assembled and listed the stories and essays in "Dr. Thorndyke's Crime File," (1941) which includes the following:

MEET DR. THORNDYKE (essay)
THE EYE OF OSIRIS
THE ART OF THE DETECTIVE STORY (essay)
THE MYSTERY OF ANGELINA FROOD
[5A KING'S BENCH WALK] This piece is not available in this ebook
MR. POTTERMACK'S OVERSIGHT.

So we're still looking for "5A King's Bench Walk" (short story, I think). And your reference to "Flighty Phyllis" is intriguing. I found it on "Google Books" (only selected pages) at this link:

http://books.google.com/books?id=Y0i...age&q=&f=false

Cheers to all,

Steve
Old 03-17-2010, 12:56 PM   #39
sstaley

Conor--just had a brainstorm! If you still haven't scanned "Intervenes," and would like to share the proofing time, I'd be delighted to send you the .rtf file. We can coordinate on which chapters we're proofing--I'm currently in chapter 5, "The Great Platinum Robbery," and would be happy to split things with you however your time and inclination permits. (As it is, it'll take me weeks to finish the proofing by myself, what with grading papers and other time-consuming duties coming up.) Let me know, either here or at my email address: sstaley@coloradotech.edu .

Cheers, Steve
Old 03-17-2010, 02:40 PM   #40
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Just to let you know, Steve, I've now thoroughly proof-read "The Mystery of Angelina Frood" and found and fixed a couple of hundred errors in it. I'll upload a new version of Vol 3 shortly with all the books in it fully proofed. Most of the errors in "Angelina Frood" were extraneous punctuation marks (probably dirty marks on the page, picked up by the scanner), hyphens which should have been dashes, and "I" and lower-case-L replaced by the digit "1". In other words, typical scanning errors. As far as the actual text itself is concerned, though, your scan was excellent.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:44 PM   #41
Conor
Groupie
Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstaley View Post
Conor--thanks for the update. I'm sorry I haven't communicated this earlier, and I hope it didn't cost you lots of hard work-
No problem, I hadn't started. Suppose I start from chapter XII (about half way through). I've sent you an email address by PM, if you can send me the whole file.
[5A KING'S BENCH WALK] an essay not a short story apparently.

Last edited by Conor; 03-17-2010 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Additional information.
Conor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:55 PM   #42
sstaley

Conor--I'm delighted to be able to split the proofing! Chapter 12 sounds like a great place for you to start. Unfortunately your PM email didn't come through. Could you try again, at sstaley@coloradotech.edu ? I'll then send you the .rtf file.

HarryT--thanks for the info on the proofing you did. Glad it's in the can!

Steve
Old 03-17-2010, 05:57 PM   #43
sstaley

Conor--I did find your PM. Thanks--rtf is coming. --Steve
Old 03-19-2010, 05:56 AM   #44
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I've just realised that the newly-released "Dr. Thorndyke Investigates" is nothing more than a reprint of 5 short stories from other books which are already included in my anthology. I shall not, therefore, add it. I'll add a note to volume 5 (where it should be) explaining this.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:45 AM   #45
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The "missing" book from Vol 5, "Dr. Thorndyke Investigates", is nothing more than a compilation of short stories from earlier books. I've included the table of contents for the book, and referred the reader to the original source for each of the stories. Uploaded a new version of Vol 5.