Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 03-30-2011, 04:37 PM   #1
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
New York Times Paywall?

Can anyone report on the effect of the NYT paywall on the Calibre recipe? I don't subscribe, don't use the recipe and don't have a user/pass for the site, but I'm curious.

I spent some time trying to trigger the paywall by accessing about 45 articles directly from the NYT site, but never saw a restriction. I know the paywall intentionally has lots of holes, and I presume my default cookie/script blocking was somehow allowing full access, but I wondered what others were seeing and whether the paywall had affected the builtin recipe.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:02 PM   #2
nickredding
onlinenewsreader.net
nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, IPad3, iPhone4, Playbook, HTC Inspire
The paywall doesn't go up until the end of March in the US.
nickredding is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2011, 07:48 AM   #3
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickredding View Post
The paywall doesn't go up until the end of March in the US.
Several New York papers said it started March 28. I read a few reports from others that they'd encountered it (on purpose) and discussed multiple ways to bypass it. Some of those ways indicated to me that the Calibre recipe might not be affected.

Here's one link:
http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowln...s-today_b31235
And another:
http://www.mediabuyerplanner.com/ent...-15-per-month/
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 02:42 PM   #4
nickredding
onlinenewsreader.net
nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, IPad3, iPhone4, Playbook, HTC Inspire
I'm in Canada right now (where the paywall went up early in March so the NYT could debug it using Canadian viewers) and calibre doesn't seem to be affected. Perhaps the NYT is relying on cookie handling via javascript.
nickredding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:48 PM   #5
nrickson
nrickson began at the beginning.

Device: none
I read that the paywall would not apply to digital e-reader downloads, such as Kindle. Not sure yet. Also, the paywall does not apply to articles accessed by search engines.
nrickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2011, 07:12 PM   #6
RoboBlaster
RoboBlaster began at the beginning.

Device: RoboBlaster@gmail.com
The prevention measure NYT uses for the paywall is a javascript that grays out the page and displays a box asking for subscription. As the recipes ignore javascripting like that, the paywall feature doesn't affect calibre's fetching.
RoboBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:53 PM   #7
donnah
donnah began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-5050, kobo touch
Still Works

I live in Canada where the NYT paywall has been up for two weeks already. I can confirm that the calibre recipe still fetches the NYT without a hitch.
donnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:33 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I'm pretty sure the paywall isn't affecting calibre, if it was we'd have heard from lots of people by now
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote