Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 04-04-2011, 04:28 AM   #46
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
v1.3.1 Released

This fixes a bug reported by Idolse in the Plugin Updater thread. It only affected users migrating from a particular earlier version of this plugin, darn copy/paste caught me out
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:27 AM   #47
Bertrand
Zealot
Bertrand began at the beginning.

Device: None
I have the same problem as mentionned by another user (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=39).

Window Seven SP1, 64 bits, and latest version of the plugin.

On my computer, calibre always crashes at the same moment : when I click the checkbox "Apply" next to the "Stroke" field.
After that, the whole plugin do not work anymore, it crashes calibre as soon as I click the button "Generate Cover".
I remove the json file, and it works again.

Code:
  Nom d’événement de problème:	APPCRASH
  Nom de l’application:	calibre.exe
  Version de l’application:	0.7.53.0
  Horodatage de l’application:	4d961400
  Nom du module par défaut:	CORE_RL_magick_.dll
  Version du module par défaut:	4.0.1.0
  Horodateur du module par défaut:	4d22a340
  Code de l’exception:	c0000005
  Décalage de l’exception:	0003f222
  Version du système:	6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
  Identificateur de paramètres régionaux:	1036
  Information supplémentaire n°*1:	0a9e
  Information supplémentaire n°*2:	0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
  Information supplémentaire n°*3:	0a9e
  Information supplémentaire n°*4:	0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
I tried calibre-debug -g but no messages in the dos window. Or is it in a log file ? If so, where is this file ?
Bertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2011, 07:37 AM   #48
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertrand View Post
I tried calibre-debug -g but no messages in the dos window. Or is it in a log file ? If so, where is this file ?
Run calibre from the command prompt using:

calibre-debug -g 1> log.txt 2>&1

After calibre crashes review the log.txt file in calibre's program directory.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:51 AM   #49
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As this is a windows crash the chances are that there won't be any debug window output from Calibre.

Perhaps it is a font thing - have you tried choosing a different font in the generate cover dialog? My setup is the same as yours in terms of Win 7 64-bit SP1, but I've never had this crash. It looks like an issue in the Magick libraries which is not plugin code and beyond my expertise. If you can figure out any scenario to replicate it then perhaps Kovid can take a look.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:09 AM   #50
Bertrand
Zealot

It happens no matter which font I choose.
And log file is empty.
Advert
Old 04-06-2011, 09:34 AM   #51
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

So does the problem only happen when you turn on the apply stroke color option? Does it happen every time or sporadically? Does choosing a different book make a difference (i.e. different text?)

I'm afraid without being able to replicate it we will need you to try to isolate down a cause to do anything about it.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:25 AM   #52
Bertrand
Zealot

I've been playing with all the settings : it happens on every book I tried (all epub files); it happens every time; and only when I check the "Apply" checkbox. It freezes 3 or 4 seconds, then crashes.
I tried without changing anything, just clicking the check box, same result.
I run a search on the file CORE_RL_magick_.dll, just to see. I have 2 of them, one in calibre2, the other in an obscure Adobe folder.

All I can say for now :-)
Old 04-06-2011, 11:12 AM   #53
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Ok, so if I understand you correctly it only crashes if you try to apply a stroke color. That without a stroke color it runs fine?

In terms of dlls, I only have one of that name on my system, within the Calibre2 folder of version 4.0.1.0.

Other than suggest you don't add a stroke color I'm afraid there is nothing more I can suggest, other than to try it on another PC/laptop if you have one and see what happens. I've been using Generate Cover a lot (with stroke turned on) the last few days and hasn't skipped a beat. Whether it is a graphics driver issue on your machine or whatever I have not the foggiest I'm afraid.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:47 AM   #54
Bertrand
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
Ok, so if I understand you correctly it only crashes if you try to apply a stroke color. That without a stroke color it runs fine?
Correct. Only this little checkbox is rebellious :-)

Same thing on my laptop, same configuration.

Quote:
Other than suggest you don't add a stroke color I'm afraid there is nothing more I can suggest
That's okay, I just wanted to mention this incident, I don't particularly need this option.
Like your others plugins, this is a very good tool.

Thanks for your time.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:39 AM   #55
ThePage
Connoisseur
ThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 4, eBookwise & Literati
36 colors cut to default cover size of 590 x 750 pixels

I wasn't able to distinguish all 48 colors in the chart - I started with the 28 given in the lower corner of the paint program, then added what I could from the color mixing grid as bitmaps - 36/48 supposedly available.

I thought that pre-cut backgrounds would be a reasonable starting point for custom cover design. Feel free to make adjustments before tacking down in an appropriate spot for reference of this plug-in's user's.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Colors.zip (114.2 KB, 723 views)
ThePage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:47 AM   #56
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Hi ThePage - sorry if I am missing something here, but what do these backgrounds offer that using the "Background" option under "Colors" from within the Generate Cover plugin cannot do?
Old 04-08-2011, 05:19 AM   #57
ThePage
Connoisseur
ThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 4, eBookwise & Literati
I hadn't noticed that until you told me where to find it - but I thought that some might want to use paint or another art program to create custom covers - I made precut solid colored bitmaps to the size given in the plug-in interface as a shortcut starting point for this purpose.
ThePage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 08:48 PM   #58
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

v1.3.2 Released

Changes in this release:
  • Support skinning of icons by putting them in a plugin name subfolder of local resources/images
Old 04-18-2011, 02:07 PM   #59
CuttingEdge
CuttingEdge doesn't litterCuttingEdge doesn't litterCuttingEdge doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS950
Total uninstall

I have been reading these forums for a while now but I just registered because I have a compelling problem that I need your help with. Kiwidude I LOVE your plugins, especially Generate Cover because I am OCD about having pretty covers. Anyway, while using this excellent tool I made a fatal error and now I can no longer use it. I set up a lattice frame and was trying to put the text inside the frame. I was testing the margins to accomplish this and accidentally set a margin wider than the width of the cover. Now when I try to use the plugin I get a spinning wheel. The only way out is to shut down Calibre. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the plugin and restarting my computer (running under Windows7) to no avail. How can I completely remove the plugin so that I can do a clean reinstall? Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

Last edited by CuttingEdge; 04-18-2011 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Formatting
CuttingEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 02:16 PM   #60
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Hi CuttingEdge, welcome to MobileRead.

Sounds like I need some validation in there - my guess is some of that Magick library doesn't like what it is being passed

To fix the issue, take a look in the plugins configuration folder for "Generate Cover.json". You can get to this folder from Preferences->Miscellaneous->Open calibre configuration directory and go to the plugins subfolder.

Now you can either just delete the Generate Cover.json file, or more usefully you might want to just manually edit it. You will see a number of entries of "margins" - whichever one you changed too large just set if back to a small number like 0. Remember it will be in multiple places in the file depending on whether you saved the settings or not.

Good luck and if you still have issues let me know.