Old 06-09-2007, 03:17 AM   #1
dyspepsic
dyspepsic began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs500
Thumbs down Power consumption woes

http://ebooks.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/e...hp?p_faqid=837

"Turning the page is the only time power is consumed. "

Why such a blatant lie, Sony?

Anyone who owns a PRS500 knows that the battery runs down within a couple weeks of charging it, even if one seldom uses it. I dont recall if this was a problem before the unfortunate firmware update in Feb, but it needs to be fixed. This seriously limits portability. I find it especially irritating that Sony advertises 7000 page turns per charge. At best, I would estimate 1500 page turns.

I would not buy this product again and would be hard pressed to buy anything from Sony again.
dyspepsic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 04:04 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyspepsic View Post
http://ebooks.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/e...hp?p_faqid=837

"Turning the page is the only time power is consumed. "

Why such a blatant lie, Sony?
You have quoted that phrase completely out of context; it is not a lie. The full text reads:

"Due to the nature of the E Ink electronic display technology, the LCD can retain an image without having power. Turning the page is the only time power is consumed. If the Reader's power is drained, the LCD will retain the last image that was displayed, thus making it appear like the Reader is frozen and in some instances it will not have enough power to perform other operations such as turning on or off."

ie, They are saying that the display only consumes power when a new image is displayed, hence it's possible to be left with the screen showing an image even when the Reader's battery is completely and utterly drained. It's always a good idea to read these things properly!

Quote:
Anyone who owns a PRS500 knows that the battery runs down within a couple weeks of charging it, even if one seldom uses it.
No, that is incorrect. A battery charge should last approximately a month with the machine turned off. It will lose about one "bar" of power every 7-10 days. This is because the operating system is always running.

Quote:
I dont recall if this was a problem before the unfortunate firmware update in Feb, but it needs to be fixed.
Yes, it was, and to be honest with you I really don't see what needs to be "fixed", as you put it. The Reader has a battery life which throws every other book reader out there into the shade. You're complaining about the fact that it needs to be charged once a month????

Quote:
This seriously limits portability.
Why?

Quote:
I find it especially irritating that Sony advertises 7000 page turns per charge. At best, I would estimate 1500 page turns.
A battery charge will allow the display to refresh approximately 7500 times. Naturally the operating system also uses power for other things.

Quote:
I would not buy this product again and would be hard pressed to buy anything from Sony again.
I am completely baffled by your complaints - you seem to have a fundamental lack of understand about how devices such as this operate. The reason that the machine "turns on" instantly when you press the power button is precisely because the operating system is running constantly. Would you really want to have to wait a minute before you could start reading every time you turned the machine on? That would be the consequence of doing a "cold boot" each time!

I mean, look at it. You have to charge the machine perhaps once every few weeks. You're complaining? What do you want?

Geez!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2007, 09:11 AM   #3
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
From a portability standpoint I can only say that I've been able to take a week long trip to Europe, reading on the plane both ways and in the evenings and when I returned I still had 3/4 bars of charge left on the device. Coming from an Iliad I find the battery life amazing and I've stopped traveling with the charger.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 09:38 AM   #4
jsutton02
jsutton02 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
I agree totally with dyspepsic.

I too am only getting on average 1500 pages per charge.

Also if I don't use the reader for a couple of weeks the battery is drained.
jsutton02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 09:44 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If your battery is draining after two weeks and 1500 page turns, return your Reader to Sony - it is faulty.

1500 page turns will drain the battery about 20%; two weeks operation will drain it about 40%. ie after two weeks AND 1500 page turns you should have about 40% charge remaining, and the battery meter should be showing about 2 bars.
Advert
Old 06-09-2007, 12:14 PM   #6
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Havn't used mine for two weeks because I am reading...paper.....

Unhappy to report that after said time off the reader has gone from 4 to 1 bar. I guess I should try hooking the charger just to see if the meter is accurate.

BTW Harry! your avatar looks great, where's he from?

Hey! Avatar woud be a great name for a robot!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 12:18 PM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
It's a Dalek from the BBC's Doctor Who series.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 12:24 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Don't read that Dalek Wikipedia article, Nat - it's got some stuff in it that you really don't want to know yet!
Old 06-09-2007, 01:37 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsutton02 View Post
I agree totally with dyspepsic.

I too am only getting on average 1500 pages per charge.

Also if I don't use the reader for a couple of weeks the battery is drained.
You might also be forgetting that changing menus also counts as a page turn. Not just reading of the books. So every time you go from one menu to another, that is one page turn.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 06:57 PM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Don't read that Dalek Wikipedia article, Nat - it's got some stuff in it that you really don't want to know yet!
I didn't plan to, Harry, but I appreciate the warning.
Old 06-09-2007, 07:08 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I didn't plan to, Harry, but I appreciate the warning.
I've just starting watching the David Tennant 1st Dr. Who series. I have them all on the computer. And then I'll go from there into the current season. Have all of them too.
Old 06-09-2007, 07:15 PM   #12
NatCh
Gizmologist

There's a season before that, with Christopher Eccleston (sp?). There are a few bits that will make better sense if you watch those episodes first.
Old 06-09-2007, 07:28 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
There's a season before that, with Christopher Eccleston (sp?). There are a few bits that will make better sense if you watch those episodes first.
I've seen all of those already between the downloads and sci-fi channel. So I am good to go.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:51 PM   #14
NatCh
Gizmologist

Very good, my mind can rest easy for your sake, then.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:10 PM   #15
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Although out of character, going back to the charging issue for a moment: I read about 4,000 pages over a 10 day period (airplanes and hotel rooms interrupted by periods of work at the client's site.) When I got back I still had 2 bars left showing on the battery meter.

BTW: One of the books read that week was a Haggard Anthology posted by Harry.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote