Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-13-2010, 06:33 PM   #1
talz13
talz13 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
kindlemanga - Yet Another Kindle Manga converter...

Hey all, I've just made lots of changes to my manga converter:

http://code.google.com/p/kindlemanga

It'll process rar / zip / cbr / cbz files into folders to be put on the kindle (no extra ability to convert to DX resolution yet).

kindlemanga will attempt to populate the series/title, volume number, and chapter number from the archive filename and/or directory name. If it gets the series name wrong, you can just highlight all the volumes / chapters you want to retitle, and rename them in the Series Name field. Simple enough, and no need to organize your files!

The output folder names will look something like this (from the conversion in the screenshot below):
Lucky_Star-vol.001-ch.001

Please let me know how it is, it's the first app that might actually be useful for people

Download here!

Last edited by talz13; 04-25-2010 at 12:47 PM.
talz13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 12:13 PM   #2
talz13

4/25: Lots of updates to kindlemanga. Check out the latest version at my google code page!
Old 04-30-2010, 02:51 PM   #3
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
Cool! So no need to organize it up by book and chapter before using this?

Any chance this might be made available for mac?
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 05:20 PM   #4
talz13

It could be made available for mac, I am looking at getting it running on linux, and there (hopefully) wouldn't be many changes for os x. I'm just not sure how to distribute it on linux / os x. It's so easy to zip up the file made with py2exe for windows!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarel View Post
Cool! So no need to organize it up by book and chapter before using this?
As long as you either store your manga in folders by series (i.e. bleach\volume1.zip, etc.) or if your zip/rar files have the title in the filename (i.e. Highschool_of_the_Dead_[XLG]_c25_LQ.zip), it should be able to figure out the series / volume / chapter.

Last edited by talz13; 04-30-2010 at 05:45 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:09 AM   #5
Ayle
Enthusiast
Ayle began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 650
Can it output zip/rar?

The "populate" function sounds really useful, i was wondering if it can output zip/rar for reading in PC, (I use manga meeya, lovely reader, but manually renaming and ordering files is really slow), and I'm setting my sights on a sony reader, that can use calibri to convert zip/rar to lrf, the native format. So it would be an awesome feature to have!
Thanks a lot, i know its kind of a selfish request, but would make a really useful tool for me and maybe other people looking for something like this.
Ayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 06:56 AM   #6
Diegan
Diegan began at the beginning.

Device: Jinke V3
Does this work well for comics and Kindle DX size?
Diegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 02:27 AM   #7
Shike
Official Cyber Punk ^_-
Shike began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (2nd Gen)
Just tried this recently, and it almost works perfectly for me.

The only issue I notice is that is that it splits landscape images, and while not necessarily a problem on its own it reverses their order.

Would you consider an option to just rotate rather than split, or fix page order?

Other than that I think it's substantially more useful than Mangle even.

Last edited by Shike; 08-01-2010 at 02:36 AM.
Shike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:15 AM   #8
talz13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shike View Post
Just tried this recently, and it almost works perfectly for me.

The only issue I notice is that is that it splits landscape images, and while not necessarily a problem on its own it reverses their order.

Would you consider an option to just rotate rather than split, or fix page order?
I might be able to make it rotate 90 degrees. Right now it does split landscape pages on purpose, since I felt that double wide was too hard to see on my kindle 2

When you say the split page order is reversed, is the right side of the page first? If so, I did it that way for left-to-right reading direction for manga. I might add an option for LTR or RTL in the future.

Quote:
Other than that I think it's substantially more useful than Mangle even.
Thanks for that! It made my day
Old 08-02-2010, 07:19 AM   #9
talz13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diegan View Post
Does this work well for comics and Kindle DX size?
It should work okay for comics, but landscape images will be reverse ordered when they are split right now. This may be addressed in the future.

As for the DX, I will need to add a resolution switch. If you can, could you take a screenshot on your DX? From here I found:
Quote:
From any screen on a Kindle 2 or DX, just hit Alt + Shift + G and the screen will flash. From there, plug the Kindle into your computer via its USB cable and navigate to the Kindle's "documents" folder. Inside the folder are all the various books you might have stored on the device, but search for a filename that begins with "screen-shot." It should show up as a black and white GIF file like some of the ones we're using in this article.
If you can take a screenshot of any screen that has the top status bar visible, I will work on adding support for the DX.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:39 AM   #10
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
The DX resolution is 824x1200 .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:52 AM   #11
talz13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
The DX resolution is 824x1200 .
Correct, but I'd just like to know how big the status bar is since I subtract that from the resolution when converting for kindle 2.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:01 AM   #12
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Oh, okay . AFAIK, it's the same size as on a K2, but I may be wrong.

EDIT: Yes, it is. Top panel 40px, bottom 34px.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-02-2010 at 08:06 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:34 AM   #13
talz13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Oh, okay . AFAIK, it's the same size as on a K2, but I may be wrong.

EDIT: Yes, it is. Top panel 40px, bottom 34px.
Thanks, then all I need to do is add a toggle or something for kindle / DX
Old 08-10-2010, 11:57 AM   #14
Ayle
Enthusiast
Ayle began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 650
How much manga can you fit into 3GB (kindle 3?) Price is tempting, but no expandable storage may be a deal breaker.
Ayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 03:46 PM   #15
talz13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayle View Post
How much manga can you fit into 3GB (kindle 3?) Price is tempting, but no expandable storage may be a deal breaker.
You won't be able to fit TONS of it on there, but judging from the size of the few volumes I have on my kindle 2, 20-35 volumes sounds reasonable for 1.4GB on the kindle 2. That could be about 40-70 volumes on a 3GB kindle 3.