Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 03-26-2010, 12:28 AM   #1
oncdoc
Addict
oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle, pocket pro
coolreader on pocketpro .. how to start?

its soo confusing, with the new firmware is the program in there? do i have to start it somewhere?

or do i simply rename files to end with fb2? can i do this pdf too?

soo weird.. what is this coolreader stuff?
oncdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:34 AM   #2
animedude01
Addict
animedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheese

Device: DR1000S, ILIAD2, Nokia n900, Kindle for PC, Astak EZReader Pro
You don't start it manually. It's set to open particular formats. I'm not sure of which one's exactly on the EZReader but fb2 at minimum.

I believe that by default, pdf and epub are opened by the adobe software, but you can open epub formatted books with coolreader by adding the .fb2 extension after the epub extension. At least that's what I've read on the forum, but haven't tried it myself.

Coolreader is an e-book viewer. More details here Coolreader.
animedude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:12 AM   #3
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
TXT and RTF open with Coolreader now.
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 04:30 AM   #4
Xochipilli2012
Zealot
Xochipilli2012 began at the beginning.

Device: Red PRS-600, Slate Blue Astak EZReader Pocket Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by oncdoc View Post
its soo confusing, with the new firmware is the program in there? do i have to start it somewhere?

It depends on which firmware you are using. As far as I know, the previous version of CoolReader only opened FB2 files (December firmware).

CoolReader also exists as Desktop software. Both versions 2 and 3 are currently available.

With the aborted/abandoned, but by some of us, embraced, March firmware, CoolReader natively opens FB2, TXT, RTF, and HTML files. (In other words, you don't have to "fool" it by changing the extension for these files. I haven't tried appending .epub at the end of a TXT or HTML file to see if this would "trick" ADE to open them.

ADE (Adobe Digital Editions) still opens PDFs and EPUBs. However, you can employ a "hack" by renaming EPUBs with an .fb2 extension, and force CoolReader to open them. It can do this because the latest version has been upgraded to decode them--unlike the previous version. As the PocketPro doesn't provide a setting to choose between ADE and CoolReader to open EPUBs, this hack is necessary.

CoolReader cannot decode PDF, CHM, LIT, MOBI, PDB, PRC, or DOC files, period. (Although it did open what I thought was a DOC, but which turned out to be an RTF with a .DOC extension.) It doesn't matter whether you stick an ".fb2" at the end of these file types.

I'm not sure if there is a third rendering "engine" on the Pocket Pro that opens the formats that CoolReader and ADE cannot decode. My understanding is that ADE only opens PDFs and EPUBs. If true, then "something else" must be opening LIT, CHM, MOBI, PRC, PDB, WOL, DJVU, etc. I suspect others here much more knowledgeable than I about the Hanlin family of readers will have the answer to this question.
Xochipilli2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:28 AM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by oncdoc View Post

Changing the extension does not change the file. You cannot read an eBook with software that does not understand it. The way the trick works does not change the reading software, it fools the launching software.

If you use windows you perhaps know that you can double click on a file and it will open automatically. This is because windows looks at the extension and then looks at a list of software and finds the one that is registered to open files with that particular extension. Your Pocket Pro works the same way. The pocket pro program that displays the files for you also works to launch a program to read the files. There are several programs on your Pocket Pro that are available although you never launch them directly.

Changing an extension to get a certain program will not work if the program doesn't understand the file contents. This will error out on windows and it will error out on your pocket pro. Do not change the extension to try and force a particular program to read a file it doesn't understand.

You Pocket Pro contains the the following programs:
(current assignment refers to the March release, the December release is different for Cool Reader)

Mobipocket Reader - currently assigned to read mobi and prc extensions.
Adoble Digital Editions - currently assigned to read ePUB and PDF extensions
Cool Reader - currently assigned to read html, htm, fb2, txt, and RTF extensions.
XPDF - not assigned anything by default but this can be changed to read PDF files.
Hanlin Reader - currently assigned to read all other extensions.

you can read about these various reading programs in our wiki.

Dale

Last edited by DaleDe; 03-26-2010 at 10:54 AM.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:55 AM   #6
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
You Pocket Pro contains the the following programs:

Mobipocket Reader - currently assigned to read mobi and prc extensions.
Adoble Digital Editions - currently assigned to read ePUB and PDF extensions
Cool Reader - currently assigned to read html, htm, fb2, txt, and RTF extensions.
XPDF - not assigned anything by default but this can be changed to read PDF files.
Hanlin Reader - currently assigned to read all other extensions.

you can read about these various reading programs in our wiki.

Dale
Dale, I added the above quote to the Sticky on the Version Listing. (I hope that is OK) Thanks or explaining each one.
I'd like to edit my sticky to show which of the Jinke's Progams read which format, but I'm confused on some of them

i.e., obviously the "Image Parser" does the pictures, the "Wol" version does the Wol files, which we don't really use here. The PDF does the pdf and epubs.

So could you help:

Linux kernel: ??
PDF parser: pdf, epub
Doc parser: doc's (why is this separate from the TXT/RTF?)
HTML parser: CoolReader for html's ??????
Wol parser: wol's
Image parser: jpeg, etc.
TXT parser: CoolReader for Txt and rtf????
FB2 parser: CoolReader for Fb2 ?????
Viewer version: ???????
Bookself version: ???????

Which is the MP3 reader???

Thanks

AJ
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:08 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
Dale, I added the above quote to the Sticky on the Version Listing. (I hope that is OK) Thanks or explaining each one.
I'd like to edit my sticky to show which of the Jinke's Progams read which format, but I'm confused on some of them

i.e., obviously the "Image Parser" does the pictures, the "Wol" version does the Wol files, which we don't really use here. The PDF does the pdf and epubs.

So could you help:

Linux kernel: ??
PDF parser: pdf, epub
Doc parser: doc's (why is this separate from the TXT/RTF?)
HTML parser: CoolReader for html's ??????
Wol parser: wol's
Image parser: jpeg, etc.
TXT parser: CoolReader for Txt and rtf????
FB2 parser: CoolReader for Fb2 ?????
Viewer version: ???????
Bookself version: ???????

Which is the MP3 reader???

Thanks

AJ
No problem with adding it. Jinke has changed parsers for the various formats in the past but the internal version seems to hold onto the format rather than the tool used to parse the format.

DOC is very different than RTF and TXT. It is a binary format used for word files. The Cool Reader 2.0 version could actually parse doc files but the Cool Reader 3.0 version cannot. I am not sure what DOC parser they use but it conforms to their internal Hanlin format specifications.

The bookshelf software is the stuff you see when not reading a book. It is the software that controls recent files, provides the menus, the UI, and it is the one that picks the software to use to read the files.

The viewer is the Hanlin eBook Reader I believe but I am not totally sure. You kind of have to track the versions and see which dates change to reflect the feature that changed to see where that feature is.

In the March release the following parsers were changed: PDF parser to fix the toc handling for ePUB although they actually broke it to be repaired in the next version., The HTML, TXT, FB2 parsers were changed as we know to all use Cool Reader 3.0. The bookshelf was changed as it almost always is because it had to change which tool is launched.

TTS, MP3, XPDF, Mobi parsers are not shown but should be. I am not sure where the zip/rar parsing is done but it is likely in the bookshelf. This list of parsers hasn't changed since 2008 or perhaps before but the software used to do the parsing has changed.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote