Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-16-2009, 02:02 AM   #1
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
Is DRM in ebooks a big issue?

Having no DRM in your ebooks is the best situation that can occur but I am trying to decide whether it is a major issue if ebooks are DRMed.
For music the answer is easy because you listen to purchased music many times over many years on a number of different devices(CD , mp3 player etc) it makes sense to have no DRM.
But for Ebooks, I read it once then delete it from my reader and will probably never read it again. It is the same with paperbacks I used to buy. Throw them in the cupboard after I finished reading them.
Should I really care that I may not be able to redownload it in a few years time?
I reckon I may even consider lower prices for ebooks that perhaps expired 1 year after purchase.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:15 AM   #2
garygibsonsf
Addict
garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
Most people prefer to keep their books, particularly if the books are a source of constant reference. I like to keep mine, and I suspect my preference is in the majority. In your own case, DRM would presumably be unlikely to cause you any real grief if you're never likely to re-read the books or even keep them.

However, keep in mind that DRM would cause you some grief when it came to your choice of device to read on. Many, many people use MobiDeDrm precisely because it affords the opportunity to 'free' a legal purchase from constraints, so they can then read it in the way they choose.
garygibsonsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:16 AM   #3
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
I want as many options as possible, even if I'll never need them.
If the ebook version of a book I have to have had insurmountable DRM, I'd buy the pbook version instead.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 04:54 AM   #4
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech_au View Post
Having no DRM in your ebooks is the best situation that can occur but I am trying to decide whether it is a major issue if ebooks are DRMed.
For music the answer is easy because you listen to purchased music many times over many years on a number of different devices(CD , mp3 player etc) it makes sense to have no DRM.
But for Ebooks, I read it once then delete it from my reader and will probably never read it again. It is the same with paperbacks I used to buy. Throw them in the cupboard after I finished reading them.
Should I really care that I may not be able to redownload it in a few years time?
I reckon I may even consider lower prices for ebooks that perhaps expired 1 year after purchase.
From where I live I cannot buy some american and english e-books, while I can buy paperbacks and have them sent by mail/courier.

I'm very happy about DRM: it gives me the opportunity to a better contribution to the destruction of Earth. If I downloaded that book, I'd have caused less pollution, I'd let less dangerous chemicals in the environment, and - God forgive me - I'd kept a tree alive....
Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 06:33 AM   #5
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
I may need to be able to read the book on several devices, which may not support the particular DRM.

I re-read. If the bookseller stops support for the DRM, I might not be able to re-download the book later if I buy a new device.

The application on my device that displays the DRM'd file, may not support my needs/wants for a particular font or display setting.

Applications and file format support for DRM'd files are, to say the least, very varied on different devices.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 06:34 AM   #6
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Even if you do not reread books there is a problem. Books are not available forever so if you in the future want to read a book you have to buy it now. And for me at least it is not uncommon at all that it takes years (sometime 10 year or more) to get to a book.

That is a contributing reason why I do not buy DRM:ed books.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:15 AM   #7
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Yes DRM is a big issue, because not all devices support all formats. The only DRM format the iPhone supports is eReader, but no current Eink device supports that format. DRM is how they enforce kindle-exclusive books. (While I don't mind Amazon being the sole seller of a specific title - at least for a limited period - I get extremely furious about the limitations to what I can read the books on.)

DRM is like saying you can only watch movies on a TV you bought at Target, not one you bought at Wal-Mart; or if you want to read our book you have to use our glasses.

I think it's disgusting.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:50 AM   #8
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
I agree that most books are a read once, but never again kind of thing. That being said, there are old favorites that I return too every few years. They becomes like old friends; some are just a fun read, others remind me of youth and still others inspire me. Now most of those I have in paper format... but you never know when you will find a new one. 10 years after purchasing a book, I want to know I will still be able to read it.

And in any case, there is the basic principle of it essentially interfering with my rights Darn it. I understand the issues of not giving away an ebook... But beyond that, it is mine darn it... I should be able to read it where and how I want. On Jetbook, on my computer or iPod Touch and on whatever other book reader I have 10 years from now.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:59 AM   #9
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
For me, it is a major issue: I will never buy a DRMed content as long as there is a no-DRM version available. It doesn't matter if I pay more (e.g. hunt for a rare CD on eBay) or have to do more work (e.g. scan a paper book) - as long as there is an alternative, DRMed version is a no-go for me.
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:04 AM   #10
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I suppose if you are a read-once sort of person then DRM will cause you little if any harm. I can't claim to read many books multiple times but I still figure I bought the e-book, not the right to read it once or just on a particular device. I might have a different opinion if I paid a small fraction of the usual e-book price or had a subscription service like Rhapsody is for music (still think that's the future). But I don't. I pay the whole nine yards, so to speak.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:43 AM   #11
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
I might have a different opinion if I paid a small fraction of the usual e-book price or had a subscription service like Rhapsody is for music (still think that's the future). But I don't. I pay the whole nine yards, so to speak.
I agree, paying 1€ for the right to read a book once on a single device might be OK, but paying 6-10€ should give you the right to keep it and read it as many times as you like.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:58 AM   #12
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I despise DRM and formats also. I bought a book from a seller who charged me a foreign transaction fee because I'm US and they are AUS. I chose PDF for the download, since I am pretty talented at manipulating that format. Not that time!

Prob 1: I downloaded it to my work PC. Turned out it could only be on one single device.

Prob 2: It had an expiration date. As it was on my work computer, I could only read it during slow times. The 3 month time limit passed before I finished it.

So I paid full price + fee for a book that I could not carry with me, and which disappeared leaving only an icon to show it ever existed.

I will be so freakin' glad when a single non-DRM format rises to the top of the mobile reading device pile.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:36 PM   #13
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I want to keep all my ebooks. That means no DRM or stripping the DRM.

If I didn't want to keep the ebooks, I'd look into library membership.

Quote:
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:58 PM   #14
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
I agree that most books are a read once, but never again kind of thing.
With Kimmy and I, this is almost never true.

We buy books by authors we like, and reread the old ones again when sequels come out.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:10 AM   #15
Enraptured
Connoisseur
Enraptured has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Enraptured has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Enraptured has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook Touch
I don't reread all my books (and I don't keep all my paper books, or I'd be overrun!), but I don't know whether I'll want to reread a book until after I'm done reading it the first time. Not all ebooks are books I'd want to keep forever, but I want to have the choice.
Enraptured is offline   Reply With Quote