Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-14-2011, 04:18 AM   #1
adrian1944
Connoisseur
adrian1944 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.adrian1944 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.adrian1944 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.adrian1944 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Imac, iPhone SE, iPad Air 2, Ipad Mini, Ipad Pro, Sony 650.
Help with regex to remove specific strings of numbers

I have tried to follow the tuition and help posts here but I wonder if someone can help with a search and replace string for my problem

I am looking to remove five figure numbers that occur throughout the books

In the specific book i am looking at they run from 03000 to 32983

I could see how to remove all numbers from the tutorial but i need something in regex that says

find all

(numbers between 03000 and 32983)

it is the specific range I am having a problem with

adrian
adrian1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:21 AM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
You absolutely cannot expand this to all five-digit numbers? It has to be that specific range?
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:38 AM   #3
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
I came up with

\b(0[3-9]\d\d\d|[1-2]\d\d\d\d|3[0-1]\d\d\d|32\d[0-7]\d|3298[0-3])\b
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:06 AM   #4
adrian1944
Connoisseur
adrian1944 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.adrian1944 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.adrian1944 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.adrian1944 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Manichean

i had not thought of that. It would probably be ok to remove all 5 integer number strings in the book or indeed different 5 figure strings in other books i still have to look at

perkin

thank you i will try it

adrian
Old 02-14-2011, 08:16 AM   #5
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

to remove ALL five digit numbers
search
\b\d{5}\b
replace with nothing (you may end up with some double-spacing)
Old 02-14-2011, 09:07 AM   #6
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Just \d{5} ought to do the trick, as well.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:28 AM   #7
adrian1944
Connoisseur

Thank you both

the regex from Perkin does the job and even I can see how to extend it to 4 and 6 figure integers. I had worried that this 'all numbers' approach would remove real detail in the book and not just the silly footnote system in use. Fortunately real numbers have a comma separating each three characters therefore are not caught by the formula

adrian
Old 02-14-2011, 10:46 AM   #8
Perkin
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Just \d{5} ought to do the trick, as well.
Yep.

There was a reason for the \b's, but I can't think what it was now.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:51 AM   #9
Archon
Zealot
Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Mac OSX, iPad, iPod, & Nook
Quote:
Yep.

There was a reason for the \b's, but I can't think what it was now.
So, are you facetiously saying that the \b's were to catch numbers that did NOT contain commas since that would split a word boundary?

Archon
Archon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:11 PM   #10
Perkin
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon View Post
So, are you facetiously saying that the \b's were to catch numbers that did NOT contain commas since that would split a word boundary
No, I just can't remember the reason, if there indeed, was one.
(It may have just been a rollover from the ranged expression)