Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-29-2017, 05:09 AM   #16
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Always connected, always on, always listening, distributed processing.
Coupled with autonomous machines in Amazon warehouses.

Did any of you even watch terminator
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 05:21 AM   #17
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post

My Echo always wears the red ring of silence
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2017, 09:43 AM   #18
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:

In an unrelated press briefing, Amazon announces that Alexa will be changing her name to Skynet. Harlan Ellison still attempts to sue.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 10:18 AM   #19
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
My Echo always wears the red ring of silence
Doesn't that make it, what we in the tech industry call, a brick
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 10:35 AM   #20
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Doesn't that make it, what we in the tech industry call, a brick
I use my Dash Wand to request books and music

Spoiler:
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2017, 02:55 PM   #21
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I use my Dash Wand to request books and music

Spoiler:
Yes, my wife mentioned that to me and "Voila!" we have one. Haven't used it yet as far as I know, but I can see the future already:

"A dash here, and a dash there and an echo (of course) everywhere!"
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 11:51 AM   #22
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I don't quite understand what the new part is of the Echo. Looks to be just a decoration choice vs. added utility. I DO like the idea of the one new gadget - where you can tell the echo to dial someone using a land line. I've suggested it to my sister for my BIL (who is legally blind). $35 is pretty reasonable for something that I'm sure would make things easier for my BIL when my sister isn't available.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 12:14 PM   #23
kansaskyle
Addict
kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & Forma, Kindle Voyage, PW, and Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
I don't quite understand what the new part is of the Echo. Looks to be just a decoration choice vs. added utility.
Amazon improved the internal speakers and introduced better voice technology so Alexa can have better wake-word accuracy and better hear what you are asking.

Below is an article that points out these two improvement in more detail.

https://www.androidcentral.com/amazo...dio-new-design
kansaskyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 01:03 PM   #24
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
If you have a toddler to entertain, these are the best things since sliced bread. You would not believe how many versions of "THE WHEELS ON THE BUS GO ROUND AND ROUND" exist and Alexa has all of them. And jokes. As she patiently sings happy birthday, on demand, endlessly
And 50+ CDs of rockabye baby does Metallica, guns and roses, ... as soothing lullabies. Jay Z Is much improved
https://www.rockabyebabymusic.com

Last edited by stumped; 10-02-2017 at 01:08 PM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 01:52 AM   #25
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I really want the Echo Connect. I live alone, except for my cat, and falls are a worry. It would be great to be able to call for help if I couldn't get up. Actually months ago I sent a request for that function on Echo and Amazon emailed back that they were working on it.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 02:04 AM   #26
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
i wonder if the existing echo has a skill that could help with that e.g. send a preset message
a quick google offers up various you tube videos on how to send an email with alexa....
see here & scroll to sending an SMS with your voice...
seems you start with a skill called if this then that.... IFTT
its a bit of a hack, but apparently works. you add something like " help, Ive fallen" to your alexa to-do or shopping list then use the alexa skill to send that to who you have set up, on your voice command. & that can be the only thing on the list

https://ifttt.com/applets/270312p-se...cho-to-do-hack

Last edited by stumped; 10-04-2017 at 02:09 AM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 10:13 PM   #27
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
I really want the Echo Connect. I live alone, except for my cat, and falls are a worry. It would be great to be able to call for help if I couldn't get up. Actually months ago I sent a request for that function on Echo and Amazon emailed back that they were working on it.
A number of people in the retirement home where I live have a device they wear around their neck with a button on it they can press if they need help. If they press it an ambulance comes. A couple of people have used it that I'm aware of, and probably others have as well. It's free, provided by Medicare, or maybe Social Security, I don't know which.

I have a free cell phone that's from the same source although I don't really remember the source.

I think the name of the emergency system is Lifeline or something like that. Google should find it for you.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:39 PM   #28
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
A number of people in the retirement home where I live have a device they wear around their neck with a button on it they can press if they need help. If they press it an ambulance comes... I think the name of the emergency system is Lifeline or something like that. Google should find it for you.

Barry
Sounds like LifeAlert, they of the 'I've fallen, and I can't get up!' commercials.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote