Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-27-2017, 05:19 AM   #46
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Yeah, don't do it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 05:25 AM   #47
nhedgehog
Guru
nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EnergySistemEreaderPro, Nook STG, Pocketbook 622, Bookeen Cybooks ...
You could use Kiwix and install it like I described there (in German):
https://www.e-reader-forum.de/ebook-...075#post376075

This allows you to open multiple Wikipedia dumps at once.

Limitations:
Only working with FW 4.3.9084 or 3.19.5761.
You are losing automatic Wifi connection in the browser.
Search only possible in browser.

Last edited by nhedgehog; 11-02-2017 at 11:02 AM.
nhedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2017, 08:39 AM   #48
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhedgehog View Post
https://www.e-reader-forum.de/ebook-...517#post376517

Limitations:
I tried and get an error in log file:

Code:
error 2 opening file "/mnt/onboard/content/wikipedia_en_ray_charles_2015-06.zim
The XML library file '/mnt/onboard/wikipedia/library.xml' is empty (or has only remote books).
What I did patching the FW 4.6.9995 with the patch `Allow launching browser without wifi connected`.

Install Kiwix-Serverinstallation.

Tried the file "ray charles" from here in English.

\wikipedia folder is:
\wikipedia\wikipedia_en_ray_charles_2015-06.zim
\wikipedia\library.xml
\wikipedia\index

restart, try the address 127.0.0.1, and get nothing.

What did I wrong?

Last edited by oren64; 10-27-2017 at 08:44 AM.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 09:23 AM   #49
the_Pan
Connoisseur
the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Kobo Forma, Pocketbook Era
Question

Quote:

Limitations:
well this looks promising, but I like the latest firmware - with a few patches of course.
Should'nt it be possible to link the "wiki search box" within an book to the Kiwix offline wiki?
the_Pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 01:55 PM   #50
RobertoOG
Enthusiast
RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo aura h2o
Using the beta browser to read wikipedia in the eReader is utterly uncomfortable, it really should be accessible from within the book, this way you could find whichever entry seems convenient when you are reading a book, without needing to connect through wi-fi nor going through a lot of clicks and then needing to type the word you're searching for.

It was possible with an older firmware, why did they removed that useful feature?
RobertoOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2017, 07:22 PM   #51
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertoOG View Post
Using the beta browser to read wikipedia in the eReader is utterly uncomfortable, it really should be accessible from within the book, this way you could find whichever entry seems convenient when you are reading a book, without needing to connect through wi-fi nor going through a lot of clicks and then needing to type the word you're searching for.

It was possible with an older firmware, why did they removed that useful feature?
To the best of my knowledge, this was never a supported feature. And it wasn't perfect. I don't know if it was an experiment they tried and have not completed, or if it was a function that came as part of some other library they used and they didn't disable it. The most likely reason that it stopped working is that they changed something somewhere else that broke this and have not fixed it due to the unsupported nature of the feature.

As to not using WiFi to get to Wikipedia from with a book, that's absurd. To do that, you would need all of Wikipedia on the device. And I can already search Wikipedia by selecting a word in a book. No typing necessary. Or are you talking about searching from within offline Wikipedia file?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 08:26 PM   #52
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Technically, they didn't remove the feature, they just removed the menu entry that let you search it.

As to getting all of wikipedia on the device -- it's only 15G without pics, fills up half an SD card.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 09:32 PM   #53
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by compurandom View Post
Technically, they didn't remove the feature, they just removed the menu entry that let you search it.
But you don't know if they removed it, or it disappeared because something was broken.
Quote:
As to getting all of wikipedia on the device -- it's only 15G without pics, fills up half an SD card.
Which is a problem when their current devices have a maximum of 8GBs of storage. And it needs to be updated and people will want the pictures.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 01:43 AM   #54
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
But you don't know if they removed it, or it disappeared because something was broken.
They didn't remove the parser, because I can still open wikipedia zim files.
However, it is certainly broken, because it won't follow links or otherwise let me browse it. But it has been that way for a very long time, which is why search was important.

(~15G zim file)
Quote:
Which is a problem when their current devices have a maximum of 8GBs of storage. And it needs to be updated and people will want the pictures.
Older devices would take an sd card. Alas, wp with pictures is 56G and I think even the devices that took sd cards stop at 32G. And without a decent filesystem (exfat? ext4?) You gotta split the file, which breaks the zim reader following links too, but didn't break search.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 05:30 AM   #55
ams
Enthusiast
ams is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ams is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ams is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ams is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ams is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ams is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ams is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ams is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ams is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ams is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ams is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo: Mini, Libra 2
Quote:

Limitations:
Installed it on Kobo Glo HD, FW3.19.5761.
However, when entering host or 127.0.0.1 or localhost in the browser nothing happens. There also is no logfile in /wikipedia. I'm using kobo start menu, do I need to add something to KSM to start /.wikipedia/wikipedia.sh?

Last edited by ams; 10-31-2017 at 05:31 AM. Reason: typo
ams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 06:10 AM   #56
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ams View Post
Installed it on Kobo Glo HD, FW3.19.5761.
However, when entering host or 127.0.0.1 or localhost in the browser nothing happens. There also is no logfile in /wikipedia. I'm using kobo start menu, do I need to add something to KSM to start /.wikipedia/wikipedia.sh?
Since you are using KSM, I guess you did not install the rcS file included in Kobo_Wikipedia_installieren.zip, because if you did, KSM would not work any longer. The provided rcS contains this code that you would have to execute at some other point:
Code:
  file="/mnt/onboard/.wikipedia/wikipedia.sh"
  if [ -f "$file" ]; then
    ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1 up
	  $file
  fi
You could creata a file .adds/kbmenu_user/scripts/start_wikipedia.sh with this code, and then call it once per KSM session, by selecting user_scripts > start wikipedia.sh.

Last edited by tshering; 10-31-2017 at 06:25 AM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 07:45 AM   #57
the_Pan
Connoisseur
the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Kobo Forma, Pocketbook Era
Quote:
As to not using WiFi to get to Wikipedia from with a book, that's absurd. To do that, you would need all of Wikipedia on the device.
I've found a version within the kiwix project, one language, without pictures,~5GB (for german).
I don't need pictures and other languages to get explanations for words i simply never have heard of (historical novels have tons of those).
Quote:
And I can already search Wikipedia by selecting a word in a book. No typing necessary
That's the function i meant. wouldn't it be cool if you could use it with the offline-Wiki, without the need of Wifi?

Last edited by the_Pan; 10-31-2017 at 07:59 AM. Reason: kiwix url added
the_Pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 02:48 PM   #58
nhedgehog
Guru
nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oren64 View Post
I tried and get an error in log file:

Code:
error 2 opening file "/mnt/onboard/content/wikipedia_en_ray_charles_2015-06.zim
The XML library file '/mnt/onboard/wikipedia/library.xml' is empty (or has only remote books).
What I did patching the FW 4.6.9995 with the patch `Allow launching browser without wifi connected`.

Install Kiwix-Serverinstallation.

Tried the file "ray charles" from here in English.

\wikipedia folder is:
\wikipedia\wikipedia_en_ray_charles_2015-06.zim
\wikipedia\library.xml
\wikipedia\index

restart, try the address 127.0.0.1, and get nothing.

What did I wrong?
Sorry for answering late, I was on a trip.
You did everything right but I guess in the path variable in library.xml there is an error.

In your library.xml there should be one entry:
path="wikipedia_en_ray_charles_2015-06.zim" indexPath="./index/wikipedia_en_ray_charles_2015-06.zim.idx"
yours is probably:
path="../content/wikipedia_en_ray_charles_2015-06.zim" indexPath="../index/wikipedia_en_ray_charles_2015-06.zim.idx"which points to a directory two levels up.

Edit:
Thanks for the browser patch, I couldn't find the function in libnickel myself.

Edit2: Guess I should change the folder structure according to the one in the kiwix zip files.

Last edited by nhedgehog; 11-01-2017 at 06:31 AM.
Old 11-01-2017, 04:47 AM   #59
nhedgehog
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
Since you are using KSM, I guess you did not install the rcS file included in Kobo_Wikipedia_installieren.zip, because if you did, KSM would not work any longer. The provided rcS contains this code that you would have to execute at some other point:
Code:
  file="/mnt/onboard/.wikipedia/wikipedia.sh"
  if [ -f "$file" ]; then
    ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1 up
	  $file
  fi
You could creata a file .adds/kbmenu_user/scripts/start_wikipedia.sh with this code, and then call it once per KSM session, by selecting user_scripts > start wikipedia.sh.
@tshering:
Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't aware that KSM is manipulating the rcS too. ifconfig needs root to run. Do KSM-user scripts have root permissions on the Kobos?
I will update the tutorial later to avoid accidental KSM stops.

Last edited by nhedgehog; 11-01-2017 at 04:59 AM.
Old 11-01-2017, 05:37 AM   #60
ams
Enthusiast
ams is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ams is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ams is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ams is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ams is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ams is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ams is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ams is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ams is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ams is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ams is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo: Mini, Libra 2
@tshering: thanks, using your suggestion in #56 I got it running. Is there an easy way to automatically run the 'start wikipedia.sh' each time KSM boots?

@nhedgehog: in Library.xml, I needed to replace indexPath="/index/..." with indexPath="./index/..." to make full text search work (using the directory structure from your example)
ams is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
guide, kiwix, wikipedia, wikipedia offline, zim