Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 08-08-2009, 11:35 AM   #91
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Okay, in an above message I mentioned that I emailed the author. I'm gobsmacked by her response I deleted my email details etc from the following and have put them in the correct order (mine first):

To: Niffenegger, Audrey
Subject: ebooks: selling your books in e-formats?

Hi,

I'm a member of the MobileRead forum which is for those of us who prefer to read books in e-format. As yet, there is no legal way to purchase "The Time Traveler's Wife" in ebook format. Perhaps you could suggest to your agent/publisher that it be made available in various e formats for those of us who love our kindles, Sony ereaders, mobi's etc.

Just a suggestion,

Catherine

Dear Catherine,

I'm sorry, but I've devoted my life to physical books (I helped found the Columbia College Center for Book and Paper Arts) and e-books = dematerialised books. E-books imperil book design, typography, and other art forms that I care about. E-books are also not helpful to bookstores, and I love bookstores. So even though I understand that many people prefer e-books, I am not planning to issue my books in that form if I can avoid it. If that means I sell fewer books, so be it.

Thank you for your interest in my work, and for taking the time to write to me.

Regards,
Audrey Niffenegger
Having read the book, this surprises me not at all. It's fairly obvious she's a physical-object-book fetishist. Too bad that, instead of raging against the darkness, she doesn't see the future coming and dig in and try to make ebooks look and work better so they don't offend her art.
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 12:01 PM   #92
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Please, all. Couldn't we keep the tone nicer? I don't understand the animosity expressed towards Audrey Niffenegger. I don't share her views, but she did state them politely and without attacking anyone personally - she didn't even post them here personally. Couldn't we be more courteous?
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 01:01 PM   #93
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Please, everyone: A gentle reminder:

As an ebook lover (I have four different reading devices) and as a book collector, I feel I have an empathetic understanding from both sides.

While I absolutely respect her views when it comes to protecting "paper books" (not wanting paper editions to go away; I dont' think they will) and share with her a love of bookstores, I nevertheless disagree with much of her views.

I think, as we all move this thread forward with our writing - investigating, enquiring, challenging, and (yes) trying to understand Ms. Niffenegger's views - we can nevertheless treat her courteous response with the same degree of courtesy. This is the gentle reminder aspect, please. This is one of the few posts truly written from my heart - as a Moderator and as a lover of reading (in whatever form). There is no other activity for me as rewarding as reading.

There is so much to explore here. If we take a reasoned and thoughtful approach to her disagreements, then we make of ourselves a better community - even for those who disagree with us.

Thank you,
Don (Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 01:07 PM   #94
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Well, he's 88 years old so we'll make allowances. have you read his short story "The Murderer"? His description of people tethered to technology is uncanny.

As for Miss Niffeneger, I don't get the animosity toward her. Her opinion is disappointing, but it was politely stated.
Nope, we won't make allowances for being 88. He should know better by now.

As to Miss Niffenger, yes, she was polite. But telling us to get stuffed and that we do not matter in a polite way does not help.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 01:15 PM   #95
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
"If that means I sell fewer books, so be it."

Truly spoken by someone whose book has finally been made into a movie! (a la JKR?) - and doesn't have to fret over total book sales any more to make a living. Wonder what her response would have been if the movie was still on the distant horizon and she needed the money?
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 03:33 PM   #96
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Please, everyone: A gentle reminder:

As an ebook lover (I have four different reading devices) and as a book collector, I feel I have an empathetic understanding from both sides.

While I absolutely respect her views when it comes to protecting "paper books" (not wanting paper editions to go away; I dont' think they will) and share with her a love of bookstores, I nevertheless disagree with much of her views.

I think, as we all move this thread forward with our writing - investigating, enquiring, challenging, and (yes) trying to understand Ms. Niffenegger's views - we can nevertheless treat her courteous response with the same degree of courtesy. This is the gentle reminder aspect, please. This is one of the few posts truly written from my heart - as a Moderator and as a lover of reading (in whatever form). There is no other activity for me as rewarding as reading.

There is so much to explore here. If we take a reasoned and thoughtful approach to her disagreements, then we make of ourselves a better community - even for those who disagree with us.

Thank you,
Don (Moderator)
One has to wonder quite where she would have been without Caxton?

But fair comment!
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 03:56 PM   #97
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
No-one got the point? Please.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:27 PM   #98
sircastor
Reader
sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505
Wow, I'm absolutely surprised at the Author's response. Apparently she's more interested in the format than the writing, and I don't mean that casually. I liken it to how some poets use indentation and layout to alter the perception of their work.

Anyway, I read this book a couple of years ago checked out from the library. I hated it. The concept was intriguing, but the book was littered with worthless sexual tripes that really distracted from the story, and didn't contribute anything to it. It could have been a lot better, I'd recommend you skip it both as a book and out of protest for lack of format support.
sircastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 01:56 PM   #99
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Surface3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sircastor View Post
Wow, I'm absolutely surprised at the Author's response. Apparently she's more interested in the format than the writing, and I don't mean that casually. I liken it to how some poets use indentation and layout to alter the perception of their work.
Based on this blurb about Niffenegger, which appears in The Time Traveler's Wife, perhaps you can understand why she might be more interested in format and visual aesthetics than literary content:

Audrey Niffenegger is a visual artist and a professor in the Interdisciplinary Book Arts MFA Program at the Columbia College Chicago Center for Book and Paper Arts, where she teaches writing, letterpress printing, and fine edition book production. She shows her artwork at Printworks Gallery in Chicago. The Time Traveler’s Wife is her first novel.
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 02:08 PM   #100
PennyPie
Cocoa & Toast...mmmmmm...
PennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone
It seems that the book is a total experience for her..not just the words, but how they are presented. Like a great piece of muic played by the Muzak machine in the department store elevator...the tune is the same, but the experience is lost.

Penny

(I didn't read all 7 pages of this discussion, so if this has been stated, my apologies for re-interation!)
PennyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 02:17 PM   #101
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
I know someone who read the PDF version, and they thought it was just the acceptable side of ordinary - maybe they would have enjoyed it more if they'd read the pbook format.
Serves 'em right I say.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 02:43 PM   #102
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
It's so dissapointing when author's are against ebooks. I mean it's not like copies aren't already out on the net?? She's a hypocrite as far as I'm concerned. If she really believed in keeping the book true to form there would not be a movie or audiobooks. It's hard to respect her opinion.
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:02 PM   #103
jenieliser
Groupie
jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2019, Kobo Libra H2O
hmm... I posted a response earlier, but I think I've changed my mind... I mean, the fact that she said "if that means selling fewer books so be it" shows she just doesn't care. I'm almost done with the book and I totally see her attitude towards pbooks in Henry's character. My new conclusion (yes, I tend to be indecisive ): so what, it's a good book.
jenieliser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:05 PM   #104
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I try not to confuse an author's personal viewpoints with her work.

there are many great books i never would have read if I'd thought I had to like an author as a person in order to enjoy his work. Hemingway for starters. Tolstoy for another.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:42 PM   #105
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Yes, reading a pbook can be a pleasing experience, aesthetically. I especially love very old books. But if the story and the writing are good in themselves, the form of the book shouldn't matter much. One soon forgets and becomes lost in the world the author has created.

BTW, I found her reply very patronising. I don't think I invaded her privacy by posting the exchange, as I had told her about the forum, so she could fairly assume that her response would be reported here.

Last edited by BookCat; 08-10-2009 at 08:44 PM.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote