Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-01-2021, 02:53 PM   #481
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
But the Forma doesn't have the new Carta 1200 screen that the Sage and the Libra 2 have.

Personally I wouldn't buy a 3-year-old device unless it's significantly discounted. The 32-GB Forma hasn't been discounted yet (the OP said they want 32GB).
The 32GB Forma has been discounted in the UK, which is why I ordered one. It has advantages over the Sage in that it’s lighter, and I already have one, with multiple covers, so I don’t need to spend another £50 on a cover.

Now if Kobo could actually ship my order I’d be happy
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 06:12 PM   #482
martinot
Swedish Kobo User
martinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Kobo Forma, Kindle Paperwhite 11, iPad mini 6
Quote:
But the Forma doesn't have the new Carta 1200 screen that the Sage and the Libra 2 have.
From the reviews I have seen and read the difference in screen quaility between the Forma and Sage seems to be minimal or non existent.
martinot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 06:16 PM   #483
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinot View Post
From the reviews I have seen and read the difference in screen quaility between the Forma and Sage seems to be minimal or non existent.
Um... that's not what I read here on MR. Someone who had both said that the Sage had better contrast.

Edit: it's also confirmed in the TechCrunch review.

Last edited by Sirtel; 12-01-2021 at 07:08 PM.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 07:05 PM   #484
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Since I worry about the ON/OFF switch wearing out and becoming non-functional, I always let my ereraders turn themselves off, including my KA1 currently. Not sure if it is considered going to sleep or whatever; regardless, it does it to itself.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 07:35 PM   #485
LivresInOz
LivresInOz
LivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Kobo: Forma + Libra|Galaxy: TAB A7 + Note 8 tablet|Boox: Note Air 2
Re Forma Screen vs Libra 1 vs Sage and Libra 2

Quote:
Thanks Sirtel, for looking out for me ! And Josieb1 for mentioning the 32GB discounted Formas, which I didnt know you could get!

Now, on the screen...

1. I have the Libra 1 whose screen I'm happy with

2. So a couple of questions about the Forma:
a) is the screen higher or lower spec than Libra 1? Has anyone read on both?
b) is this 'uneven lighting' thing that I heard about actually a problem?
c) are there any other problems with the Forma I should know about?

d) I do prefer the slightly RECESSED screen of the Libra, because I assume its less likely to break if it hits the deck. Does the forma have that and the Sage doesn't?

3. I definitely AM interested in the Forma, because:
a) It's around the same weight as the Libra1, so that feels safer for me since I can't actually hold a device
b) I'm still concerned about the Sage battery life - also the buttons look fiddly and others have said so
c) I don't really NEED writing, since the Boox Note Air is an amazing writing/annotating device and I just realised: if you are going to note, you need two hands anyway, so a weightier device is okay

4. Re the Libra 1 screen, FYI:
a) I did notice that the Boox Air 2 is actually alot better screen
b) However I also found that Koreader can increase the contrast and make the Libra text even better than before on PDFs

Last edited by LivresInOz; 12-01-2021 at 07:46 PM.
LivresInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 07:45 PM   #486
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenji View Post
[B]
also the buttons look fiddly and others have said so
b) However I also found that Koreader can increase the contrast and make the Libra text even better than before on PDFs
I have not found any issue with the Sage buttons, but then again, 95%+ of the time I only use one, which one is an easy reach for my thumb.

Yes to KOReader too. I used it 80% of the time on my Libra H20, more like 97% of the time now on my Sage. Although I don't read PDFs on my Sage, I read them using KOReader on my 11-inch Android tablet
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 07:49 PM   #487
LivresInOz
LivresInOz
LivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Can someone explain the difference in screens to me?
Someone indicated above that the fact that the Sage has a '1200 carta' may make it better than the Forma...but I don't understand this just looking at specs.

Sage
E Ink Carta 1200
Touchscreen
300 PPI
1440 x 1920 resolution
8 inch

Forma
E Ink Carta
300 PPI
1440 x 1920 res

Libra 1 that I have and am fine with
E Ink Carta display
300 PPI
1,680 x 1,264 (I can see the resolution is smaller but understandable given its smaller?)
Small recess =using Neonode Z Force IR technology for the screen interactions."
7 inch
Old 12-01-2021, 07:58 PM   #488
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus, Scribe, Sage
Now that I've figured out how to get sleep mode my Aura One is quicker to recover than my Oasis 3. Page turns may be slightly slower but fairly similar. Unless they come up with a larger yet still reasonably priced alternative I'll pass.
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 08:05 PM   #489
LivresInOz
LivresInOz

Sage: audio-reading...

NOTE: this is a secondary question to my one above....

BTW, does the Sage only audio-read Kobo books - not sideloaded books?
Are there any there any third-party apps that do or COULD POTENTIALLY do audio-reading?
Old 12-01-2021, 08:13 PM   #490
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Someone indicated above that the fact that the Sage has a '1200 carta' may make it better than the Forma...but I don't understand this just looking at specs.

Sage
E Ink Carta 1200
Touchscreen
300 PPI
1440 x 1920 resolution
8 inch

Forma
E Ink Carta
300 PPI
1440 x 1920 res

E Ink Carta display
300 PPI
1,680 x 1,264 (I can see the resolution is smaller but understandable given its smaller?)
7 inch
The Libra 1 is capacitive, not IR.

The resolution on the Forma is the same as the Sage. But contrast is said to be better on the Sage (i.e. darker text).

The same goes for the Libra 1. Both the Sage and the Libra 2 have clearly darker font than the Libra 1 has.

The Forma and the Sage both have flush screens. The Libra 1 and 2 have recessed screens. But none of them have IR (infrared) screens, all are capacitive.

Last edited by Sirtel; 12-01-2021 at 08:16 PM.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 08:22 PM   #491
LivresInOz
LivresInOz

"Discounted Forma in UK"

I could only find one on the Kobo site and the drop-down for shipping only has the UK

Even though the price is 230 GBP - almost same price as Sage for Australia - I would have considered it.
Old 12-01-2021, 09:18 PM   #492
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Um... that's not what I read here on MR. Someone who had both said that the Sage had better contrast.

Edit: it's also confirmed in the TechCrunch review.
It may be confirmed but at the end of the day it’s all in the eye of the beholder. And I had an awful Sage so I’m a bit put off by that experience.
Old 12-01-2021, 09:19 PM   #493
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
"Discounted Forma in UK"

I could only find one on the Kobo site and the drop-down for shipping only has the UK

Even though the price is 230 GBP - almost same price as Sage for Australia - I would have considered it.
Yes I’m sorry, that’s the one I purchased.
Old 12-01-2021, 09:37 PM   #494
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:

Sage
E Ink Carta 1200
Touchscreen
300 PPI
1440 x 1920 resolution
8 inch

Forma
E Ink Carta
300 PPI
1440 x 1920 res

E Ink Carta display
300 PPI
7 inch
The Carta 1200 screens which as far as I know, are used by both the Sage and Libra 2 offer 20% faster response times and a 15% increase in the contrast ratio. On my Sage, the blacks definitely look blacker than on my Forma.

A quick Google or other search on Carta 1200 would likely have given you this information.

BTW, the Libra H2O is a capacitive touch device with a 7" screen. Given the Sage, Forma, Libra H2O and Libra 2 have 300 DPI screens, it only make sense the smaller screen has lower resolution.

Last edited by DNSB; 12-01-2021 at 09:39 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 10:19 PM   #495
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Sage: audio-reading...

NOTE: this is a secondary question to my one above....

BTW, does the Sage only audio-read Kobo books - not sideloaded books?
Are there any there any third-party apps that do or COULD POTENTIALLY do audio-reading?
I have no idea what "audio-reading" is. It might be Text-To-Speech (TTS), but no Kobo device does this. The new Kobo devices play Audiobooks. These are books that someone has read out and recorded.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote