Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-12-2018, 06:24 PM   #1
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
Which one should I get?

I have a Paperwhite 3 and like it. I noticed that the Paperwhite 4 came out and I’m wondering if it’s worth the upgrade. Should I just bite the bullet and get the Oasis? I’d keep the Paperwhite I have for traveling and work..
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 06:27 PM   #2
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by voracious71 View Post
I have a Paperwhite 3 and like it. I noticed that the Paperwhite 4 came out and I’m wondering if it’s worth the upgrade. Should I just bite the bullet and get the Oasis? I’d keep the Paperwhite I have for traveling and work..

Since you list a Kobo device, I'm going to suggest the H2O2 - 6.8 inches vs 7 for the Oasis, at only 2/3 the price. I love mine and think it's the sweet spot for price, size and performance. Or, if bigger is better for you, for around 10% more than the Oasis, the new Forma - physical page buttons and 8 full inches.
Advert
Old 12-12-2018, 07:04 PM   #3
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I have the Paperwhite 3 and the Paperwhite 4. I'm not sure I have much preference for one over the other. I do prefer the raised bezel of the Paperwhite 3. It makes it a bit easier to hold it without accidentally turning a page. But that's a very small difference. I like them about equally well.

I haven't seen an Oasis so I can't really comment on that. I'm not tempted by the larger screen. If anything I'd prefer a smaller screen.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 07:46 PM   #4
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
There have been a few complaints from owners of the Paperwhite 4 regarding washed-out text. Apparently there's an extra layer of screen which is thought to create this effect. If your Paperwhite 3 is working well, consider if you really need another reader.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 12:45 AM   #5
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Personally I don't think the PW4 is worth the upgrade, particularly because the screen hasn't improved at all. I'd get the Oasis, if you have money to burn.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2018, 02:59 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Oasis is a great reader - my favourite Kindle by a considerable margin - but one thing to consider is that it's considerably larger than the PW and almost square in shape due to the page turn buttons at the side. No problem if you read at home, or carry it around in a bag, but you can't put it in a normal-size pocket.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 11:34 AM   #7
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjmz View Post
Since you list a Kobo device, I'm going to suggest the H2O2 - 6.8 inches vs 7 for the Oasis, at only 2/3 the price. I love mine and think it's the sweet spot for price, size and performance...
If you're stuck between the new Paperwhite or the Oasis, I think the H2O2 is a good suggestion.

I've not been interested in Kindles before, but the Paperwhite 4 does look very nice. To me, the main appeals are the waterproofing and extra storage. If neither of those is a high priority to you, you should probably just stick with the 3 or look at the Kobo, since the H2O2 has both of the new features the 4 has, plus a larger screen and color-changing front light. It seems like it would feel like more of an upgrade from the 3

Last edited by ZodWallop; 12-14-2018 at 11:37 AM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 02:08 PM   #8
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
My PW3 works well, I don't need to upgrade to a PW4 (OK it is lighter and impermeable but no really different), In July I bought a Kobo Aura One because of the 7.8" screen. If there had been a 7.8" kindle, I would have bought it. If You want to remain in the Amazon's ambient You can buy an Oasis and use PW3 when te new reader is too large to take it with You.

Last edited by ps67; 12-18-2018 at 02:12 PM.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 08:17 PM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by voracious71 View Post
If you like the size of the Paperwhite (and you want to stay in the Kindle world), I think I would look at one of the new Kindle Voyages on Woot for $150. If you want the bigger screen then I would look at the Oasis. The Paperwhite 4 doesn't seem to be that big of an upgrade (unless waterproofing is important to you or you want to use your eReader for Audible content).

The Voyage on Woot.

https://computers.woot.com/offers/ki...nd_cat_pc_5_29
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 03:23 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
The Paperwhite 4 doesn't seem to be that big of an upgrade
One very significant factor, should one wish to have a large number of books on the device, is the 32GB storage option.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 03:28 PM   #11
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
One very significant factor, should one wish to have a large number of books on the device, is the 32GB storage option.
That's true. I never really think about that much as I don't own enough ebooks (altogether) to fill up my original Kindle 4 (no touch). But I can see where that would be an important consideration for those who have a big collection of eBooks and want to carry them wherever they go.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 07:01 PM   #12
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Oasis is a great reader - my favourite Kindle by a considerable margin - but one thing to consider is that it's considerably larger than the PW and almost square in shape due to the page turn buttons at the side. No problem if you read at home, or carry it around in a bag, but you can't put it in a normal-size pocket.
Yeah, the second Kindle would be for at home..so maybe the Oasis is the way to go..
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 07:54 PM   #13
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
That's true. I never really think about that much as I don't own enough ebooks (altogether) to fill up my original Kindle 4 (no touch).
Likewise. As my Kobo library grows and the 1Gb = 1000 books rule of thumb holds good, I know I will never get the 6500 books needed to fill the available space on my device. I imagine it's different for those who read manga or comics,, but if it's all ebooks, I'd wonder how well the processor in most ereaders would cope with 30K books to handle
Old 12-24-2018, 02:09 PM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjmz View Post
Likewise. As my Kobo library grows and the 1Gb = 1000 books rule of thumb holds good, I know I will never get the 6500 books needed to fill the available space on my device. I imagine it's different for those who read manga or comics,, but if it's all ebooks, I'd wonder how well the processor in most ereaders would cope with 30K books to handle
If like me, you are interested in cooking and add some cooking related ebooks to your collection, the 1000 books to 1GB is unrealistic. Any non-fiction books with illustrations are going to be well over 1MB in size. In my collection sorted by size, the largest epub is 367MB with the 16th book down the list checking in at 172MB.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 02:15 PM   #15
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
If like me, you are interested in cooking and add some cooking related ebooks to your collection, the 1000 books to 1GB is unrealistic. Any non-fiction books with illustrations are going to be well over 1MB in size. In my collection sorted by size, the largest epub is 367MB with the 16th book down the list checking in at 172MB.
A cooking book is indeed the largest in my collection, at 243MB, but I don't read that sort of content on e-ink readers. Cookbooks, language learning textbooks, linguistics and other popsci non-fiction works with lots of graphical content I prefer to read on full-colour displays. The really dense stuff, especially if PDF, I actually prefer my 28inch 4K monitor for. Although the results of my cooking may well look like the book's photos would on my Kobo