Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-10-2018, 10:07 AM   #1
Sarmat
Enthusiast
Sarmat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
How many hours for a book

I have a plugin which shows how many words are in a book. Taking in consideration average reading speed is it possible to have a column with predicted hours per book value?

The math is like:
(number of words)/(average words per hour)

I know my reading speed, calibre doesn't have to calculate it! I just need it to make one simple calculation

I tried making a column based on another column:
{#words}/11160

but it didn't work

Last edited by Sarmat; 12-10-2018 at 10:11 AM.
Sarmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 10:35 AM   #2
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarmat View Post
I have a plugin which shows how many words are in a book. Taking in consideration average reading speed is it possible to have a column with predicted hours per book value?

The math is like:
(number of words)/(average words per hour)

I know my reading speed, calibre doesn't have to calculate it! I just need it to make one simple calculation

I tried making a column based on another column:
{#words}/11160

but it didn't work
You can use the Template Functions utility.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2018-12-10 10-32-32.png
Views:	116
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	168271

bernie

EDIT

https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/template_lang.html

Last edited by gbm; 12-10-2018 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Add link for template help page.
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2018, 11:10 AM   #3
Sarmat
Enthusiast

I have experimented dozen times with divide(x, y) in different formats and styles
but i failed

examples:
{divide(10, 2)}
divide(10, 2)
Old 12-10-2018, 11:14 AM   #4
NSILMike
Guru
NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Lenovo Android Tablet
Just do it yourself since you know how many words per book.
NSILMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 11:17 AM   #5
Sarmat
Enthusiast

I am too lazy for this
and besides I have a lot of books
Advert
Old 12-10-2018, 11:22 AM   #6
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
I have experimented dozen times with divide(x, y) in different formats and styles
but i failed

examples:
{divide(10, 2)}
divide(10, 2)
You will need to use Using functions in templates - template program mode or Using general program mode.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 10:24 PM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The following template should work:

Code:
program:
format_number(divide(raw_field('#word_count'),11160),'{0:5.2f}')
You will need to use the correct column name and output template to suit.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 07:34 AM   #8
Sarmat
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post

Code:
program:
It has worked, thank you.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:51 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSILMike View Post
Just do it yourself since you know how many words per book.
Quote:
I am too lazy for this
and besides I have a lot of books
All us computer users are lazy and dedicated to the principal that simple, repetitive tasks should be done by computers freeing us for the important decisions such as which book to read next.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 05:39 AM   #10
Sarmat
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post

Code:
program:
Is it possible to make Calibre think that
12 is bigger than 3
or that
23 is bigger than 4?

for now Calibre considers only first character in the number when sorting
can I have it sort everything right?
Old 12-12-2018, 08:55 AM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Is it possible to make Calibre think that
12 is bigger than 3
or that
23 is bigger than 4?

for now Calibre considers only first character in the number when sorting
can I have it sort everything right?
In the definition of the column, there is an option to set the type for searching and sorting. Setting that to "Number" works here.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote