Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-20-2013, 06:26 PM   #1
apexskier
apexskier can self-interpret dreams as they happen.apexskier can self-interpret dreams as they happen.apexskier can self-interpret dreams as they happen.apexskier can self-interpret dreams as they happen.apexskier can self-interpret dreams as they happen.apexskier can self-interpret dreams as they happen.apexskier can self-interpret dreams as they happen.apexskier can self-interpret dreams as they happen.apexskier can self-interpret dreams as they happen.apexskier can self-interpret dreams as they happen.apexskier can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Kindle Wifi on Raspberry Pi

Hello,

I have a Kindle 4 NT that I've successfully Jailbroken and installed USBNet on. I've managed to set it up as a screen (terminal only) for my Raspberry Pi using the KindleTERM SSH Client and some custom routing. My current idea is to use the Kindle's wifi connection as internet for my Raspberry Pi as well (basically the opposite of https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Inte...Kindle_via_USB). This will let me use one of the Pi's usb ports for a screen/wifi and the other usb port for my keyboard. I've been playing around with iptables and routing but can't figure it out.

What I think the solution should be is to use something like the command
Code:
up iptables -A POSTROUTING -t nat -j MASQUERADE -s 192.168.15.0/24
to route traffic through the Kindle's usb interface through the router and back through the usb interface. However, the Kindle appears to only have the default filter iptable (no nat or anything else) and to not recognize MASQUERADE.

I've also attempted to use ssh tunneling to gain internet access through the kindle, but I've had no success with that either.

Does anyone have any ideas or places they can direct me for more information?

Thanks!
Cameron
apexskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:45 PM   #2
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
umm yeah...

you would need someone to have recently build custom modules for such a purpose. the default ones don't do the business...

http://bitbucket.org/twobob/kual-system/src

you should find them in there... knc1 and I have been working towards such a goal.

knc1 would know more about the actual implementation. but there are the tools.

HTH
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:22 PM   #3
apexskier
apexskier can self-interpret dreams as they happen.apexskier can self-interpret dreams as they happen.apexskier can self-interpret dreams as they happen.apexskier can self-interpret dreams as they happen.apexskier can self-interpret dreams as they happen.apexskier can self-interpret dreams as they happen.apexskier can self-interpret dreams as they happen.apexskier can self-interpret dreams as they happen.apexskier can self-interpret dreams as they happen.apexskier can self-interpret dreams as they happen.apexskier can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Wow, that's pretty impressive.

I'm guessing that the ipt_MASQUERADE file here is what I need, but will I be able to make that work with the existing linux kernel on my Kindle currently?

I really don't know how if it's possible, but I figure info on compiling linux kindle modules will be available online.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:47 PM   #4
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

yeah. those are built for EVERY kindle that kual supports. yours included.

do a uname -a to determine which tranche you need. and read the notes on loading the 10mb bundle (That contains them ALL, for ALL kindles in under 10mb in a cramfs)

I added a script in there somewhere for plebs like me to make it easy...
its in the a README somewhere.
EDIT: oh right I see it..

Quote:
run extensions/system/bin/module_loader to mount modules.
This is to be improved.

Honestly.. if there is a module missing? I will be very surprised. There is a kitchenSink.ko in there somewhere (okay not really, in-joke)

EDIT: if they ARE missing LET US KNOW HERE

honestly though. give it a cruise buddy. should be in there.

You'll just have to deal with making the folders by hand for now - all runs from FAT

Last edited by twobob; 03-20-2013 at 07:54 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:52 PM   #5
twobob

Code:
#!/bin/sh
mount -t cramfs /mnt/us/extensions/system/modules.cfs /mnt/us/extensions/system/lib/modules
Old 03-20-2013, 07:56 PM   #6
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexskier View Post
Wow, that's pretty impressive.
Wait... PRETTY impressive? I think you meant mind-bogglingly impressive

HEHEHEHE
Old 03-21-2013, 12:11 AM   #7
brianinmaine
Evangelist
brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Touch (5.3.7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Wait... PRETTY impressive? I think you meant mind-bogglingly impressive

HEHEHEHE
From what I've seen on this forum, you are in the group of mind-bogglingly impressive to me! Keep it up!
brianinmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:20 AM   #8
twobob

lol. thanks man. I was just teasing

for a guy who knew next-to-f-all about linux, arm, X, scripting, makefiles, and well basically everything 9 months ago. I reckon I am doing okay.

Hey. My signature says it all. No one will learn this stuff for you. Just gotta make it happen .

I did try my best to get some kernel level support today for your clock port. No joy so far...

All I really hope is that with gtk being a reality on all devices now and all the other possibilities that exist that didn't as little as 6 months ago that MORE DEVELOPERS will take the time to throw even just ONE project into the mix.

Each one allows me to learn that little bit more.. and hopefully through that give a little bit more back each time.

Here's hoping.

Thanks for the pep talk. It's gets pretty lonely.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:14 AM   #9
apexskier

Thank's a lot twobob, I'll give that a go in a few days. I'm heading home for the first part of my spring break, so I won't have time to mess around, but I'll try to get things working and will keep this thread informed about my progress.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:13 AM   #10
twobob

cool man.

knc1 might be back around by then. He actually built all the networking bits for much the same reason you wanted them (although I think he wanted... err.. something that allowed it to stop requesting info once it had determined it couldn't rather than stupidly sitting there and insisting it should keep trying for a minute)

The bbb thread IIRC.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:53 AM   #11
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexskier View Post
Hello,

I have a Kindle 4 NT that I've successfully Jailbroken and installed USBNet on. I've managed to set it up as a screen (terminal only) for my Raspberry Pi using the KindleTERM SSH Client and some custom routing. My current idea is to use the Kindle's wifi connection as internet for my Raspberry Pi as well (basically the opposite of https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Inte...Kindle_via_USB). This will let me use one of the Pi's usb ports for a screen/wifi and the other usb port for my keyboard. I've been playing around with iptables and routing but can't figure it out.

What I think the solution should be is to use something like the command
Code:
up iptables -A POSTROUTING -t nat -j MASQUERADE -s 192.168.15.0/24
to route traffic through the Kindle's usb interface through the router and back through the usb interface. However, the Kindle appears to only have the default filter iptable (no nat or anything else) and to not recognize MASQUERADE.

I've also attempted to use ssh tunneling to gain internet access through the kindle, but I've had no success with that either.

Does anyone have any ideas or places they can direct me for more information?

Thanks!
Cameron
Yes - the Mobile Read Dev-Forum (you are here).

First - install KUAL
Second - install the KUAL firewall (with the only iptables infrastructure that we support)
Third - as twobob said - locate and copy the cramfs kernel module addition, mount it
Fourth - decide which interface will be your outgoing port to the world (there is a dedicated iptable chain for each).
Fifth - add the appropriately modified version of your proposed rule to the appropriate outgoing chain.
Sixth - write a KUAL button for those operations.
Seventh - pay your dues by submitting that KUAL button for others to use.

PS: The information on everything KUAL is being collected here:
http://wiki.knetconnect.com/twiki/bi...uttons/WebHome
Although far from complete, it represents a pretty good start right now.

PS2: The site does have more than just a button list:
http://wiki.knetconnect.com/twiki/bi.../TWiki/SiteMap

PS3: There is an associated site that handles the usual 'support forum' and other feedback on things KUAL related here:
http://kual.knetconnect.com/

Last edited by knc1; 03-22-2013 at 08:44 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 02:55 PM   #12
matz
matz began at the beginning.

Hello,
I have the same idea: to use my Kindle 4 NT as an USB-WIFI 'stick'.
On my jailbreaked device with usbnet running I tried to insmod the additional kernel modules:
nf_nat.ko and iptables_nat.ko
(from https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...7&d=1361917519)

However, I get the following error message:

cd /mnt/us/extensions/system/lib/modules/2.6.31-rt11-lab126/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter
[root@kindle netfilter]# insmod nf_nat.ko
insmod: error inserting 'nf_nat.ko': -1 Unknown symbol in module

ARE THERE ANY DIFFERENT COMPILED MODULE FILES THAT WOULD WORK WITH MY K4NT?

The system output is the following:
/var/log/messages

150517:182829 nf_nat: Unknown symbol nf_conntrack_tcp_update
150517:182829 nf_nat: Unknown symbol local_bh_enable
150517:182829 nf_nat: Unknown symbol local_bh_disable

[root@kindle netfilter]# uname -a
Linux kindle 2.6.31-rt11-lab126 #5 Sat Jan 12 20:39:09 PST 2013 armv7l unknown

[root@kindle netfilter]# cat /etc/version.txt
System Software Version: 025-H3_yoshi-181303
Sat Jan 12 20:40:53 PST 2013

[root@kindle netfilter]# cat /etc/prettyversion.txt
Kindle 4.1.1 (~~otaVersion~~)

Thanks in advance, Matz.
matz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 03:06 PM   #13
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
I never got much feedback from users, so I never built another set of modules.

From what I have heard back, they should "just work" (if you pick from the directory tree headed by your device's version string).

- - - - - -

Double posting is seriously frowned on here (and against the rules).

Last edited by knc1; 05-17-2015 at 04:52 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle 4 nt, raspberry pi, wifi tether