Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-08-2019, 05:14 PM   #1
pacman
pacman began at the beginning.

Device: Forma, Touch
Convince me please.

Hello there, wish I had found these forums before they seem very helpful.

I'm going to retire my Nook touch with silly light appendage. I'd like an ereader with a bigger screen so some of the 7.8 inch models look quite nice. At the moment I'm swayed between the kobo forma and the Mars likebook. But to be perfectly honest I really don't think the SD card slot wi-fi and Bluetooth are much use to me, all I want to do is lie in bed and read a book and as such I know I'll find an Android e-reader possibly a distraction to focusing on reading if you catch my drift.

The vast majority of my ebooks collection are ePub format and I certainly will not consider Kindle in any shape or form. I really like the look of the forma, it's just a little bit pricey here in the UK although cost isn't an issue.

I don't really read comics on an e-reader and I won't use PDFs. Bluetooth is a nice touch as I do listen to audiobooks but again it's kind of bothering me that having an e reader with Bluetooth will distract me from purely reading. I can use my phone for that.

Any feedback appreciated.
pacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 05:22 PM   #2
Lparsons21
Zealot
Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 4
If you have a lot of Nook books and need to use the Nook app to read them the Mars Likebook currently won’t run the current Nook app. It will run version 3.5.3.5 and it works ok though not great.

And from reading other threads and my personal use of the Likebook is that is as good as any e-ink Android tablet but is fairly laggy in operation. I’m not as pleased with it as I had hoped I would be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Lparsons21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2019, 05:30 PM   #3
pacman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lparsons21 View Post
If you have a lot of Nook books and need to use the Nook app to read them the Mars Likebook currently won’t run the current Nook app. It will run version 3.5.3.5 and it works ok though not great.

And from reading other threads and my personal use of the Likebook is that is as good as any e-ink Android tablet but is fairly laggy in operation. I’m not as pleased with it as I had hoped I would be.

Interesting I thought that the CPU on it would be more than adequate. Considering the price of the likebook Mars £180, that's the only thing that was putting me off I thought I'd rather pay another £60 and go for the kobo? That said reading various reviews they seem to perform very similarly?
Old 02-08-2019, 06:46 PM   #4
Lparsons21
Zealot
Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 4
I thought the cpu the Likebook has would be better than it is. My gut feeling is that they didn’t optimize for the cpu very well. It is running Android 6 because that’s the last version with eink support, but it may just be that eink is inherently laggy especially in the more generic Android eink devices than are the dedicated readers like my Kindle Voyage.

I have moved back to my iPad mini 4 since it is vastly faster and the apps are just much better in performance, features and presentation.

Lparsons21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 12:32 AM   #5
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
get the forma, or to save lots of money get an 8 inch amazon fire tablet, tweak it to run google play and epub readers, and learn to ignore distractions - putting it in airplane mode may help with that. it has comfort light and is on sale - again - so ridiculously cheap

with it online - having online access to dictionaries while you read can be a feature
you will need to charge it every couple of days though [ unless you keep it in airplane mode and only use it for reading] - the forma will run for a couple of weeks, maybe longer.
in my experience, the fires lose about 10% charge overnight in standby sleep. none if powered off but they are then slow to restart. i have not tested sleep + airplane mode
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2019, 08:54 PM   #6
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
I'm not sure why you'd get an Android reader. None of your requirements seem to require one. In fact you say it would be a distraction.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 11:54 PM   #7
cajunrph
cajunrph began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Oasis 2 & 3, Kobo Forma, Nook Glowlight 3
The Kobo Aura H2O is still available. $179.00. 6.8 inch screen. It doesn't have the physical page turn buttons that the Forms has. But it's $100 cheaper. Check it out on the UK site.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
cajunrph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 05:55 PM   #8
pacman

I went for the forma. Pretty pleased with it, very comfortable to use and looks very nice. I got a tidy felt case of ebay also. Didn't want to spoil it with the clumsy stock covers.
Old 02-16-2019, 01:58 PM   #9
maximus83
Nameless Being

The Kobo Forma is a good choice, and meets your requirements. I really like mine. I agree with your reasoning, and think a simple ereader better meets your requirements. You can use real Android devices (which support the latest versions Android say 8.x and newer, unlike these e-ink Android readers) for everything else you want to do.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:52 AM   #10
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lparsons21 View Post
If you have a lot of Nook books and need to use the Nook app to read them the Mars Likebook currently won’t run the current Nook app.
Of course, you can download the Nook books and import them to Calibre with the Alf plug-in and read them on a Kobo (or any other reader) with no problem. It's what I did.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 06:13 PM   #11
Polarpenguin
Groupie
Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS- T3S, Kobo aura H2O Kobo aura One Kobo libra
As your in the UK ,Argos currently have the Kobo Aura One on clearance for £159.99.

Edit: See you went for the Forma. Teach me to read the whole thread properly.

Last edited by Polarpenguin; 02-21-2019 at 06:15 PM.
Polarpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:16 PM   #12
mrpops
mrpops began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
likebook mimas? 10.3 inch ereader.

to be honest, if you want to read pdf's nothing beats a tablet and moon+ reader - for reading books i'd go with something small like a 6 inch.

you can convert all your ebooks with calibre and they look really well, the kindle software is very strong (much better than anything else i've seen).

with the kindle you'd get access to easy custom font changing, the new .kfx file support (you can convert via calibre your epubs) with better font kerning and hyphenation support.

A kindle voyage you could probably pick up from ebay for like $60, I recently picked one up myself and i'm loving it.
mrpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 03:45 AM   #13
verserquer
verserquer began at the beginning.

Device: Likebook Mars T80D
You should have a look at the new Likebook Muses that is Likebook Mars + Dual Touch (Finger + Wacom Pen for about 100$ more.
verserquer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 08:16 AM   #14
sunnysmiles
Addict
sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: I pad air, kindle pw2 and kindle touch , kindle had fire Nook pad nook
Having used Kindle for many years. I switched to the Kobo forma. Am extremely happy with it. I prefer the lighting of it . The battery is better than the Kindle oasis ,screen is slightly bigger. You can also download books from your local library.
sunnysmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 09:37 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarpenguin View Post
As your in the UK ,Argos currently have the Kobo Aura One on clearance for £159.99.

Edit: See you went for the Forma. Teach me to read the whole thread properly.
Argos is just about out of the KA1. You can't get it sent. You have to find the odd store that may have one and go there to get it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote