Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-30-2019, 08:45 AM   #256
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
And are you sure it is inconsistent? Is it possible that they get updated the next time you use calibre to send a book to the device? And, again to be explicit: the books already on the device when you send new books using calibre, get the metadata such as series info, ISBN and publishing details updated.
BTW, only if metadata management is set to automatic, AFAIK.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 10:57 AM   #257
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owl_ View Post
Yes, I met the same problem. Other problems:
- big html in some kebus go slow (I had to split them with Sigil)
- The buttons < > at the bottom of the dictionay's windows, take more space then before (turning page only swiping, was better)
thanks for that.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 10:58 AM   #258
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I tested and I see the same. I don't even know why I had a TXT file on the device to be able to do that, so I have no idea when it was broken. But, I can say it should be fixed in the next release.

thanks, that's good to know.

best wishes koboy
Old 02-04-2019, 11:43 AM   #259
RoboStrawberry
RoboStrawberry began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Hey, guys.

I tried to search for this, but either nobody else has experienced this exact problem (which I find unlikely), or I couldn't find the right google incantation to find results.

I have a Kobo Forma and want to mess around with development on it. I downloaded the Mark 7 version of the firmware from the OP, to keep as a known good copy. When I flash it manually to the tablet, the system reboots as normal, but the tablet is unable to locate any wifi networks. It will search for them, then report that none are visible. If I perform a factory reset, the tablet can locate networks again.

The tablet auto updates to firmware 4.12.12111 after a factory reset and that is the same version of the firmware I am manually flashing.

I played around with the firmware, and modified it to execute a shell script on boot that lives in the /mnt/onboard directory. I used that to give myself a copy of the wpa_supplicant.conf file and manually added my network and key information, then wrote that back to the /etc/ directory, but the system won't autoconnect or even discover any networks.

Has anyone else run into this?

Much obliged.
RoboStrawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 12:22 PM   #260
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@RoboStrawberry: is it functional after the auto-update following the factory reset?

Because if it is, that would strongly indicate a PEBCAK in your manual updating process (say, a missing upgrade folder or a wrong Mk package?) .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 12:33 PM   #261
RoboStrawberry
RoboStrawberry began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
@NiLuJe

The tablet is otherwise functional, yes. It's possible that it's a PEBCAK, but I followed the manual update instructions (that I found here). I also made sure to copy the upgrade directory and the manifest.md5sum files, so the entire contents of the downloaded zip file.

EDIT

PEBCAK indeed, but not the one that you may have expected. 'twas a file ownership issue.

Previously, I created the tarball with
Code:
tar -cvzf ../KoboRoot.tgz .
Which set the UID and GID values for the files in the resulting tarball to 1000 (my UID on my Debian box). Clearly that threw a wrench in the works. Instead, if I create that tarball like this
Code:
tar -cvzf ../KoboRoot.tgz . --owner=0 --group=0
the file ownership is kept correctly. I think what was happening was that some file somewhere couldn't be read correctly or that the Linux kernel had a right problem with a file not being owned by root.

Last edited by RoboStrawberry; 02-04-2019 at 12:54 PM.
RoboStrawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 01:41 PM   #262
please55
Connoisseur
please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
Thanks for sharing your config. How do I properly apply it?

This post guides you to the four .yaml files in src and to edit the preferences there.

Your file here seems to reference files that don't exist in the kobopatches I just downloaded.

Ex.
src/libnickel.so.1.0.0_custom.yaml: usr/local/Kobo/libnickel.so.1.0.0
src/libnickel.so.1.0.0_dev.yaml: usr/local/Kobo/libnickel.so.1.0.0

or these
fonts/IBMPlexSans-BoldItalic.ttf: mnt/onboard/fonts/IBMPlexSans-BoldItalic.ttf
fonts/IBMPlexSans-Bold.ttf: mnt/onboard/fonts/IBMPlexSans-Bold.ttf

Where do these come from? Am I just supposed to copy paste this file to replace the kobopatch.yaml in the root folder?
please55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 02:17 PM   #263
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by please55 View Post
Thanks for sharing your config. How do I properly apply it?

This post guides you to the four .yaml files in src and to edit the preferences there.

Your file here seems to reference files that don't exist in the kobopatches I just downloaded.

Ex.
src/libnickel.so.1.0.0_custom.yaml: usr/local/Kobo/libnickel.so.1.0.0
src/libnickel.so.1.0.0_dev.yaml: usr/local/Kobo/libnickel.so.1.0.0

or these
fonts/IBMPlexSans-BoldItalic.ttf: mnt/onboard/fonts/IBMPlexSans-BoldItalic.ttf
fonts/IBMPlexSans-Bold.ttf: mnt/onboard/fonts/IBMPlexSans-Bold.ttf

Where do these come from? Am I just supposed to copy paste this file to replace the kobopatch.yaml in the root folder?
They are in my kobopatch-config repository on GitHub. Just clone it and run kobopatch inside it after you download the firmware. Note that it does contain patches in development, so don't just use it blindly. I suggest you take the individual parts you want. The _custom ones are ones I customized, the _dev ones are ones I'm working on, and the rest are the default ones from the zips.

P.S. The 3 libadobe patches which have been missing for over a year (preserve pan position, disable page arrows, remove map) are coming back soon. I'm going to be working on redoing them tonight. Also, due to the newest features I added to kobopatch, they will probably be universal and usable on any version without changes.

Last edited by geek1011; 02-06-2019 at 02:29 PM.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 08:43 PM   #264
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
The 3 missing libadobe patches are back: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=177
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 05:58 AM   #265
Nothingness
Zealot
Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura H2O Limited Edition
Which one of the Kobo Aura H2O firmware should I download? Mine is the Limited Edition that comes with 32GB of memory:

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2017/10/prweb14858540.htm
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 06:50 AM   #266
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothingness View Post
Which one of the Kobo Aura H2O firmware should I download? Mine is the Limited Edition that comes with 32GB of memory:

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2017/10/prweb14858540.htm
That press release is for the Aura ONE Limited Edition. I've never heard of an Aura H2O Limited Edition.

If you have an Aura ONE Limited Edition, it uses the same firmware package as the Aura ONE.

But, if you have an Aura H2O, then there are three different devices. There is the original Aura H2O (with external SD card) which uses the Mark 5 firmware package. This was replaced by the Aura H2O Edition 2. This uses the Mark 6 firmware package. This had an internal hardware upgrade to produce a version 2 model that uses the Mark 7 firmware package. The change was to the CPU, not the storage. The only external difference between these is the seventh digit of the serial number. This is "0" for the first version and "2" for the second version.

Last edited by davidfor; 02-11-2019 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Fixed mark version for the original Aura H2O.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:59 AM   #267
Nothingness
Zealot
Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura H2O Limited Edition
Yes, it is an Aura H2O, it says so in the options, about Aura H2O. Unfortunately, the new version of Kobo desktop is crap and don't show any informations about my ereaders anymore, and it doesn't look like it made the updates as well of their firmwares, so I will have to do that manually.

Mine can add an external SD card. And I bought one for it, must be the first.

Last edited by Nothingness; 02-11-2019 at 09:23 AM.
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 12:00 PM   #268
koboy
Wizard

Quote:
That press release is for the Aura ONE Limited Edition. I've never heard of an Aura H2O Limited Edition.

If you have an Aura ONE Limited Edition, it uses the same firmware package as the Aura ONE.

But, if you have an Aura H2O, then there are three different devices. There is the original Aura H2O (with external SD card) which uses the Mark 4 firmware package. This was replaced by the Aura H2O Edition 2. This uses the Mark 6 firmware package. This had an internal hardware upgrade to produce a version 2 model that uses the Mark 7 firmware package. The change was to the CPU, not the storage. The only external difference between these is the seventh digit of the serial number. This is "0" for the first version and "2" for the second version.
i thought the original Aura H2O (with external SD card) used the Mark 5 firmware package? not 4.

best wishes koboy
Old 02-11-2019, 05:34 PM   #269
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koboy View Post
i thought the original Aura H2O (with external SD card) used the Mark 5 firmware package? not 4.
Yes your right. Fixed my post.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:07 PM   #270
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothingness View Post
Yes, it is an Aura H2O, it says so in the options, about Aura H2O. Unfortunately, the new version of Kobo desktop is crap and don't show any informations about my ereaders anymore, and it doesn't look like it made the updates as well of their firmwares, so I will have to do that manually.
It would be better to look on the device for the current firmware version. It is on the Device information page of the settings. And if it isn't 4.12111, enable WiFi and do a sync.

It has been a couple of months since I tried, but the desktop application did do the firmware update for me the last time one was available. But, I don't remember the last time I looked at what information it has about the connected device.
[QUOTE
Mine can add an external SD card. And I bought one for it, must be the first.[/QUOTE]

Definitely the original. And there wasn't a Limited Edition version of that. It would have 4GB of internal storage unless someone upgraded it.