Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-25-2010, 08:27 AM   #61
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Try the Promises to Keep quartet by Shayne Parkinson. The 4 books are available at Smashwords (the first, Sentence of Marriage, is free; the others are $1.99 each). I wrote a review of the series at my An American Editor blog. Shayne is also a MobileRead participant. The story begins in 1880s New Zealand and goes on from there.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 06:47 PM   #62
Shayne Parkinson
Author
Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
Try the Promises to Keep quartet by Shayne Parkinson. The 4 books are available at Smashwords (the first, Sentence of Marriage, is free; the others are $1.99 each). I wrote a review of the series at my An American Editor blog. Shayne is also a MobileRead participant. The story begins in 1880s New Zealand and goes on from there.
Thanks, Richard! Your review is wonderful - one of the very best I've received.

Shayne Parkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:52 AM   #63
bookoffers
Connoisseur
bookoffers began at the beginning.

Device: NOne
Try the following:

Accused – Mark Gimenez
The Whisperers – John Connolly
The Lake Shore Limited – Sue Miller
The Snowman – Jo Nesbo
bookoffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:17 AM   #64
Steve Anderson
Addict
Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, laptop, more
If the 1940s count (I hope they do!), I can recommend December 6 by Martin Cruz Smith, the same author who wrote Gorky Park. December 6 has been overlooked but I think it's a great story that gets inside Imperial Japan on the eve of Pearl Harbor through the eyes of an American expat with one foot in both cultures. The story has shades of Casablanca:

http://www.amazon.com/December-6-ebo...1164444&sr=1-1

There seems to be dueling historical fiction threads going on -- good to see.

Steve
Steve Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 07:42 PM   #65
Steve Anderson
Addict
Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, laptop, more
I mentioned this on the other historical fiction thread: I found a great site that lists historical fiction by period:

historicalnovels.info/

-- Steve
Steve Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 10:37 AM   #66
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Legacy by Susan Kay is excellent, about Elizabeth I.
Jack Dawkins by Charlton Daines is a good Victorian era, borrowing the Artful Dodger from Charles Dickens.
I'll have to look across my shelves because I know I have a lot of good ones.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 12:57 AM   #67
Treven
Addict
Treven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
My preference, and I’ve read all his books, is Steven Saylor. His books on Ancient Rome are fantastic.
Treven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 07:26 AM   #68
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadingManiac View Post
Legacy by Susan Kay is excellent, about Elizabeth I.
Jack Dawkins by Charlton Daines is a good Victorian era, borrowing the Artful Dodger from Charles Dickens.
I'll have to look across my shelves because I know I have a lot of good ones.
Continuing on from this,

Pompeii by Robert Harris

For Egypt, Christian Jaqc's Ramses series that starts with Son of the Light

Tai-Pan by James Clavell

London by James Rutherfurd, also several of his other books. I've read Paris, Sarum, Dublin, and Russka. All were good reads.
Old 05-21-2020, 12:33 PM   #69
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Chiming in with another Ancient Rome recommendation: the SPQR series by John Maddox Roberts starting with the first of 13 The King's Gambit. Set a century earlier than Falco's adventures, it parallels the ascendancy of Julius Caesar (protagonist marries Cesar's niece partway through).
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 12:50 PM   #70
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I cannot believe no one has mentioned Hilary Mantel's briliant Wolf Hall trilogy.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 08:38 AM   #71
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I cannot believe no one has mentioned Hilary Mantel's briliant Wolf Hall trilogy.
I don't get the hype on this one. I DNF'd it. A lot of people seem to like it though.

Carrying on with recommendations, I've been reading Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. Mostly brilliant except a couple of sex scenes where the author demonstrates he knows nothing about women.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:17 AM   #72
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadingManiac View Post
I don't get the hype on this one. I DNF'd it. A lot of people seem to like it though.

Carrying on with recommendations, I've been reading Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. Mostly brilliant except a couple of sex scenes where the author demonstrates he knows nothing about women.
Funny that, I was the other way round. I like Follett's spy novels, but I could not get into Pillars to save my life. I am about 1/3 of the way through The Mirror and the Light now to finish off the Wolf Hall set. It may be that I am pre-disposed to the time period as I love many, many things Elizabethan. This is the forerunner and I have read a great deal during the Tudor era as well.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 10:29 AM   #73
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Almost anything by Kenneth Roberts. Here's a link for the curious:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=kenneth+r...f=nb_sb_noss_2
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 10:44 AM   #74
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
Funny that, I was the other way round. I like Follett's spy novels, but I could not get into Pillars to save my life. I am about 1/3 of the way through The Mirror and the Light now to finish off the Wolf Hall set. It may be that I am pre-disposed to the time period as I love many, many things Elizabethan. This is the forerunner and I have read a great deal during the Tudor era as well.
Similarly, I also like Follett’s spy novels but had to abandon Fall of Giants very early and that was done for me in regard to Follet’s historical sagas. As for the Wolf Hall trilogy, I loved the first book and was hugely disappointed in the second. I’ve got the third on tap and am hoping Mantel reverts to the standard of the first book.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 05:39 AM   #75
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
My favorite historical fiction, in no particular order:

Pillars of the Earth by Follet and the Sequel World without End (didn't care for the third)
Beneath a Scarlett Sky by Sullivan
Armegedon by Uris
Mila 18 by Uris
The Plum Tree by Ellen Marie Wiseman (any book of hers are good, this one stood out)
All the Light we Cannot See by Doerr
The Robe by Douglass
Gone with the Wind by Mitchell
The Physican by Gordon and the Sequel Shaman
The Secret Chord by Brooks (Most of hers are good, this one outstanding)
The Tatooist of Auschwitz by Morris (Currently have Cilka's Journey the sequel on deck)
The Nightingale by Hannah
Shashenka by Montefiore (and the two sequels)
A Gentleman in Moscow by Towles
War and Peace Tolstoy (probably my fav)
Russka by Rutherford (IMO his best work having read Sarum and London)

I read a lot of historical fiction, it's my favorite Genre. WWII is obviously big for me based on the list.

Last edited by drofgnal; 05-25-2020 at 05:04 AM.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote