Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 05-10-2010, 05:59 PM   #1
tselling
Addict
tselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enough

Device: NookColor (MiRage/CM7.2 & Moon+ Reader Pro)
userstyle.css and epub margins

Has anyone had any luck reducing the margins on their sony reader using userstyle.css? I have been able to use my preferred font (Aller) with a russian hack that allows a user accessible userstyle.css but changing the margins doesn't seem to do anything. I understand that justification cannot be changed currently, and am wondering if the margins are the same.

If someone has been able modify the margins and have it work on their reader, could you provide your userstyle.css please. I am using a prs-300 but I think any reader hacked with accessible userstyle.css should be the same.
Thanks.
tselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:34 AM   #2
terrythiel
terrythiel began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS300
epub margins and fonts changes for Sony reader

Some epub books have wide margins on my Sony PRS300. Using Calibre I was able to remove margins that did not seem to respond to changing the margin settings in Calibre's "page setup" menu.

Open Calibre
Make a copy of the book you are altering (in case of serious problems with the conversion)
  • Go to the drop down menu on the right of the “Add book” menu symbol and add an “empty book”.
  • In the library list, select the empty book and holding down the Ctrl button select the book you want to copy (in that order!)
  • With both books selected hold down Alt and M keys to make a copy of the book
Select the copy of the Book title in library
  • right click the book and select “tweak epub” from the drop down menu
  • Explode epub
  • Delete the .XPGT file from the OEBPS folder.
  • Rebuild epub

In Calibre
Select book title in library
  • Click on “Convert books” to go to the conversion options page for the book
  • In “page setup” set the margins to whatever you want (0 is fine if you want no margin)
  • Save and upload book to reader

I also changed fonts with instructions I found here:
http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...a-sony-reader/
terrythiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2010, 02:59 PM   #3
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
You need to be careful when deleting the xpgt file, because it also controls top and bottom margins. For example, the xpgt will often determine the top margin for a new chapter--if you delete it the chapter will begin at the top of the screen, rather than half way down.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:56 AM   #4
goaspy
Connoisseur
goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tselling View Post
If someone has been able modify the margins and have it work on their reader, could you provide your userstyle.css please. I am using a prs-300 but I think any reader hacked with accessible userstyle.css should be the same.
Thanks.
@page {
margin-left:5px;
margin-right:2px;
margin-top:7px;
margin-bottom:1px
}

I used this on the PRS-600, and now on the PRS-650, but you have to remove similar settings from the css file inside the epub, if there is one.
goaspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:07 PM   #5
terrythiel

To which e-pub file would I add

@page {
}

Does it matter where it is placed?
Advert
Old 10-22-2010, 01:25 AM   #6
goaspy
Connoisseur
goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.

I have it in the userStyle.css file exposed my the russified firmware, on the reader, after the @font-face region.

I also set margins to zero in other elements.

body {
margin-left:0;
margin-right:0;
margin-top:0;
margin-bottom:0
}

@page {
}

p {
text-indent:32px;
text-align: justify;
margin-left:0;
margin-right:0;
margin-top:0;
margin-bottom:0;
word-spacing:130%;
line-height:131%;
font-family:"Liberation";
font-size:106%;
color:black;
widows:1;
orphans:1
}
Old 10-22-2010, 07:47 PM   #7
terrythiel

Thanks - I also have the russified firmware - love the clock!

I will try your settings.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:10 AM   #8
terrythiel

Does a userstyle.css file on the reader override the userstyle.css file included in the epub file or vice versa?
Old 10-28-2010, 01:51 PM   #9
goaspy
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrythiel View Post
Does a userstyle.css file on the reader override the userstyle.css file included in the epub file or vice versa?
If a css file exists inside the epub, it will override settings from the css file on the reader. I usually delete settings from the embedded file, but only what I know it's covered by the reader's stylesheet.

If the epub doesn't have a css file inside, the reader's sheet overrides a style defined inside the html/xhtml file: "...<style type="text/css">@page{margin:30px}body{font-family: ..."