Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Interead COOL-ER

Notices

Old 02-01-2010, 10:46 AM   #1
Kooper35
Kooper35 began at the beginning.

Device: Cool-er v1.12.9
Cool-er file names

Hi forum,

Sorry my first post is a question I've been using my Cool-er for a month or so now and patched it to v1.12.9.
I'm not sure if its a bug with the reader or not but some of the books's titles I have on the device can't be read and instead show "file:///c:/documents%and%..." or "Microsoft Word" etc. The books themselves read just fine its purely out of asthetics that I wonder if it can be remedied.

Thansk for reading

John
Kooper35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 04:26 PM   #2
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
format?

What format are the books that you are having this problem with? Are they epub files or some other format?

Do you use Calibre to transfer books over?

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2010, 05:20 PM   #3
Kooper35

Calibre

Hi

Thanks for the reply, no I didn't know of Calibre's existence until you mentioned it. I simply copied the files over my hand and am trying it out now. My books are mainly pdf's with a few rtf,doc files mixed in. Hope this work's
Old 02-02-2010, 09:24 AM   #4
Kooper35

Calibre :)

Thanks for the advice, Calibre worked like a dream I spent ages reformating all my books into order With the exception of 1 file everything is working fine.

Ta muchly
Old 02-02-2010, 10:26 AM   #5
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
ahh

I am glad that it worked out for you!

I am going to guess the problem originally was with the .rtf and .doc files because they would not have the bit of code in them that would display title and author name. But that is just a guess on my part.

Calibre is indeed an awesome program!

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2010, 02:47 PM   #6
codeMonkey
Zealot
codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Cool-ER (running pocketbook firmware), Nokia N800, Nokia N900
When the Cool-ER finds new files it tries to read the metadata from them.
In a lot of cases if it hasn't been produced with something like Calibre it'll get it wrong.
It will save this wrong information so it doesn't have to extract the metadata again next time.
The advantage for us, is if you don't want to convert the file to another format you can just edit this metadata yourself - the Cool-ER stores it under the .thumbnails/ folder, in the same structure as the folders on your reader.
For example if you have an SD card with the following structure:
Code:
Your SD Card
   Fiction/
      fictionBook.pdf
   NonFiction/
      nonficBook.pdf
there would also be a hidden directory called .thumbnails, inside which would be the following:
Code:
Your SD Card
   .thumbnails/
      Fiction/
         fictionBook.png
         fictionBook.info
         fictionBook.las
      NonFiction/
         nonficBook.png
         nonficBook.info
         nonficBook.las
The metadata information is stored in the .info files.
The front cover / preview images are in the .png files.
The most recently read page info is in the .las files.

Last edited by codeMonkey; 02-03-2010 at 06:57 AM. Reason: Clarified.
codeMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote