Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-15-2016, 06:49 PM   #16
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Without USB, how will you charge it?

And do you really sit reading in the sun, at that temperature?? Personally, I'd buy a H2O (or any other waterproof device), and never leave the shaded pool with temperatures like that. Or find a deep cave so I could stay cool...
I used to read at that temperature quite a lot.
Not the most pleasant situation.
But reading makes the temperature more bearable.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 07:07 PM   #17
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
Anything milspec will work in the heat.
Let me rephrase: most consumer electronics do not like the heat.

I would hope that milspec will work in nearly all climates.
Super extreme cold may be the exception.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2016, 10:20 PM   #18
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Let me rephrase: most consumer electronics do not like the heat.

I would hope that milspec will work in nearly all climates.
Super extreme cold may be the exception.
I suspect that somewhat depends on the market for which it is manufactured.
How much of Southeast Asia and the Pacific Islands have air conditioning generally available? There wasn't much when I lived there. A few restaurants and indoor shopping places.
Africa?
Central America?

Yet these places do have radio, television, and cell phones. And had consumer electronics decades ago when I lived there.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:09 PM   #19
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I suspect that somewhat depends on the market for which it is manufactured.
How much of Southeast Asia and the Pacific Islands have air conditioning generally available? There wasn't much when I lived there. A few restaurants and indoor shopping places.
Africa?
Central America?

Yet these places do have radio, television, and cell phones. And had consumer electronics decades ago when I lived there.
I know that but the OP was talking about using these devices OUTSIDE in DIRECT SUNLIGHT.
Even without a/c most radios and televisions will not be subjected to the direct sun. So they won't get the extreme heat only the ambient heat.
So you are telling me that I could take my cell phone outside tomorrow in the direct sunlight and leave it on for an hour and nothing will happen to it.

It will only be 100 here tomorrow.
And just for your information my house inside was 90 degrees when my a/c went out.. All my electronic stuff is fine but I dang sure didn't put them in the sun.

Though I did leave the tv off because I didn't want anymore heat in the house.

I was going to say something about central America but then I realized I was too far north. I was thinking of the equator.

Last edited by Cinisajoy; 07-15-2016 at 11:13 PM.
Old 07-16-2016, 01:16 PM   #20
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness

Quote:
I know that but the OP was talking about using these devices OUTSIDE in DIRECT SUNLIGHT.
Even without a/c most radios and televisions will not be subjected to the direct sun. So they won't get the extreme heat only the ambient heat.
So you are telling me that I could take my cell phone outside tomorrow in the direct sunlight and leave it on for an hour and nothing will happen to it.

It will only be 100 here tomorrow.
And just for your information my house inside was 90 degrees when my a/c went out.. All my electronic stuff is fine but I dang sure didn't put them in the sun.

Though I did leave the tv off because I didn't want anymore heat in the house.

I was going to say something about central America but then I realized I was too far north. I was thinking of the equator.

I am telling you outright that in the early nineteen eighties, you could take a pocket cassette player or a boom box sold in Japan and run around in the jungles and on the beaches in Okinawa or in the Philippines all day long if you carried enough batteries. Those also units functioned in the California desert until the temperatures climbed into the hundred and teens. Cell phones back then did not yet have an infrastructure to make them useful to people in the areas I was in.

I am willing to bet that while the equipment you buy won't do that, the equipment sold at say...the base exchange in Subic Bay or Yokosuka will.
Advert
Old 07-16-2016, 01:44 PM   #21
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
I am telling you outright that in the early nineteen eighties, you could take a pocket cassette player or a boom box sold in Japan and run around in the jungles and on the beaches in Okinawa or in the Philippines all day long if you carried enough batteries. Those also units functioned in the California desert until the temperatures climbed into the hundred and teens. Cell phones back then did not yet have an infrastructure to make them useful to people in the areas I was in.

I am willing to bet that while the equipment you buy won't do that, the equipment sold at say...the base exchange in Subic Bay or Yokosuka will.
Would this equipment include an ereader or tablet?
If the answer is yes, please message me.
Old 07-16-2016, 01:48 PM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
FWIW, I regularly use my Kindle in Egypt in temperatures of 40+C and it works absolutely fine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 01:53 PM   #23
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Outside?
How do you keep it from getting too hot to hold?
Old 07-16-2016, 02:04 PM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, outside . I have a leather cover for it which never gets uncomfortably hot. 40C certainly isn't anything approaching too hot to hold.
Old 07-16-2016, 03:05 PM   #25
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, outside . I have a leather cover for it which never gets uncomfortably hot. 40C certainly isn't anything approaching too hot to hold.
Really 100 F isn't hot???
I know if I lay my phone or my kindle down for even 5 minutes out in the sun, they get way hot in a hurry. Maybe Texas has a hotter sun.

Are you in the direct sun? Or are you in the shade? The OP said in direct sun.

Hey OP, apparently anything will work in direct sunlight. Just lay it down and leave it in the sun.
The two that have been in the middle east have said it works.
Old 07-16-2016, 03:28 PM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Really 100 F isn't hot???
It's roughly the temperature of the human body. Do you burn yourself when you touch someone?
Old 07-16-2016, 03:43 PM   #27
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's roughly the temperature of the human body. Do you burn yourself when you touch someone?
Doesn't one need a rectal thermometer for that kind of activity?

Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 07:06 PM   #28
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
If you read under an umbrella, your ereader should be fine. While the heat is definitely a problem, the direct sunlight is worse. If it is too hot, it won't turn on or will just switch off. Direct sunlight potentially will ruin it. Cousin tested her ereader recently while traveling and it worked fine in 105F. (how she stands this heat is beyond me).

From Amazon.
"Operating temperature: 32°F to 95°F (0°C to 35°C).
Storage temperature: 14°F to 113°F (-10°C to 45°C)."

"Charge the battery only in temperatures that range from 32°F to 95°F (0°C to 35°C)."

Last edited by Tarana; 07-16-2016 at 07:09 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 02:35 AM   #29
finiderire
finiderire began at the beginning.

Device: Booken Cybook Orizon
Hi everyone,

Thanks to all for your answers ! As for now I can consider that:
-apart from one very old model Sony PRS500 no E-Book Reader has no mini/micro USB
-latest models may behave better than older ones under direct sunlight (I may have to inquire about the presence of a transparent IR blocking filter in the device before buying)

a+,=)
-=Finiderire=-

P.S. To protect your body at 100 F 1) take a bath into the Mediterranean sea 2) spray sun shield with high UV protection on your skin 3) lay on the beach 4) read (and drink water)
finiderire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 04:06 AM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by finiderire View Post
Hi everyone,

Thanks to all for your answers ! As for now I can consider that:
-apart from one very old model Sony PRS500 no E-Book Reader has no mini/micro USB
-latest models may behave better than older ones under direct sunlight (I may have to inquire about the presence of a transparent IR blocking filter in the device before buying)

a+,=)
-=Finiderire=-

P.S. To protect your body at 100 F 1) take a bath into the Mediterranean sea 2) spray sun shield with high UV protection on your skin 3) lay on the beach 4) read (and drink water)
Sorry, but that's incorrect. The PRS-500 DOES have a micro-USB port. What it also has is a PSP style port for charging. The 505 was the same way.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, microusb, reader, rugged, sunlight