Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-22-2017, 09:44 AM   #91
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
Always find it amusing that the most vocal anti-Linux poster on these boards uses an avatar based on Tux.
Thank you! I don't get that either.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:41 AM   #92
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Are you aware that even if you use a kindle, you can buy books from other places. You are not locked into an ecosystem. I can get books here and put them on my kindle without jailbreaking or adding anything.
There is no lock.
The lock is in the other direction. I can take all of my books from Kobo and place them on any eReader that supports Adobe's DRM. Without invoking the Adepts I can't do that with books bought from Amazon. (And I understand that in certain circumstances even the Adepts can't help.)
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:52 AM   #93
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I didn't realize that Kobo had their own proprietary DRM. I thought they just used Adobe and automated the process (on the device) for their own market (like Sony used to do and B&N still does). Sorry. Doesn't change my point however. Kobos and Kindles both are tied to proprietary DRM schemes. Without access to Adobe ADE a Kobo (in my hands) would be limited to the Kobo market for DRM books, as the Kindle is limited to Amazon's market for DRM books.
Kobo uses the standard Adobe Adept DRM and their own DRM depending if you download ePub or kepub. So a Kobo is not limited to just Kobo's eBookstore for DRMed eBooks. Kobo can handle eBooks from Overdrive and if you live outside the US, then a Kindle won't work with Overdrive.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 11:00 AM   #94
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Same here. Mine is black, so I don't know if it's a K5 or a K4 Non Touch.
The K5 is touch with the physical home button.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 11:03 AM   #95
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
So, it's "my fault" I don't use the proprietary Windows and instead use the free Linux? (Oh, the irony.) But it really doesn't matter who's "fault" it is (personally I think Adobe could easily make a Linux version of ADB if they were so inclined), the fact remains that -- since DRM ePub is (for the most part) tied to Adobe, this means DRM ePubs are just as proprietary as the Amazon AZW3 format.
Name me one Kindle that can use DRMed eBooks from any eBookstore outside of Amazon? Any Reader that uses RMSDK can use any eBookstore that sells ePub that uses Adobe Adept DRM. That means any eBookstore that sells ePub minus B&N and Apple.

Quote:
I can use a Kindle, without issue in Linux, so long as I buy my DRM books from Amazon. I can use a Kobo (without issue in Linux) so long as I buy my books from Kobo. Amazon has more choices -- also, in my opinion, more reliable devices (and certainly cheaper ones). If I want to borrow an ePub book from Overdrive? No issues with the Kindles. No dice with a Kobo. My Sony T2 still allows ePub downloads via its browser because it (the device itself) still has the proprietary Adobe ADE built in.
Cheaper depends on which models you are comparing. You can use ADE 2.0.1 with Wine. It's just a hassle to get the setup working. You just don't want to bother. Yes, Kindle for PC and Kobo Desktop are easier to get running under Wine. But because you don't want to get ADE 2.0.1 working, you are limiting yourself.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:05 AM   #96
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I didn't realize that Kobo had their own proprietary DRM. I thought they just used Adobe and automated the process (on the device) for their own market (like Sony used to do and B&N still does). Sorry. Doesn't change my point however. Kobos and Kindles both are tied to proprietary DRM schemes. Without access to Adobe ADE a Kobo (in my hands) would be limited to the Kobo market for DRM books, as the Kindle is limited to Amazon's market for DRM books.
Not all books on Amazon have DRM. That is up to the publisher.
Old 11-22-2017, 12:07 PM   #97
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Name me one Kindle that can use DRMed eBooks from any eBookstore outside of Amazon? ...
The PW1.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 12:53 PM   #98
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
The PW1.
Please explain how a PW1 can use eBooks (with DRM) from a different eBookstore other than Amazon. Jailbroken doesn't count.
Old 11-22-2017, 12:57 PM   #99
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Please explain how a PW1 can use eBooks (with DRM) from a different eBookstore other than Amazon. Jailbroken doesn't count.
Any ebook store that sells a format that Kindle supports and has "social" DRM.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 01:00 PM   #100
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Any ebook store that sells a format that Kindle supports and has "social" DRM.
So the correct answer is that there is no eBookstore that sells DRMed eBooks that work with a Kindle outside of Amazon.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:22 PM   #101
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Kobo uses the standard Adobe Adept DRM and their own DRM depending if you download ePub or kepub. So a Kobo is not limited to just Kobo's eBookstore for DRMed eBooks. Kobo can handle eBooks from Overdrive and if you live outside the US, then a Kindle won't work with Overdrive.
So you could directly download a DRM ePub to your Kobo from Feedbooks (for example)? I don't know, just asking. I was under the impression that DRM ePub eBooks from other (non-Kobo) sites required a download to your computer and then side-loading to your Kobo. If I'm mistaken I'm quite willing to be corrected on this point.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 03:32 PM   #102
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
Always find it amusing that the most vocal anti-Linux poster on these boards uses an avatar based on Tux.

Anyay FWIW instructions on installing ADE 2.0.1 on Linux using Wine (credit to Darryl).
At this point I have nothing "Windows" on my Linux computers. I know I could work around the ADE issue (either using my wife's Windows computer, Wine or a Windows partition on my Linux computer) but I have no pressing need to do so. Most books that I buy from Amazon are not DRM, so it's easy to convert them to ePub. I also download some books (not many) from public domain sites (like Feedbooks or ManyBooks) and they usually come in both formats. Most of my books with DRM are now borrowed from Overdrive (or Amazon), and it's easy to do this directly using my Kindles (although I've just rediscovered that I can also download from Overdrive directly to my Sony T2).
Old 11-22-2017, 03:38 PM   #103
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Name me one Kindle that can use DRMed eBooks from any eBookstore outside of Amazon? Any Reader that uses RMSDK can use any eBookstore that sells ePub that uses Adobe Adept DRM. That means any eBookstore that sells ePub minus B&N and Apple.

Cheaper depends on which models you are comparing. You can use ADE 2.0.1 with Wine. It's just a hassle to get the setup working. You just don't want to bother. Yes, Kindle for PC and Kobo Desktop are easier to get running under Wine. But because you don't want to get ADE 2.0.1 working, you are limiting yourself.
Actually, if you own a Kindle, you don't even need to install Kindle for PC.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 03:39 PM   #104
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
The K5 is touch with the physical home button.
This Wiki makes it kind of confusing – it seems to say it's both ...

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Amazon_Kindle

I've changed my information anyhow as "Kindle 4 (NT)" seems to be the most common way of describing it. I kind of wish Amazon had invested a little time into uniquely naming every one of their eReaders.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:42 PM   #105
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
This Wiki makes it kind of confusing – it seems to say it's both ...

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Amazon_Kindle

I've changed my information anyhow as "Kindle 4 (NT)" seems to be the most common way of describing it. I kind of wish Amazon had invested a little time into uniquely naming every one of their eReaders.
Try this wiki.
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers

I only know because I have both and had to look them up.