Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 02-22-2021, 01:19 PM   #3061
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I listened to They Went Left by Monica Hesse, narrated by Caitlin Davies. Focusing on a young concentration camp survivor's search for her younger brother, the novel is set in the aftermath of WWII as people try to come to terms with lives lost and torn apart, and to create new connections.

This sad but hopeful book is one of SYNC's freebies this summer.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 09:18 AM   #3062
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Last night, I finished debut novel: A Gentleman's Murder by Christopher Huang, set among a club for war veterans only in 1924 London. Very well researched, and I'd be interested in a sequel, but the book itself didn't really draw me in, mildly disappointing. Solid narration.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 12:30 PM   #3063
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I did land on Murakami's Killing Commendatore. The going was slow, partly because it's not written to be a page-turner, and partly because a couple of excellent video games came out this past month

It was weirdly constructed like a supernatural horror novel, but the emotional tone was low-key longing (like, not even urgent longing) and concern for others (but again, not urgent, like "I'll help as much as I can, but I don't want to get too involved"). Like some of his older stuff, the plot and characters cross the line from magical realism into fantasy/horror territory, but bring along the sensibilities of magical realism, where more often you see authors do the exact opposite. Japanese cultural identity was a pretty strong theme, but I would say the book was mostly about different ways of making peace with the unclosable distance in even the most intimate relationships.

I picked something more or less at random from my unread Audible 2 for 1 buys, and ended up with Monster Hunter International, which I've barely started but is shaping up to be some very pulpy action movie style urban fantasy.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 07:59 PM   #3064
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Along with three other audiobooks, I'm currently reading Johannes Cabal: The Necromancer (Johannes Cabal, Book 1) by Jonathan L. Howard (audiobook read by Christopher Cazenove). I had no idea I'd be enjoying this one so much. The author has a vivid imagination, is a great story teller, and the narrator is perfectly matched to the book.
A most enjoyable book, and I greatly look forward to reading the sequels.

Tonight I'll start Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle, an Audible PLUS audiobook read by Stephen Fry. I had just bought The Complete Sherlock Holmes: The Heirloom Collection by Arthur Conan Doyle read by Simon Vance when I learned of that free (to Audible Plus members) edition. I read the two volume William S. Baring-Gould's Annotated Sherlock Holmes around 50 years ago, so this will be my second time through the canon.

I'm also listening to Jane Austin's Emma (read by Anna Bentinck), The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera (read by Richmond Hoxie), and a sci-fi tale, This World is Taboo by Murray Leinster (read by Mark F. Smith).

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 02-26-2021 at 08:02 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 08:46 PM   #3065
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Finished The Hobbit by J R R Tolkien and narrated by Andy Serkis and narrated by Andy Serkis. Totally wonderful! I highly recommend!

One comment though - I have hearing loss/tinnitus and had just a little trouble with his lower voice. If this is an issue for you, you can play slightly faster which raises pitch or play louder. I chose louder. My hearing aid got fixed today, so that solved the whole problem as Audible bluetooths from my phone to hearing aid.

Moving on to McNally's Caper by Lawrence Sanders and narrated by Victor Bevine, book 4 in the Archy McNally cozy series. Love the series and Bevine is outstanding as a narrator. These books read almost like a interactive journal, 1st person, so he gets a lot of Archie's attitude in there.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 09:01 PM   #3066
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Finished The Hobbit by J R R Tolkien and narrated by Andy Serkis and narrated by Andy Serkis. Totally wonderful! I highly recommend!...
I read that one, and it was a lot of fun. You deserve a reward for posting that. Here it is:
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 07:10 AM   #3067
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Finished The Hobbit by J R R Tolkien and narrated by Andy Serkis and narrated by Andy Serkis. Totally wonderful! I highly recommend!

One comment though - I have hearing loss/tinnitus and had just a little trouble with his lower voice. If this is an issue for you, you can play slightly faster which raises pitch or play louder. I chose louder. My hearing aid got fixed today, so that solved the whole problem as Audible bluetooths from my phone to hearing aid.

Moving on to McNally's Caper by Lawrence Sanders and narrated by Victor Bevine, book 4 in the Archy McNally cozy series. Love the series and Bevine is outstanding as a narrator. These books read almost like a interactive journal, 1st person, so he gets a lot of Archie's attitude in there.
Thanks for the recommendation. Just picked up the book, so I'll see how I like it.

Listened to the first half hour and love it! He has an incredibly expressive voice. Unless I'm mistaken, he uses the tune from the movie when he sings the Misty Mountains song.

Last edited by pwalker8; 03-02-2021 at 07:45 AM.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 11:30 AM   #3068
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Been working on Ruth Ware's The Death of Mrs. Westaway for a while. The story itself is okay, but it's really long - can't believe there are several hours left! Imogen Church's narration is a definite plus in motivating myself here!
Old 03-06-2021, 11:55 PM   #3069
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
That video was great!
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 09:56 AM   #3070
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I’m also listening to The End of the Ancient Word by Ferdinand Lot, read by Charlton Griffin, a prolific narrator of works about the classic world. It’s interesting but admittedly something of a slog. Griffin’s rather fruity delivery doesn’t do anything to enliven a stolid text.
Whew! Finally finished. By the end, I’d bumped the speed up to 2X, just to get it done.

And now I’m listening to two lighter works: Balzac’s Cousin Bette read by Kate Reading, which is very pleasant. It’s been a revelation to me how well 19th century novels work as audiobooks. I’m also listening to Overture to Death by Ngaio Marsh, read by the peerless Nadia May. It had been decades since I’d read any of the Roderick Alleyn books, and this my second in a short stretch. They’re perfect for the purpose, something to listen to in bed, but I can’t say I’ve been won over. The books in fact are highly entertaining in the set-up, but once the insufferable Alleyn shows up, they slow down to a crawl. I dislike him. I don’t need to like a protagonist, but it’s an issue when the character is written to be wonderful and not a louse but I don’t see him that way. At least this one, set in the Golden Age era of the 1930s, is easier to take than the first one. I expect 1930s’ era English cozies to be classist, but it grates when it’s the 1950s as in the first book I tried.

For the record:

The End of the Ancient World - Audible
Cousin Bette - Hoopla
Overture to Death - OverDrive

Last edited by issybird; 03-09-2021 at 09:59 AM.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 10:13 AM   #3071
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?

I loved Kate Reading's Cousin Bette! The 1971 six-part video adaptation featuring a young Helen Mirren as Valerie should be available at YouTube.
Old 03-09-2021, 10:33 AM   #3072
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
I loved Kate Reading's Cousin Bette!
Where do you think I found it? Thank you.

As an aside, as part of the case for Hoopla, the only narration available to me on OverDrive was by someone I’d never heard of. The OD app is better than the Hoopla app, but not better enough to override a good narration.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 07:35 PM   #3073
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I finished up Monster Hunter International. I did not realize reading Correia's Black Sword books that he was a Sad Puppy ringleader, but it's unavoidable in this one, where the premise is basically, "What if Blackwater hunted vampires in Alabama?" That said, it's not like the book is a manifesto - aside from ubiquitous gun fetishism, political statements are infrequent. If you can accept that the entire cast is operating in an opaque bubble where the Dunning-Kruger Effect is a palpable force, it's still a 3-star horror-action romp, and the insularity itself is sometimes unintentionally entertaining.

I'm seriously contemplating getting around to Battle Ground and Peace Talks, with maybe a reread or two earlier in the Dresden series, but once again I said, "Nah," and picked something random out of my sale buys. I landed on S.M. Stirling's Dies the Fire, not realizing it's a sort of companion series to the Nantucket books, which were tremendously satisfying. It does mean I'm doubling up on apocalypses, as I'm reading Kim Stanley Robinson's Ministry for the Future with my eyeballs.
Old 03-10-2021, 08:46 AM   #3074
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
I finished up Monster Hunter International. I did not realize reading Correia's Black Sword books that he was a Sad Puppy ringleader, but it's unavoidable in this one, where the premise is basically, "What if Blackwater hunted vampires in Alabama?" That said, it's not like the book is a manifesto - aside from ubiquitous gun fetishism, political statements are infrequent. If you can accept that the entire cast is operating in an opaque bubble where the Dunning-Kruger Effect is a palpable force, it's still a 3-star horror-action romp, and the insularity itself is sometimes unintentionally entertaining.

I'm seriously contemplating getting around to Battle Ground and Peace Talks, with maybe a reread or two earlier in the Dresden series, but once again I said, "Nah," and picked something random out of my sale buys. I landed on S.M. Stirling's Dies the Fire, not realizing it's a sort of companion series to the Nantucket books, which were tremendously satisfying. It does mean I'm doubling up on apocalypses, as I'm reading Kim Stanley Robinson's Ministry for the Future with my eyeballs.
Monster Hunters International is one of my favorite books. I really liked the audiobook narrated by Oliver Wyman, IMPO one of the better narrators. Yea, if you were offended by the whole brouhaha over the sad puppies, you probably don't want to read the book. The book is very tongue in cheek, doesn't take itself seriously and has a lot of fun with gun nerds and the various stereotypes.

I didn't know that Dies the Fire was a companion series for the Nantucket books. I really liked the Nantucket series, but I had given up on Stirling and his fascination with psychotic villains. IMPO, he needs a co-author to moderate his worse excesses. Let us know how you like it, if you would.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 05:44 PM   #3075
taosaur
intelligent posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I had given up on Stirling and his fascination with psychotic villains
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that character has been introduced, and I groaned a bit recognizing the super-Hitler trope from Nantucket. The premise of Dies the Fire is that the same moment in 1998 that Nantucket disappeared, electricity and combustion (including gunpowder) stopped working everywhere else, the combination of which strongly suggests some kind of alien test or experiment, but I doubt we'll get an explanation. That said, the non-Hitler characters are great, and Stirling's exploration of the scenario is compelling so far even if he stays well clear of "mind blowing" possibilities.

As for Correia, reading more of his work and learning of his role in Sad Puppies did shed some new light on that fiasco and the likely role of the Dunning Kruger Effect in driving the whole thing (particularly given MHI's semi-autobiographical "We swear he's super smart!" protagonist), but going any farther in that direction takes us into verboten P&R territory. Everything I've read from him so far is solid 3-star pulp, perfectly entertaining, but the idea that it deserves awards in addition to the massive licensing deals (Monster Hunter is a hugely successful video game franchise) is delusional.

Agreed that Oliver Wyman did a great job with the material. The narrator for Dies the Fire is solid overall, but has some odd pronunciations, including RAY-shun for ration or rationing, which comes up often in the early going.

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations