Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 07-30-2016, 02:51 PM   #1
Spfamy1
Connoisseur
Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: iPhone 6s Plus
A Book Cover Wall for Marvin 3.0 homescreen.

I'm referring to the old bookcover wall we had in Marvin Classic for the home screen. But with the release of Marvin 3...I thought it would be cool if we could get an animated wall like Apple iTunes feature showing bookcovers scroll across the screen in a sort of 3D fashion like a carousel. This would be really cool.
Spfamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 03:09 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
IMHO, Waste of code,
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2016, 08:35 PM   #3
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
And I would welcome – just as an option, of course – what's so deprecated and ridiculed nowadays, but what Steve Jobs loved: I mean the [wooden] bookcase background picture in which the book covers would be nicely displayed.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 12:06 PM   #4
Spfamy1
Connoisseur
Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: iPhone 6s Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
IMHO, Waste of code,
What about drag and drop in the home screen then? Using your thumb to drag and drop the book square covers around?
Spfamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 10:42 AM   #5
JKenP
Connoisseur
JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Kobo iPhone Kindle 8 HD
The code is close to 50% larger than the last version. Real time is spent reading. That is the benefit:reward. Afraid I'm a KISS kind of guy. Ease of use trumps bells and whistles every time.
JKenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2016, 11:25 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Useless animations can take up a lot of code space. We don't need it and it would just bloat Marvin.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:15 PM   #7
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKenP View Post
Ease of use trumps bells and whistles every time.
Except when you confuse advanced functionality with "bells & whistles", and I can see that's what you enjoy doing.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:40 AM   #8
JKenP
Connoisseur
JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It appears one's "advanced functionality" is the next one's "bells and whistles". GUI offers both. In another life, I specified software. Working with end users was informative. Ideas don't trump function. Code bloat is always a concern. With a phone that is exacerbated by power, interface, and processor limits. Traditional methods can translate poorly. e.g. page numbers. Pretty and cool don't always contribute to ease of use. Features can't grow to satisfy every user. It is helpful when those with minority demands understand that.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:38 AM   #9
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
...Features can't grow to satisfy every user. It is helpful when those with minority demands understand that.
Wise words Obi-Wan. It would be really nice if others studied them!
Turtle91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:56 AM   #10
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
It appears one's "advanced functionality" is the next one's "bells and whistles". GUI offers both. In another life, I specified software. Working with end users was informative. Ideas don't trump function. Code bloat is always a concern. With a phone that is exacerbated by power, interface, and processor limits. Traditional methods can translate poorly. e.g. page numbers. Pretty and cool don't always contribute to ease of use. Features can't grow to satisfy every user. It is helpful when those with minority demands understand that.
Of course, _my_ wishlist isn't a minority demand.

I must say that as someone who has a request that doesn't seem to be high on the list, either with the creator or other users (the ability to manually sort the reading list) it can be pretty tempting to whine "what about my stuff" each time a new release comes out without mention. But hey, no one wants to read me whine.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 12:05 PM   #11
JKenP
Connoisseur

I think the main reason I don't see the need is that I don't keep that many books available on the iPhone. It seldom extends to a second page. I use Dropbox as a secondary source and pull books from it as needed. I know many like to keep a good quantity of books on the phone. We only read one at at time and this method works best for me. If you like having a lot of books on the phone, I can see why you'd want such a feature.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:10 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I don't keep many books on my iPhone and iPad because if I want to have a lot of books available, I use dropbox and pull in what I want/need.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:41 PM   #13
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
But hey, no one wants to read me whine.
"A Day Without a Whine is a Day Without MobileRead".
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 05:14 PM   #14
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

It's irrelevant whether a feature request is made by a majority of users, or by a minority of users. The only thing that's relevant is whether it makes sense to oblige the request. Sometimes, the demands of the majority can be (un)reasonable, and at other times, it's the demands of the minority that are (un)reasonable.

Who's the arbiter that decides what is or isn't a reasonable feature request? Why, the software developer, of course. And discussion venues like these should serve the purpose of providing feedback to the software developer, rationally arguing for the sake of this or that feature request – regardless of whether it's shared by a majority or by a minority of fellow users.

If we always only went by what the majority wants, many of the world's greatest inventions (including the iPhone and iPad) would never have been created. The majority is, always, more or less satisfied with the status quo. Stagnation is good enough for most people. If your aim is top quality – in whatever area of creative endeavor – you must listen to the demands of an enlightened minority within your target audience. That's where true progress always lies.
Old 08-04-2016, 10:15 AM   #15
JKenP
Connoisseur

The best innovations are a product of competition. Maybe you need to program your own reader that conforms to you views and see if it gains the greater following.