Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-26-2011, 05:43 AM   #1
unwohltaeter
unwohltaeter is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Crooked Display - What should I do?

After reading for about a week i discovered that the display of my new PRS-T1 is slightly crooked. It's tilted about 0.2mm to 0.5mm to the left.
I already have it got rooted.

Is it possible to fix this through software or do I have to send it back and ask for a new one?
unwohltaeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:26 AM   #2
Abtacha
Addict
Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
If it's noticeable to you while reading I'd exchange it.
Abtacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2011, 12:14 PM   #3
unwohltaeter

Damn, I hoped I could fix it through software. Sending it in and getting it back probably takes about a week or two.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:10 PM   #4
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Software won't fix a tilted display for you ... we are talking about a hardware problem, yes? you could open it up and see if you can fix it yourself I guess. You'd probably lose warranty though.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 02:14 PM   #5
unwohltaeter

Hm... I think it's better if I send it back.
Advert
Old 11-28-2011, 09:27 AM   #6
Solveigh
Solveigh began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 * Kindle Paperwhite 4 * Kindle Oasis 3
Mine ist tilted about 0,5mm, too.
At the German "Reader Club Bord", I've read about other crooked displays, too.
I'm not sure if I should change it again; this is my 3rd T1:
The first one had a damaged frame, the second one had an incredible ghosting and now, the third one has a tilted display.
Seems to me that there's no perfect T1 around!
Solveigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:56 AM   #7
unwohltaeter

I finally decided to not send it back. It's not really bugging me anymore - only if I focus to much on this little error. Other people didn't even notice the error. Maybe it's because of my graphics designer eyes.

Maybe I'm trying to open it and correct it myself after a few weeks.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:26 PM   #8
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
[QUOTE=FeeShion;..............Seems to me that there's no perfect T1 around![/QUOTE]

At present, and allowing for my usual non-techsavvy bumbling around, I reckon there is - the one I have
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:40 PM   #9
unwohltaeter

@carpetmojo Can I ask you a favor? Could you be so kind and take a frontal picture of your PRS-T1 so i could compare mine with a "perfect" version?
Old 11-29-2011, 03:02 PM   #10
Solveigh
Solveigh began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 * Kindle Paperwhite 4 * Kindle Oasis 3
By the way, even the German Sony page shows a crooked display:

It's the original picture, I just scaled it to 200% for a better view and rotated the whole thing about 0.10 to have it parallel to the selecting tool.
Solveigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:24 PM   #11
unwohltaeter

Yeah, noticed that too.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:40 PM   #12
unwohltaeter

Hm. Maybe it should be possible to change something in the framebuffer device to rotate the display by one degree or a pixel.

Edit: LOL, dumb idea. Even if I could rotate the display a few pixels, I also have to change the touch screen driver/thingy/whatever.

Last edited by unwohltaeter; 12-06-2011 at 05:27 PM.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:53 PM   #13
unwohltaeter

I'm sending it back now - can't live with this little error. It's really tiny but once you noticed it it's annoying.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:10 AM   #14
ChrnoXIII
ChrnoXIII began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-T2
this happens to mine too - i used photoshop to draw a 5pixel line 5 pixels away from the edge of the screen and its ever so slightly (0.5 - 1mm) shifted to the left. no rotation tho which is good i guess.

i wonder what i should do?
ChrnoXIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:29 AM   #15
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
If it were me, I'd absolutely return it for a new one immediately. That visually would drive me crazy every single word I read. It should be straight, period. And no way to "dislodge" it to make the text crooked again by a bump.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote