Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-09-2006, 04:52 PM   #1
netriones
netriones began at the beginning.

Question about E-ink devices

I am interested in E-ink E-book. But LCD screen is already crisp enough, I am just wondering, does E-ink look a lot different than LCD other than the read under sun light benefit? I mean, is it worth it to spend an extra couple hundreds of dollar when the LCD will do the job?
netriones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 06:14 PM   #2
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
I'd say so. The blacklight on a conventional LCD screen can strain your eyes if you try and stare at it for hours on end. EInk doesn't need a backlight, which means you can read for much longer periods of time without stressing your eyes. (the only downside to this is you need an external light source when reading at night... a LED booklight seems to be the usual recommendation in this case)

Of course another benefit of EInk devices is the battery life. Without a backlight, and with the screen being bi-stable, there isn't a constant drain associated with using the display. This, combined with power management optimal for a device designed for reading, is why my Sony Reader has already gone three weeks without needing to be recharged.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2006, 08:14 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Well if all the other advantages (well documented herabouts ) of the display haven't swayed you thus far, I'd suggest that you find a Sony and have a look at e-ink for yourself, netriones. Unfortunately, the reality of e-ink just doesn't translate well to pictures, you really do have to see it to grasp it.

If you see it with your own eyes, and still think the LCD will do for what you need, then by all means go with the LCD.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 08:25 PM   #4
Jack B Nimble
Groupie
Jack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enough

Device: Tapwave Zodiac, eBookwise 1150
The screen is impressive as hell, under the right lighting. My wife didn't realize she was looking at an actualy displayed page, she thought it was one of those stickers they use for "Simulated Screenshot" or something, it looked that good. I have to agree with Natch, you need to see it in person to really appreciate it.

Having said that, with my own situation, specifically need for Mac support and desire for an integrated light, I decided to stick with an LCD screen (just ordered an eBookwise this morning, yah!).

Still, that eInk was awfully tempting when I saw it up close and personal.

Whichever you choose, enjoy!

Jack

Last edited by Jack B Nimble; 12-09-2006 at 08:30 PM.
Jack B Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 08:39 PM   #5
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
After seeing the screen my wife's comment was "You'd better get it." before I even asked what she thought. (I was going to get it but since we were together it is always better politically to at least ask before you open the wallet.)

I thought the screen shots in the photos were doctored. The eink looks better in real life than it does in the photos. Yes it is very dark gray on very light gray rather than true black and white, but it is so easy to read.

If you are still in a debate about which to buy after seeing the eink and an LCD display, go for the LCD -- its less expensive and you'll have more money left over for additional content. For me, and many others, there was no debate.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2006, 08:55 PM   #6
netriones
netriones began at the beginning.

Too bad, I don't think there's a place where I can see Eink with my own eyes. I live in canada. Or anyone from canada knows where to see e-ink in Toronto or Ottawa. I guess I'll wait a while for the price to come down.
netriones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 05:05 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood
I thought the screen shots in the photos were doctored. The eink looks better in real life than it does in the photos. Yes it is very dark gray on very light gray rather than true black and white, but it is so easy to read.
I'd quality that and say "in good light".

In daylight, and in good artificial light, the Reader screen is just astonishingly good - like reading on paper. In poor light, however, the contrast is poor and it can be difficult to read. (One of the first things I did, after buying my Reader, was to go out and buy a couple of good reading lamps!)

If you're reading in decent light, don't hesitate - get an eInk reader. If, however, you like to read in bed, in the dark, you'd be better off with an LCD screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote