Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-04-2008, 05:01 AM   #1
misterkim
misterkim began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Question Can someone please test this for me?

Hello all,

I'm planning on buying a Sony PRS-505 very soon! But I need to know that I can read documents in Korean, Chinese (Simplified and Traditional), and Japanese.

I was wondering if someone who owns as prs-500 or a prs-505 could test these test ebooks I have made to verify that it works for me.

I have a Mac, and I've been playing around with libprs500, and I think I've got the hang of it... so I've generated a total of 8 books:

http://ckim.org/stuff/ebooktest.zip

Chinese-Simplified-Nofont
Chinese-Traditional-Nofont
Korean-Nofont
Japanese-Nofont

Chinese-Simplified
Chinese-Traditional
Korean
Japanese

The ones with "Nofont" are just straight UTF-8 encoded text files of the respective language, where as the others actually have the respective fonts embedded by libprs500.

What I ask is that someone load these onto their prs-500/505 and maybe take some pics? I would really appreciate your help! I cant wait to get an ebook reader, this is just my last step! Thank you all in advance!
misterkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 08:27 AM   #2
aru
Likes to read on e-ink
aru is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle DX
Hi Mr. Kim,

I downloaded your files to my PRS505 and I am afraid you are not very lucky. There are no asian characters on the screen, only western A-Z and 0-9. There is no difference between the files with and without embedded fonts.

My camera battery died, so I'll post some pictures later.

There are some threads where people put Russian font on the reader, you may want to check with them.

Good Luck!
aru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2008, 11:19 AM   #3
misterkim

Drat. I guess sony prs might not be my best solution then. I'm still looking at solutions of adding unicode support to the prs-505, but does anyone know an ebook reader that does unicode out of the box?
Old 04-04-2008, 11:50 AM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Since you're interested in Chinese language books, one of the HanLin reading devices may be a better choice for you: they're a Chinese company, so they certainly ought to support Chinese characters.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 11:55 AM   #5
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
There is a way to load custom fonts on the 505.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20644
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2008, 12:00 PM   #6
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Well, people did install Chinese fonts on the Reader, so that's not really a problem... The problem is, are you going to be able to find a font that has all those many character sets in it, and still can be interpreted by the Reader's software. I believe there is like a 10MB limit to the font size.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 07:56 PM   #7
misterkim

Also, even if I did get chinese on it, from what I'm reading it doesnt seem like I can put Chinese, Korean, and Japanese on there all at once... am I correct in assuming this?
Old 04-04-2008, 09:20 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You might be best off with a Bookeen Gen3 since you can load different fonts on it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 09:24 PM   #9
misterkim

You can install korean/chinese/japanese fonts on the bookeen gen3?
Old 04-04-2008, 09:26 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
if they are TrueType you should be able to.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 10:08 PM   #11
misterkim

Ok, so new approach.

After doing literally hours of research, I havent been able to come up with a solid answer of if putting Korean + Chinese + Japanese support simultaneously on a PRS-500/505 is possible.
(Please, correct me and show me a method if I'm wrong).

So my solution is probably going to lie within PDF files.

I just want to see how readable PDF files in asian languages are on the 500/505. I have created 4 PDF files to test on a 500/505. I would prefer someone show them to me from a 500, because it seems like a much solution than the 505...

http://ckim.org/stuff/pdf.zip

If someone could take a picture of these running on a Sony Reader and post them for me, I would really, really appreciate it.

Thank you!
Old 04-04-2008, 10:13 PM   #12
misterkim

Oh, forgot to describe what the files were:

Lang PDF Test - The same text of the LRF files I uploaded earlier, 2 pages, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese, Japanese, Korean text (The NO MARGIN version is just that, PDF without any side margins.)

Size Test - Just some text in Chinese/Japanese/Korean, text size 10, 12, and 14. Serif and San-Serif Fonts. Just to test readability at certain font sizes because I know PDFs cant be scaled on the reader...

Thanks again.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:21 PM   #13
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
The embedded font PDF files displayed with no problems. Those in the subdirectory were a mess.

Another possibility might be using an embedded font in BookDesigner. Many eastern European languages have been supported this way as has classical Greek.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 12:26 AM   #14
misterkim

Thanks for testing it for me. Any chance I could get you to take a few pictures and post them so I can see the readability of them? thanks!
Old 04-05-2008, 02:43 AM   #15
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterkim View Post
Thanks for testing it for me. Any chance I could get you to take a few pictures and post them so I can see the readability of them? thanks!
I loaded one of your files into my PRS 500 and the results were barely readable. See Test 2.jpg. After running the program through PDF cropper which can be found here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forumsshowthread.php?t=13135

The results were much better. See Test 1.jpg. These images were taken with a cell phone camera and it may be hard to read the text but it is easy to see how much darker the cropped version is. The cropped version really does look great on my reader. The original version did not look good at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	test 1.JPG
Views:	311
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	12007   Click image for larger version

Name:	test 2.JPG
Views:	310
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	12008  
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote