Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 01-08-2012, 07:56 AM   #1
psv
Connoisseur
psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, remarkable
M92 impossible to fully charge

My boox M92 says that the battery is charged at 94% after many hours of charging. Does anybody else have this problem? Can it have a bad influence on the battery?
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:09 AM   #2
Schmitti
Enthusiast
Schmitti began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
I once charged mine to 97%, but then I stopped. So I can only confirm that it can be charged to above 94%.
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2012, 08:38 AM   #3
Backi
Connoisseur
Backi has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: PB912 Matt White
I wondered about this, too. I loaded my device for a long time, but the progress was not as high as I expected.

Moreover the charge amount is not accurate. If you open and close the battery dialog several times, you will see the number alternating.
Backi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:19 AM   #4
Federico F.
Federico F. began at the beginning.

Helo, new M92 user here. I am an e-reader newbie so I have a probably very stupid question: when using Onyx Boox readers for the first time is it better to fully charge them (or at least charge them as much as possible, in the case of the M92) or is it better to use them until the battery completely runs out of juice? As far as I know, the second option is the best one with mobile phones but I don't know how things work in the case of e-book readers... Tahnk you!!

I will report whether my device fully charges or not

Last edited by Federico F.; 01-11-2012 at 03:23 AM.
Federico F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:05 AM   #5
PaulS
PaulS began at the beginning.

Device: Boox M92
That's a hold over from days gone by. Batteries nowadays are Lithium-Ion (or more rarely Nickel–Metal Hydride) not Nickel-Cadmium which had the memory effect issue. It doesn't matter any more. Charge and use as you see fit.

What is still true is that no matter the tech a battery will lose capacity over time but there's little you can do about it unless you want to put it in a freezer (half charged). Just forget about it and charge when you have the opportunity.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2012, 03:18 PM   #6
Federico F.

My device charges up to 100% in a very short time, so hopefully it's not a built-in problem (however just as predicted by Murphy's law my USB cable does not seem to work since my PC does not recognise the device as a removable disk... great!)

EDIT: Now that's weird... the device showed battery charged 100% but now, with the device still plugged in shows battery charge 98%... so I suppose my device too has the same precision/reliability issue

Last edited by Federico F.; 01-12-2012 at 03:23 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:59 PM   #7
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Federico F. View Post
My device charges up to 100% in a very short time, so hopefully it's not a built-in problem (however just as predicted by Murphy's law my USB cable does not seem to work since my PC does not recognise the device as a removable disk... great!)

EDIT: Now that's weird... the device showed battery charged 100% but now, with the device still plugged in shows battery charge 98%... so I suppose my device too has the same precision/reliability issue
It is not weird at all. Chargers for lithium batteries stop charging when the battery is full as part of a mostly successful effort to prevent a fiery explosion. Charging does not resume until the battery has discharged a little. Different manufacturers make different choices as to when to resume charging.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 03:16 PM   #8
Federico F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
It is not weird at all. Chargers for lithium batteries stop charging when the battery is full as part of a mostly successful effort to prevent a fiery explosion. Charging does not resume until the battery has discharged a little. Different manufacturers make different choices as to when to resume charging.
Well good to know then! Thank you for your explanation, it turns out that although I considered myself very moderately nerd (erg, I use Linux - but don't know how to do anything from Terminal, my brother does everything for me !!!) I'm way more ignorant than I thought