Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-06-2017, 07:53 PM   #61
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbynormal52 View Post
Never assume, I forgot to change my profile for a year and a half ago when I moved here to Northern CA
I like western Oregon better than No Cal
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:02 PM   #62
abbynormal52
Groupie
abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Fire Tablet 7"
You and me both tubemonkey. Oregon is my home-State, I love Oregon, and too long a story how I even ended up in California. I can't wait to move home. I know there are some good folks here in CA, real good folks, but much of the State is "not my cup'a tea".
abbynormal52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:26 PM   #63
wawasteele
Addict
wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 1st PW, Sansa Clip Zip, Samsungs: GT 7.0 Plus, Note4, GT 4 10.1"
Quote:
I got a note back from the LA library since I live in California, but they don't cater to other counties. I'd so love to belong to a large consortium of libraries (big city) but I've been fortunate in finding all the freebies here on MF. I need to locate a consortium that will allow a non-resident to have a card. Maybe I'll look through the list that was given to me here, on pay-to-belong sites, or reciprocals.
The LA City Library requires city residency. The LA County Library only requires California residency. They are both very large library systems.
wawasteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 11:10 PM   #64
abbynormal52
Groupie
abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawasteele View Post
The LA City Library requires city residency. The LA County Library only requires California residency. They are both very large library systems.
Wow, oh I hope this is true!! I will try on Mon or Tues to call the "County of LA". I must have written the City Library. I wonder why they didn't let me know the county library would allow me to get a card because I'm a CA resident.

Oh well, I sure hope I can. Actually been kind of depressed at the thought of not being able to check out digital books anymore. Well, not unless I find a good library that would let me pay for membership (hopefully not an arm and a leg either

Denise
Old 01-08-2017, 11:52 AM   #65
wawasteele
Addict
wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Wow, oh I hope this is true!! I will try on Mon or Tues to call the "County of LA". I must have written the City Library. I wonder why they didn't let me know the county library would allow me to get a card because I'm a CA resident.

The link for the information about getting a card is here.

The link for the various library locations is here.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:06 PM   #66
abbynormal52
Groupie

Quote:
The link for the information about getting a card is here.

The link for the various library locations is here.
I can't thank you enough. I'm hoping there isn't any requirement for me to go there. I am in the far North of CA. I have documents I can share with them to prove my residency though I'll let you know how it goes

Thank you again, Denise
Old 01-08-2017, 12:21 PM   #67
wawasteele
Addict

Quote:
I can't thank you enough. I'm hoping there isn't any requirement for me to go there. I am in the far North of CA. I have documents I can share with them to prove my residency though I'll let you know how it goes

Thank you again, Denise
Oh, sorry. I don't think that will work. To the best of my knowledge, all libraries in California require you to appear in person to get the original card. A lot of them will then allow you to renew by phone.

Try and check online for libraries in town/cities close to you, where you could go in person. Like I've said earlier, most, but not all libraries in California, allow any resident to get a card. I've traveled the state a fair amount and have several library cards.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:27 PM   #68
abbynormal52
Groupie

Quote:
Oh, sorry. I don't think that will work. To the best of my knowledge, all libraries in California require you to appear in person to get the original card. A lot of them will then allow you to renew by phone.

Try and check online for libraries in town/cities close to you, where you could go in person. Like I've said earlier, most, but not all libraries in California, allow any resident to get a card. I've traveled the state a fair amount and have several library cards.
Ok That's alright, you tried anyway

I was given a list earlier in the thread of librarys that are called reciprocal?? Also libraries I can get payed membership no matter where I live. That's a great idea, as long as it isn't too high-priced, because they can make revenue to get more books for us!

much, Denise
Old 01-08-2017, 12:32 PM   #69
abbynormal52
Groupie

Ok, here is a blog I just found which lists some "paid memberships":

http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...ry-is-lacking/
Old 01-09-2017, 03:49 PM   #70
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Never assume, I forgot to change my profile for a year and a half ago when I moved here to Northern CA

So what's stopping you from changing it now? When you ask a question based on geography, it would be easier for us to help you if you give us the correct data.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 07:19 PM   #71
abbynormal52
Groupie

To everyone that helped me here I talked to the Houston Public Library today. I can get a card from them "online" and just have to send them scanned copies (easiest way) of my ID etc. and it's $20 for 6months, or $40 for a year. Very inexpensive compared to the books I would need to purchase to read as much as I like to

Thanks again to all that gave such great links etc. Oh, also, I did do a search of the library to make sure it carried a lot of my fave authors and it had a wonderful supply!!

Denise
Old 01-09-2017, 08:13 PM   #72
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
That's good that you found something that works for you for a cost you can live with. The only other suggestion I could think of was to get some of your friends and neighbors to petition your local library to join a consortium for ebooks. I have no idea how that works financially for small libraries, though.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:43 AM   #73
Larla
Addict
Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab S5E 12" Tablet
One good way to evaluate distant libraries that will let you pay for a library card is to calculate available ebooks divided by the yearly cost. For instance Houston has around 30k epub ebooks for $40/yr; while Brooklyn has around 90k epub ebooks for $50/yr.

On that basis, Brooklyn looks better. But, of course, there are other factors such as:

1) How long you have to wait on hold before books you are interested in are available.
2) How easy is it to get the non-resident library card
Larla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:55 AM   #74
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larla View Post
One good way to evaluate distant libraries that will let you pay for a library card is to calculate available ebooks divided by the yearly cost. For instance Houston has around 30k epub ebooks for $40/yr; while Brooklyn has around 90k epub ebooks for $50/yr.

On that basis, Brooklyn looks better. But, of course, there are other factors such as:

1) How long you have to wait on hold before books you are interested in are available.
2) How easy is it to get the non-resident library card
Rather than looking at total ebooks. I think it would be more important to get a sense of what percentage of the collection is books you want to read. Then, too, enough is as good as a feast, and if the cheaper library has a sufficiency of the books you want to read, why pay more?

Hold lists are very important up front. But once you can work up a list of gradually advancing holds, it becomes less important. Also, once you're a member, you'll be able to join queues much earlier, if you pay attention to new listings.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 03:39 PM   #75
abbynormal52
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
That's good that you found something that works for you for a cost you can live with. The only other suggestion I could think of was to get some of your friends and neighbors to petition your local library to join a consortium for ebooks. I have no idea how that works financially for small libraries, though.
I will try out the Houston Public Library for 6months and keep it if it works well for me I appreciate the idea, it's always an option for the future

Thanks again, Denise