Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-07-2012, 09:45 AM   #16
wildcolor
Enthusiast
wildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: kindle 4nt
I am now still confused. Sorry for being a total noob. But, could you please answer my following 2 questions.

1> When you guys refered "host ip", you meant the new "RNDIS" connection, not the PC's original wireless connection IP. Is this right?

2> OK. So now today I am testing my Kindle with another winxp machine using the following steps

a> I checked my winxp machine's wireless connection ip is 10.208.180.206 and subnet is 255.255.240.0
b> I opened kindle/usbnet/etc/config file and the host_ip is 192.168.15.1 and the kindle_ip is 192.168.15.201 I didnt change it and closed it. Add "ENABLE_DIAGS" file.
c> restart kindle. go to "Enable USBnet" (I see kindle's ip is 192.168.15.244 here).
d> after XP found the new device, I installed the driver. Now the name of the new device is "Acme USB Remote NDIS Network Device".
e> I set the ip address of the new device to 192.168.15.201 and subnet mask 255.255.255.0
f> I go to putty. Try to connect 192.168.15.244.
g> I got a "network error, connection refused"

g.1> then I tried to putty 192.168.15.201. I got same error.
g.2> then I tried to putty 192.168.15.1. I got Connection timed out.

Could anyone tell me if I did it correctly and what did I do wrong here????? Please...

Last edited by wildcolor; 12-07-2012 at 09:48 AM.
wildcolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:04 AM   #17
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
You have your IP addresses swapped. Host IP is the RNDIS network device on the host PC. It should be 192.168.15.201 as configured in manually assigned server settings.

The Kindles IP address is 192.168.15.244.

You must connect Putty to 192.168.15.244.

All bets are off if your usbnet config assigns a different IP address to the Kindle (as you seem to be saying).

Last edited by geekmaster; 12-07-2012 at 10:10 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:13 AM   #18
wildcolor
Enthusiast
wildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
You have your IP addresses swapped. Host IP is the RNDIS network device on the host PC. It should be 192.168.15.201 as configured in manually assigned server settings.

The Kindles IP address is 192.168.15.244.

You must connect Putty to 192.168.15.244.

All bets are off if your usbnet config assigns a different IP address to the Kindle (as you seem to be saying).
So, If I understand you correctly, the correct setting should be:

in kindle/usbnet/etc/config
host_ip:192.168.15.201
kindle_ip:192.168.15.244

Then, in the diagnosis mode, enable USBnet. Then in winxp set the RNDIS ip to 192.168.15.201.

Lastly, putty 192.168.15.244

I did try to the above sequence, but all I got is a "Network error: Connection refused"

Please help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-07-2012, 10:49 AM   #19
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
hi. as I said before I had a device that flatly refused to connect over ssh via diags.

It actually wiped the /var/local directory everytime.

Have you in fact confirmed that the dropbear / openssh process is running?
This would be a good first step.

the logs would probably indicate something about this. I forget exactly what I had to do to get logs out of the device. (EDIT: There are lots of threads on getting logs - probably even for the 4)

I have another question. Is it only possible to connect to the 4 via USB in DIAGS?
That seems a bit rubbish. Seems like an install that correctly made the process start NOT in diags would be more helpful. It's just an application after all. no magic in the whole "Diags" thing that makes it magically work in some way that it doesn't do with the regular runtime... A hacked IPTABLES with a port 22 allowed (just until you get running)

Then you could do this also via Wifi. just to rule out a bad cable or maybe a driver issue. Or something in Diags killing your dropbearmulti install.

Seriously. Where is this installer for the 4? Is there not a non-diags one?
Sigh... 4's meh.

Last edited by twobob; 12-07-2012 at 10:50 AM. Reason: logs help
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:58 AM   #20
wildcolor
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
hi. as I said before I had a device that flatly refused to connect over ssh via diags.

It actually wiped the /var/local directory everytime.

Have you in fact confirmed that the dropbear / openssh process is running?
This would be a good first step.

the logs would probably indicate something about this. I forget exactly what I had to do to get logs out of the device. (EDIT: There are lots of threads on getting logs - probably even for the 4)

I have another question. Is it only possible to connect to the 4 via USB in DIAGS?
That seems a bit rubbish. Seems like an install that correctly made the process start NOT in diags would be more helpful. It's just an application after all. no magic in the whole "Diags" thing that makes it magically work in some way that it doesn't do with the regular runtime... A hacked IPTABLES with a port 22 allowed (just until you get running)

Then you could do this also via Wifi. just to rule out a bad cable or maybe a driver issue. Or something in Diags killing your dropbearmulti install.

Seriously. Where is this installer for the 4? Is there not a non-diags one?
Sigh... 4's meh.
First of all, please forgive me of being a total noob.

Secondly, I do not know what is an dropbear or openssh. so I do not know how to confirm if these things are working......

thirdly, when you said installer for 4, you meant the USBnetwork installer? I found it the "giant thread" in this link. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...font%2C+usbnet

Lastly, at least do you think what I did was correct (only in terms of those IPs that I mentioned in the thread before yours?)
Old 12-07-2012, 12:24 PM   #21
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The IPs look correct.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:05 PM   #22
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcolor View Post
Secondly, I do not know what is an dropbear or openssh.

So I do not know how to confirm if these things are working.
The general answer: Linux (actually all *nix) systems have a manual (man) command.

The exception being Embedded Linux (*nix) systems do not have those files installed.
But web search tools recognize the man command as part of search strings.

So either on your complete Linux install (or perhaps a livecd), OR
in your favorite web search tool:
man dropbear
man openssh

Now that you have read up on what SSH (Secure SHell) is (server and client, putty is one of those clients) you know the server is running on TCP port 22 by default (if it is running at all).

So now you need to use your favorite network examination tool to see if port 22 is open on the network address you just assigned to the Kindle end of the USBnetwork cable.

If you don't have a favorite tool, try: nmap
(Yeah, right, you just searched for: man nmap when you read that, then your learning)

And then you searched for where to get it for your OS and found:
http://nmap.org/download.html
Right? Right!

Download, install, run: nmap 192.168.15.0/24, wait.

Take two aspirin and try again when you have the ssh server started on the Kindle and your local network setup as required/desired.

Repeat the above basic procedure whenever you come across something Linux/*nix that you do not recognize.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:06 PM   #23
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So... Perhaps a well placed comment in that thread- Asking specifically about launching (and auto-launching) on the K4NT- would not now be misplaced.

No one knows this stuff better than Niluje.

The threads on exporting logs are here and there and on the wiki.

~dumplogs or ;dm or SOMETHING (I don't know I never used a 4 and I utterly forget the command) you can find that out for sure.... it goes in your search bar (assuming you have one )

I Just don't have anything to test on fella. therefore end of help. sorry
Old 12-08-2012, 12:38 AM   #24
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Didn't read everything, and it's now half past 6 AM, so don't expect anything remotely sensible from me...

* You're (possibly) confusing USBNet with the SSH-on-diags stuff.

* On the K4, USBNet defaults to different IP settings than diags. This should be covered more in depth both in the K4 wiki, and the USBNet doc.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:50 AM   #25
twobob

and by me
Old 12-08-2012, 01:13 AM   #26
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
* On the K4, USBNet defaults to different IP settings than diags. This should be covered more in depth both in the K4 wiki, and the USBNet doc.
I thought you were going to change USBNet to be consistent between them. I recall you posting that after we discussed this same subtopic previously... But my memory isn't what it used to be either...
Old 12-08-2012, 01:24 AM   #27
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@GM: I did... On the K5. .

Since the K4 is more or less a K3, it's not the same code tree, and it slipped my mind. I'm already using a dirty trick @install time to force a setting on the K4, so, why not, I might as well switch the IP from there too. (Still a bit reluctant to do it, though, it'll make the bundled doc even more confusing, and breaks the logic of the custom config update).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote