Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 02-07-2012, 02:53 PM   #16
talaivan
Groupie
talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-505
Like many others, I picked up a Playbook (32 mb for $250). I was surprised -- expected it to be poorly designed, hard to use, but found it works extremely well. I also have a Nook Color (rooted, with FB Reader), for which I paid about the same, and find I much prefer reading on the Playbook. The two are the same size and weight, but the PB is much more refined, and for some reason I find it more comfortable to read on. It would be very nice to get FBReader for the PB -- RIM provides a very easy way to convert Android programs to the new OS, so, hopefully, FBReader and others will be available without having to jailbreak the PB once OS 2 is available.
talaivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:27 AM   #17
aeroshooter
aeroshooter began at the beginning.

Device: playbook
Unhappy Read with bookmarks

Hi,

I am considering buying a PB. However my primary purpose to buy it is to transfer all my technical manuals on it n have it handy for ready reference.

However, the manuals are in a series of PDF files with one "START " file having a multiple bookmark links to categories and subcategories to all the other individual files.

Is there an e-reader on the PB currently which can handle this function? The repligo reader does it on my phone (BB9360) but i understand it is not available for the PB yet.

Am urgently looking for a solution to this as i have fallen way back on my reading coz am stuck to my laptop which i cannot carry everywhere i go.

Thanks.
aeroshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:31 PM   #18
bookworm1959
bookworm1959 knows the square root of minus one.bookworm1959 knows the square root of minus one.bookworm1959 knows the square root of minus one.bookworm1959 knows the square root of minus one.bookworm1959 knows the square root of minus one.bookworm1959 knows the square root of minus one.bookworm1959 knows the square root of minus one.bookworm1959 knows the square root of minus one.bookworm1959 knows the square root of minus one.bookworm1959 knows the square root of minus one.bookworm1959 knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kobo Touch, Blackberry Playbook
So, am I the only one that downloaded the OS2 on February 21st? The first app I downloaded was the Overdrive Console, and within minutes I had downloaded my first library ebook to the PB. I like the built in reader with Overdrive, and it was great downloading directly to the PB. The second library book I tried to downloade was an Adobe PDF. I couldn't download directly to the PB through Overdrive, so downloaded onto my PC. The tried sideloading it to the PB and that didn't work. So I loaded it onto my Kobo Touch, and found out I couldn't read it on there either. At least I know it's not an issue with the PB.
bookworm1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:21 AM   #19
aeroshooter
aeroshooter began at the beginning.

Device: playbook
Still waiting...

i am still waiting for some advice on my previous post...i thought with the new OS coming out this thread will be buzzing...
aeroshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:09 AM   #20
bookworm1959
bookworm1959 knows the square root of minus one.bookworm1959 knows the square root of minus one.bookworm1959 knows the square root of minus one.bookworm1959 knows the square root of minus one.bookworm1959 knows the square root of minus one.bookworm1959 knows the square root of minus one.bookworm1959 knows the square root of minus one.bookworm1959 knows the square root of minus one.bookworm1959 knows the square root of minus one.bookworm1959 knows the square root of minus one.bookworm1959 knows the square root of minus one.

Aeroshooter, as I said, one of the library books I tried was an Adobe PDF and I couldn't download onto the PB or sideload it. However I Didn't spend much time fooling around with it. You might try also asking your question on the Crackberry Playbook forums. There are lots of experienced PB users there and someone might have some ideas for you.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:04 PM   #21
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
One thing you might try on the PDF would be to download it into Adobe Digital Editions and then use it to side load the file onto your reader. Be sure your reader has been registered with Adobe Digital Editions first. The ADE tool will transfer the DRM to the device.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:27 PM   #22
bookworm1959

Hi Dale, not sure if you're replying to me or not. Regardless, I did use ADE to open the book and transfer to my Kobo and it loaded onto the device. However the font was miniscule and I had to use the zoom to pan around each page in order to read a section. The book wouldn't even open on the PB, not even in the Adobe Reader. I could have read it on my computer but that's why I got the Kobo and the PB. I've since installed Calibre on the computer and will play with in that.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:07 PM   #23
emt
Nameless Being

Love the PB with OS2

OS2 now includes Adobe Reader (and also Docs to Go) so there are multiple choices for reading PDF's. Best of all, Moon Reader works extremely well - just like on an Android device and includes autoscrolling - the best way that I have found to read books.
There are many other Android apps that have been ported - just amble over to Crackberry forums. Also, the PB is well built and can play media, etc.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:12 AM   #24
Dreamnine
Enthusiast
Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, iPod Touch 5
Book Reader is the best ereader app, I have found.
Dreamnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:32 AM   #25
MyBBplaybookJS
MyBBplaybookJS began at the beginning.

Device: Blackberry Playbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroshooter View Post
i am still waiting for some advice on my previous post...i thought with the new OS coming out this thread will be buzzing...
There's is a built in Adobe Reader in PlayBook, however it is very rudimentary and in my opinion not suitable for any serious work. I do not know if any. Pdf readers have been ported over from Android.
MyBBplaybookJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:54 PM   #26
KnH
KnH began at the beginning.

Device: Blackberry Playbook
I really like my playbook as a reader, I have used kobo, aldiko, epub, and like the Kindle app the best. I have been able to load my Library
KnH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:39 PM   #27
bookworm1959

The first android app I downloaded with the new OS is Overdrive Media Console. It's great being able to use it to go to my public library, access my account, and directly download a book to the PB. I'm using the built in reader with Overdrive and like it, haven't used anything else. The only issue I've come across is that occassionally it freezes, and I have to close down the app and restart the PB. It's great not having to plug into the computer to transfer the books, within seconds of taking out the ebook it's on my PB and I'm reading. I like that the Overdrive reader has a sepia colour scheme, which I don't find as hard on the eyes as the regular black on white.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:36 PM   #28
batkinson001
Kobo App user
batkinson001 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.batkinson001 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.batkinson001 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
Just got a playbook yesterday. The kobo app needs some work though. (pages get messed up in portrait mode)...

Edit, switched to landscape single page and it works great.

Anyone notice a difference in battery life using normal for reading night mode? I prefer the night mode... I know that on my smartphones' amoled screen the more pixels it has to light up, the faster the battery is used up... Wondering if the same is true on the playbook with whatever screen it has.

Last edited by batkinson001; 03-22-2012 at 04:13 PM.
batkinson001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:11 PM   #29
foggynight
foggynight began at the beginning.

Device: blackberry playbook
Hi how can I make my playbook be able to download and read epub books ?Thanks foggynight
foggynight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:47 AM   #30
batkinson001
Kobo App user
batkinson001 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.batkinson001 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.batkinson001 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by foggynight View Post
Hi how can I make my playbook be able to download and read epub books ?Thanks foggynight
I use the kobo software.
batkinson001 is offline   Reply With Quote