Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-28-2010, 03:54 AM   #1
bob1xxx
Zealot
bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle k3 and k2 and White Aluratek Libre Pro
Wink Kindle k2 vs Libre pro

I got my hands on a friends Kindle K2 to load on some PD books in both text and non drm'd mobi formats she's been out of town so Ive had it for a several day test drive. So far the Kindle has some pleasant surprises in my book compared to other e ink screen e readers (i.e sony, astak, bookeen). One is how fast it is to power on is , how fast the screen refreshes (the e ink flash is there but it doesn't interrupt the flow of reading) and how quickly it loads a book from the main menu. And unlike other bleh e ink screens it very easy to read in most light conditions (it almost par with my Libre pro) . I like that you have some basic margin control to deal with borked books (more words less words setting.) Default font is ok and the text size change is easy. And the Wireless 3g is cool for quickly moving books to the kindle from the amazon store cable free but is a feature I can live with out. Also the file format is good but not great compared to my Libre pro but the kindle allows plan text files (nice sense a lot of PG/PD books are available in plan text only) and one major reason why I won't buy a Nook who was the dope who decided the Nook would not handle plan text files?

Now there are somethings I do not like, size the design has so much wasted space, they could have easily fitted a 7" screen with better space management and for my uses 98 to 99% of the time the keyboard is really useless . I wish amazon would come up with a keyboard less version with a 7" screen that would be killer in my books. Also the way the 6" e ink screen is formatted it it really does not give any more room that my libre pro's 5" screen gives (hey I could be wrong that's how it looks to me.) And the over all size of the kindle makes much less pocket able than my take it everywhere Libre pro, especially if you add the cases for the Kindle which so far only add to the size and bulk of the kindle mean I much more likely to leave it at home than with me. My libre pro easy fits in my back pocket of my jeans, not so much with a covered kindle, it starts to fall into man purse time. So more likely than not the kindle will be in the car or at home and not with me when I stuck waiting in the doctors office , getting ghastly slow service at a restaurant, etc... were libra pro is great time killer. And really the kindles file organization is a HUGE step back ward from the Libre Pro really who was the dunce who decided not to allow folders on the kindle? Really WT#? Sorry that's just nuts ,yeah maybe with the keyboard you can do a word search for the title, but once you get several hundred books and newspapers or magazine downloads along with your books the lack of folders becomes a pain in the arse. Honestly I was shock I would like the Kindle2 as much as a do ..... that said for my uses Libre pro get a A grade where as Kindle 2 gets a solid B+ as over all e reader and by e ink screen standards get A- .

Last edited by bob1xxx; 06-28-2010 at 03:59 AM.
bob1xxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:42 AM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
The Kindle now has 'collections', which is a way to categorize your books, and allows organization similar to folders.

Many people like the keyboard, both for searching, and for making notes.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert