Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-13-2009, 03:04 PM   #1
olddumbguy
olddumbguy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olddumbguy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olddumbguy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC EVO, iPad, Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-700, Ipod Touch
New Book Smell: The Smell of Books, In a Spray-Can

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/...n-a-spray-can/

Quote:

There’s a certain something missing from the e-book, and it’s not just the paper. We tried to add some of the romance back when we disguised the iPod Touch as a Moleskine notebook, but it just didn’t work. The folks at Smell of Books, though, think they have the answer: a spray-can loaded with, that’s right, the smell of books. A quick spritz from the aerosol can and your Kindle, Sony Reader or iPhone will be transformed into a romantic bundle of musty smelling stories.

There’s even a choice of flavors: The default option is New Book Smell, which gives your electronics the tang of a freshly pressed paperback. When thumbing through the classics, you might prefer Classic Musty Scent:

When was the last time an e-book made you sneeze? Probably never. It’s a scientifically proven fact that e-books lack the necessary “character” to trigger a strong physical reaction. Our Classic Musty Scent solves that problem.
olddumbguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 03:30 PM   #2
Polyglot27
Addict
Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Archos 80 G9, Sony PRS-650, Sony T1, Asus MemoPad.
I have seen incense that claims to give you a whiff of an old library, but this is the first time I see the smell of books in a can. Good find.
Polyglot27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2009, 03:33 PM   #3
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
Quote continued: Also available are Eau You Have Cats (”It’s just like borrowing a book from grandma’s house), Crunchy Bacon Scent (”a low calorie, low cholesterol alternative for your breakfast reading enjoyment”) and the Scent of Sensibility (”It’s like living in a Jane Austen novel”).

This is too funny! I bet there are a few here that would really enjoy that Crunchy Bacon Scent!

I actually don't miss the smell of books at all! (If I did I'd just take my reader to the bookstore or the library and read there.)
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 03:40 PM   #4
olddumbguy
olddumbguy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olddumbguy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olddumbguy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC EVO, iPad, Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-700, Ipod Touch
It's almost too crazy to be real. If this was April 1st, I'd think it was a joke.

Last edited by olddumbguy; 06-13-2009 at 03:41 PM. Reason: spelling
olddumbguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 04:07 PM   #5
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
It's not real - it's a spoof. The website lists prices but no way to order. The descriptions are a hoot - someone put a lot of thought into this. Well done!

http://smellofbooks.com/

EDIT: According to this blog post of April 1st, the product has been recalled. http://insider.prismdurosport.com/in...roduct-recall/

Last edited by khalleron; 06-13-2009 at 04:13 PM.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2009, 04:26 PM   #6
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
I remember reading about the recall on here. though it seemed before April. but who knows.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 04:52 PM   #7
no.guru
Crazy like a
no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Smell of Books™ is compatible with a wide range of e-reading devices and e-book formats and is 100% DRM-compatible.
That's a relief!
no.guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 06:47 PM   #8
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
I remember reading about the recall on here. though it seemed before April. but who knows.
Yes, this was an April fools joke. First posted here on April 3rd.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ht=smell+books
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 07:29 PM   #9
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Ah that beautiful chemical smell of treated paper and glue that makes up a new book! I miss it too.
I used to miss the smell of old books until I saw a doco on books and the smell is partially little bugs and bacteria chewing on the paper, decomposing it. Now all I can think of is smelling bugs.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:05 PM   #10
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
Ewww!
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote