Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-23-2017, 10:20 AM   #1
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Kindle Fire HD 8 First Impression

We were gifted one yesterday by my sister in-law. So now I have one. It's the (2017) model. Hubby says it's mine so I gave him my Kindle Fire HD 7 (2013) hard to let go of it but I can't be selfish.

My first impression: It feels cheap, I like the screen size and the color quality is superior to anything I own. The text rendering is horrible. Hubby's Original Fire (2011) has better rendering. My biggest issue is screen clarity. If you ever used a matte screen protector that's what it looks like. I guess it cuts down on the glare but I'm all about crystal clarity. Yes I'm picky when it comes to screen quality but I expect more from a HD screen.

My second issue is sensitivity. It seems to not respond to light of touch well. I play games so this could be a problem. I'm hoping it's my error in something I'm doing. (angle, position...etc)

For videos it's gorgeous. The color quality is superior to my Nexus 7. Games look really good and colorful.

Google Play installed just fine on it and seeing I'm using this as a gaming tablet that makes me happy. I'm a little disappointed (this is a firmware issue) that if you have parental controls on even to just password purchases you can't use Alexa.

The sound is really good better than anything I own but it's too loud even down to the lowest setting it's way too loud. I need to find a way to deafen it because I can't jump or cringe Everytime I set off blasters in my game.

So my conclusion is

Text Rendering: Bad
Video Quality: Excellent
Screen Clarity: Matte Finish
Sound: Excellent but too loud
Touchscreen: Intermittent issues
Tablet Design: Feels cheap, fragile.

Content Use:

Reading: Poor for long hours of comfortable reading.

Gaming: Great for graphics but on timed or action levels touch screen sensitivity may be an issue.

Videos: Excellent. It will make a great tablet to watch movies, shows, YouTube on.

Music & Audiobooks: Excellent. You can make out each sound. It's crystal clear.

Final Thoughts:

For $50 it's definitely worth the price. I don't know if I pay $80 for it.

Oh I say it's too fragile for kids and hard to hold without a case. I have tiny hands.

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 01:46 PM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sound issue resolved thanks to an app recommended on XDA. No more theater sound. Sure it sounds cool but a good trigger for migraines. This app makes it sound normal.

Sent from my XT1528
Advert
Old 12-24-2017, 08:08 AM   #3
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
What a nice gift!

I hardly ever use my 2015 version, it's too big for the games I like. If I watched more videos it would be a great size. I should start doing that.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 08:15 PM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
What a nice gift!

I hardly ever use my 2015 version, it's too big for the games I like. If I watched more videos it would be a great size. I should start doing that.
It works for games but I play puzzles games like Fishdom, Wordscapes, Word Cookies. So casual gaming.

Sent from my XT1528
Old 01-02-2018, 04:06 PM   #5
Scarpad
Addict
Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think i have the 2015 version whats the difference between it and the 2017 version, is the screen any better or worse?
Scarpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert