Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 10-24-2016, 09:06 AM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I agree that it's far too long to be a realistic choice. If people are interested in Shirer, I'd suggest Berlin Diary, his journal while an American foreign correspondent from 1934 to 1941. It's a thousand pages shorter and the immediacy of his first-hand impressions while not knowing the outcome is fascinating.

(Not a nomination; I'm out.)
I've advocated for the nominations and voting to be a month ahead just so we can nominate large books and have the time to read. Also, it can give us time to get the books from Overdrive since the wait list can be too long for a regular month.

There is another option. Just do all the nominating/voting in January and there you go for the year.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 09:18 AM   #32
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Jon, I'll respond in the suggestion thread.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2016, 11:43 AM   #33
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
Quote:
I'd like to nominate Midnight at the Pera Palace: the Birth of Modern Istanbul, by Charles King.
I will use my last nomination to second second Midnight at the Pera Palace: the Birth of Modern Istanbul.
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 12:00 PM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

We need a third for The Devil in the White City so we can get a move on towards the voting phase. Also, Erik Larson is a really good author.
Old 10-24-2016, 04:04 PM   #35
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
I'd like to nominate Midnight at the Pera Palace: the Birth of Modern Istanbul, by Charles King.

The Amazon blurb:
That does sound interesting. About a bit of history not well known or covered. I'd second it if I had any more votes to cast.

Plugging my other two suggestions while about it. Each needs only one more vote.

Last edited by Hamlet53; 10-25-2016 at 09:31 AM.
Advert
Old 10-25-2016, 08:54 AM   #36
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There's a day-and-a-half to go and there are several worthy choices languishing with two nominations. Perhaps those with a nomination in hand could look them over? It's always good to have a well-populated slate.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:18 PM   #37
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
I third The Devil in the White City.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 12:50 PM   #38
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
I third The Devil in the White City.
I've heard good things about this one. If you hadn't thirded it, I would have.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 12:59 PM   #39
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
For me, it falls into that hole where I read it too recently not to want to read it again but not recently enough to be able to discuss it.

I'd like to see thirds for Jacksonland, Pera Palace and Soul of a People, all of which look like good choices to me. Pera Palace might have more international appeal, but I'd read any.
Old 10-25-2016, 01:06 PM   #40
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I'll second William the Conqueror and add a link to a freebie.

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1066
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 01:50 PM   #41
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I will third:

William the Conqueror

I wish a couple more were available but unless I can find a copy of the Frederick Douglass speeches at Gutenberg it doesn't look like it.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 06:16 PM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I will third Jacksonland.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:42 PM   #43
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Please, folks, can we get a third for Soul of a People: The WPA Writers' Project Uncovers Depression America by David A. Taylor. This is a book I have heard nothing but good things about, it covers a part of history that is receding into the background, and yet the amazing things accomplished by the WPA have affected every one of us who has lived in the US, and really beyond that. It's short, it's available on Overdrive, and yes, it's a bit pricey on Amazon. But I'd really like to get this into the voting phase, at least.

Thanks!
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 05:43 AM   #44
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I have never heard of the book.
But... I felt it has some potential.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 01:38 PM   #45
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Oh, c'mon. Just one vote each for Soul of a People and Pera Palace!