Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 09-22-2016, 04:27 PM   #31
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I actually nominated Midnight Riot in February, and it came close then. Actually, it would have made the runoff if Jon had voted for it then. But I admit, I like this as a humour selection at least as much.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 04:59 PM   #32
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I'm going to sit on my third nomination a but longer. So far there's nothing I wouldn't read if I can (a bit more on that later). The Dowager sounds delicious and I'm wondering where my much tattered copy of Alice, Let's Eat as well as the subsequent two books in Trillin's "Tummy Trilogy" has got to.

I always like to make a nomination of my own, but right now, when I can't see my monitor, I can't see what unread books I've tagged as "Humor" in Calibre, but I might nominate an old favorite at that.

My issue, as some know, is that I've had two bouts of eye surgery this summer., unfortunately on my "good" eye. I'm not supposed to read and I can't make out what's on my computer screen. My online life is achieved by holding my Nexus 7 up to my other eye, but that doesn't lend itself to lengthy screeds. I have been able to listen to two of the last three selections (as well as the first two Aubrey/Maturin books -c'mon over!) and at some point I'd like to comment. I may just boot my computer and have at it. Warning: My touch typing is on par with my bridge.

ETA: I realized that this sounds dire. I have every expectation of a full recovery. It's just taking longer than I'd like or anticipated.

Last edited by issybird; 09-22-2016 at 05:03 PM.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2016, 05:16 PM   #33
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
(as well as the first two Aubrey/Maturin books -c'mon over!)
Somehow, I have the feeling I just got whacked upside the head with a large 2x4 to remind me that it's time to open up a thread for book #2! (Completely off-topic -- what is a 2x4 called in the UK? And what actual measurements does it have?)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 06:55 PM   #34
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm going to nominate one of the funniest books I've ever read, The Loved One, by Evelyn Waugh. For those who have been there, Forest Lawn Cemetery in Glendale is readily recognizable in Waugh's hilarious satire on Hollywood, the American way of death, and the cultural divide between Yanks and Brits - from a misanthropic Brit's perspective.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:10 PM   #35
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
I'll second The Loved One, by Evelyn Waugh.

A great nomination Issybird.

I'm terribly sorry to hear about you vision problem; it is a dire situation for a reader. I'm hoping for your speedy recovery.

Regards,
Bruce
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2016, 10:31 PM   #36
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I nominate the script of the Tony-winning farce Noises Off by Michael Frayn.

I saw it on Broadway when Linda Thorson was in the cast, and I laughed so hard during the first two acts, that I didn't have any laughter left inside of me for the third act!

Kindle - $13.99
https://www.amazon.com/Noises-Off-Mi...dp/B001LOEFZK/

Kobo - $13.99
https://store.kobobooks.com/en-us/ebook/noises-off

Nook - $13.99
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/nois...ayn/1100493997
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 12:11 AM   #37
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I'll third The Loved One.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 05:17 AM   #38
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
I second Noises Off by Michael Frayn.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 05:29 AM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I nominate the script of the Tony-winning farce Noises Off by Michael Frayn.

I saw it on Broadway when Linda Thorson was in the cast, and I laughed so hard during the first two acts, that I didn't have any laughter left inside of me for the third act!

Kindle - $13.99
https://www.amazon.com/Noises-Off-Mi...dp/B001LOEFZK/

Kobo - $13.99
https://store.kobobooks.com/en-us/ebook/noises-off

Nook - $13.99
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/nois...ayn/1100493997
Noises Off is also a very good movie. I've watched it a number of times and it is funny. Though I'm not sure if it would be as funny when read.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 05:37 AM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I will third Me talk Pretty One Day.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 10:42 AM   #41
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Wow. So many good books to choose from. I enjoyed Mislaid, I always love David Sedaris, and Midnight Riot sounds like a lot of fun.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 11:12 AM   #42
mkm
Enthusiast
mkm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mkm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mkm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mkm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mkm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRSt2, pocket edge
Norm Macdonald's new book: "Based On A True Story : A Memoir"

Quote:
Promotional Praise:
David Letterman
“My three favorite books:
1. The Bible, by Moses and other guys
2. The Art of the Deal, by President of the United States of America, Donald J. Trump (a.k.a. President Trumpy)
3. Based on a True Story, by Norm Macdonald

I have not read the first two. I have read Based on a True Story, and I believe it to be largely bullshit, but it is very, very, very funny! Thanks, Norm, for letting me be part of this Booker Prize for Literature–quality effort.”

Adam Sandler
“I always thought Normie’s stand-up was the funniest thing there was. But this book gives it a run for its money.”

Suppose to be real funny AND makes you think. From what I understand he uses his biography as the starting point then strays into semi-fiction stories.
Perfect for humor imho.

There's also a live online Q & A next week, but that's still september...
https://www.facebook.com/events/1804614756423217/

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...om_search=true

Kindle: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B0K989W?
Nook: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/base...=9780812993639
E-Pub: http://www.booksamillion.com/p/Based...=6746424722105

I hope I nominated correctly....

Last edited by mkm; 09-23-2016 at 11:15 AM. Reason: added some more
mkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 02:00 PM   #43
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post

My issue, as some know, is that I've had two bouts of eye surgery this summer., unfortunately on my "good" eye. I'm not supposed to read and I can't make out what's on my computer screen. My online life is achieved by holding my Nexus 7 up to my other eye, but that doesn't lend itself to lengthy screeds. I have been able to listen to two of the last three selections (as well as the first two Aubrey/Maturin books -c'mon over!) and at some point I'd like to comment. I may just boot my computer and have at it. Warning: My touch typing is on par with my bridge.

ETA: I realized that this sounds dire. I have every expectation of a full recovery. It's just taking longer than I'd like or anticipated.
Sorry to hear about that. I went through something similar a couple of years ago or so when I had cataract surgery in both eyes. Something went wrong on one eye and I had difficulty reading for months while undergoing more surgery and intervals of healing. I hated finding it difficult to read. Glad to hear that it's a temporary difficulty for you.
Old 09-23-2016, 02:49 PM   #44
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
I've never played here before, but since I'd love an excuse to read it, may I third "Noises Off" by Michael Frayn ?
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 05:46 PM   #45
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
I'm terribly sorry to hear about you vision problem; it is a dire situation for a reader. I'm hoping for your speedy recovery.

Regards,
Bruce
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
Sorry to hear about that. I went through something similar a couple of years ago or so when I had cataract surgery in both eyes. Something went wrong on one eye and I had difficulty reading for months while undergoing more surgery and intervals of healing. I hated finding it difficult to read. Glad to hear that it's a temporary difficulty for you.
Many thanks.

Many books I'd like to read here; in truth, I've already picked up Bridge, Mislaid, and the Dowager (I'd love to see the last make it to the vote.)