Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 09-04-2013, 02:25 PM   #1
Sregener
Addict
Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4NT
Nook HD+ App Compatibility?

I have a few must-have apps. If someone can verify that these apps work on the Nook HD+ now that it has the Google Play store, I'd appreciate it:

- Kindle
- Zinio
- Overdrive
- ScribD
- Splashtop 2 Remote Desktop
- Saint Paul Pioneer Press
Sregener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:30 PM   #2
Jonah K
Jonah K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Jonah K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Jonah K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Jonah K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Jonah K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Jonah K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Jonah K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Jonah K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Jonah K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Jonah K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Jonah K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Apple iPad mini, Nook HD+, Nook HD, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sregener View Post
I have a few must-have apps. If someone can verify that these apps work on the Nook HD+ now that it has the Google Play store, I'd appreciate it:

- Kindle
- Zinio
- Overdrive
- ScribD
- Splashtop 2 Remote Desktop
- Saint Paul Pioneer Press
All of the apps mentioned above work on the Nook HD+.
Jonah K is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2013, 02:33 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I can verify Kindle & Zinio work fine on my HD+.

According to the Play Store website all of the others are compatible too, but I'm not near my HD+ to confirm personally.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:42 PM   #4
Sregener
Addict
Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4NT
That's all I needed! Thanks guys!
Sregener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:45 PM   #5
Lutraa
Well Read
Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK 3G, K4B, Nook HD+, Galaxy S3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sregener View Post
That's all I needed! Thanks guys!
My understanding is that pretty much any Google Play app works on the HD+ except for those requiring GPS. There are workarounds for that, though, if you want to expend the effort.
Lutraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2013, 09:54 PM   #6
fredlave
Connoisseur
fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Weatherbug app and Nook app (go figure!) will not install on my HD+ running CM10.1 July102013.
fredlave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:03 PM   #7
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredlave View Post
Weatherbug app and Nook app (go figure!) will not install on my HD+ running CM10.1 July102013.
Yep... Don't know about Weatherbug, but the Nook app can be sideloaded and works just fine.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:00 AM   #8
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutraa View Post
My understanding is that pretty much any Google Play app works on the HD+ except for those requiring GPS. There are workarounds for that, though, if you want to expend the effort.
That is definitely not the case. I've ran into several (which ones escapes me at the moment) aren't compatible. The one I can recall is the Swype keyboard app.

- Byron
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:46 PM   #9
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Swype works on my HD+.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:33 PM   #10
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Swype works on my HD+.
Apache
Hey that's great news and I'd love to put it on mine. One question though. How and where did you purchase it? As of just a few days ago, the Play store said it's not compatible with my HD+ and won't give me the option to purchase. I'm not really sure where to go from there.

- Byron

Last edited by bfollowell; 09-05-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:01 PM   #11
bfollowell
Fanatic

OK, I just went and looked again. I could've sworn I didn't have a purchase option but I was mistaken. It does say "This app is incompatible with all of your devices.", and the only two devices I have are a Nook Tablet and a Nook HD+, but there is definitely a purchase option. If you say it works, I think I'll pick it up. It'll be 99 cents well spent.

Thanks for correcting me Apache.

- Byron
Old 09-05-2013, 08:19 PM   #12
bfollowell
Fanatic

OK, now I need to correct yet again. I cannot purchase Swype. My devices show up as BN LLC BNTV600 and Barnes&Noble BNTV250 and it shows as incompatible with both. If I click on the purchase link it says "No eligible devices for app install." and my only option is to cancel. So, from what I can see, there is no legal way for me to acquire the app, even though I suspect it would work just fine.

So, I guess I'm back to asking, where and how were you able to purchase this for your Nook HD+?

Thanks.

- Byron
Old 09-05-2013, 10:01 PM   #13
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Yep, it is official, I am an idiot. I thought it was on my HD+, but it is only on my Asus Transformer and my Galaxy S4. Old age is a pitiful thing.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:07 PM   #14
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
I had installed Swype on my HD+ also. The Smithsonian app that worked on my Nook Tablet isn't compatible with my HD+. I also have an Audubon Insect program on my phone that won't install on my HD+.

I've since installed CM10.1 on my HD+. You're right jgaiser, I can manually install the Nook app, but it won't update itself (or even let me know an update is available).
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:39 PM   #15
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Kevin, which Smithsonian app are you referring to? The Smithsonian Mobile app that gives a schedule of events, exhibits, plus maps and floor plans? I have that app on my Nook HD.

And I used to have Weatherbug but I uninstalled it.

I still have the stock Nook HD firmware installed and all I did was use leapinlar's tweak over at sdx to allow the sideloading of apps. The tweak has the added benefit of making your device appear compatible with more apps in the Play store. It takes a few days for this to happen, but eventually apps that wouldn't even appear on a search before will show up for download after the fix is applied.

About the only apps I can't download now are ones requiring a camera. The xda fix doesn't address that.

--Pat
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote