Notices

Old 09-01-2013, 07:59 AM   #1
freezer2k
Enthusiast
freezer2k doesn't litterfreezer2k doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2 intl.
Kindle PW front light...

Hi guys,

I bought a Paperwhite on Friday in the local Saturn store (big electronics chain in Germany).

It had a little backlight bleeding. It seemed like the one they had in display was better. So I went back on Saturday and thought they can give me a better replacement.

I've read this post before, hoping newer kindles won't be affected (so much) by the uneven lighting issue: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=11

The salesman there gave me a new one. Only at home I noticed the seals were already broken.
And not enough, this unit has way worse lighting That much, that I would be happy to have the initial unit back.

This ones lighting is rather brownish in the upper area, and a mix out of white/white-brown in the lower area. I attached a photo. It's not so easy to capture this on photo, but you can see it in the lower-right corner.

My main reason for the PW was the light! If it wasn't for the light, I would have stayed with my Kindle2 for a while.

I'm torn what to do now,
Return it once again, hope that they will provide me with a better unit. I doubt they will unpack many units to find me a good one, since the packaging is sealed and they lose value that way.

Get a Kobo? I like the look and feel of the Kindle better and I think the software is also better. But having a good front light might be an acceptable trade-off for me.

Return it and get the money back? Maybe the PW2 has fixed this. I could live a while with my Kindle2. Although I would really enjoy reading with a front light on my balcony!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130901_134019.jpg
Views:	851
Size:	517.8 KB
ID:	110297  

Last edited by freezer2k; 09-01-2013 at 08:05 AM.
freezer2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:11 AM   #2
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
I would return it and wait for the next Kindle Paperwhite. The fact that you can no longer buy the WiFi Paperwhite on Amazon is probably a good indication that a new one is coming in a few weeks.

I will assume, based on complains of blotching and such that the new Paperwhite will have improved lighting...more even, less blotching, a year of tech refinement, etc. Although to be fair, I think the current Paperwhite is just fine.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2013, 08:25 AM   #3
freezer2k
Enthusiast

Hm.. in Germany you can still buy the WiFi-only version at Amazon.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:57 PM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I think your paperwhite looks just fine.

Mine looks the same way, and I'm quite happy with it.

The decision to return it, of course, is yours.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:26 PM   #5
freezer2k
Enthusiast

ya..not sure if i can get used to the uneven lighting...

What makes me also want to return it, is that the first unit was much better in comparison...

So i _know_ it can be done better...
Advert
Old 09-01-2013, 04:27 PM   #6
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Sorry, i missed the germany part. the lighting looks okay, maybe give it a few days and see how you feel.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:12 PM   #7
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
The unevenness at the bottom is normal, and the rest of the screen looks fine to me, the thing I would return it for though is the little spec of bright light along the bottom left. You could return it and ask for a sealed unit, or just your money back. Hopefully a new paper white is due soon.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:53 PM   #8
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Looks fine. Stop obsessing and get on reading!

No, more seriously... only you can tell if it bothers you. But I found out that minor defects are not very noticeable, once you start actually using the device...
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:59 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
One thing it is important to stress is that EVERY Paperwhite screen will look awful if you turn the lighting up to maximum. What matter is what it looks like at the lighting level you're going to actually use it at (which, for me, is about 10-12 in daylight; 4 in a dark room).

I do have to agree that your screen looks normal. You'll only see the shadow cones from the lights at the bottom if you have the lighting on high.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:55 PM   #10
freezer2k
Enthusiast

it looks weird at every light level.

Partially white, partially brown....
As I said, it's hard to catch on photo.

I'll try to get a sealed unit, the first one was better for sure.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:41 PM   #11
freezer2k
Enthusiast

ok,

just returned it.
The salesman there was really nice this time. He got me a new, sealed one, and we took a look at it together. The lighting is definitely more homogenous. It looks especially much better when brightness is reduced.

It also doesn't have this bright light spot. It seems to have 3-4 tiny pixels that light up, but they aren't visible at moderate light-levels.

I think i can really live with this unit
Old 09-02-2013, 04:07 PM   #12
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
One thing it is important to stress is that EVERY Paperwhite screen will look awful if you turn the lighting up to maximum.
Oh no, I respectfully disagree. Mine turned up to maximum looks absolutely perfect and truly paper-white. I was lucky to get wonderful screen, which when turned down for night reading has comforting slight yellow tint. It has even light with no faults regardless of setting and no light bleed on the left either. I love my PW. Perhaps it was good to buy it so late when problems were ironed out, or so it seems. I hope it will serve me well for as long as possible (touch wood)
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:29 PM   #13
freezer2k
Enthusiast

hm..

maybe Saturn got a old charge for cheap?
Old 09-02-2013, 06:02 PM   #14
SampleAndy
Addict
SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KFire HD, KFire, KTD 3g, KT, K4B, K4S, K3g, K3g SO, K2, K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
One thing it is important to stress is that EVERY Paperwhite screen will look awful if you turn the lighting up to maximum...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi Cygni View Post
Oh no, I respectfully disagree. Mine turned up to maximum looks absolutely perfect and truly paper-white.
I hope it will serve me well for as long as possible (touch wood)
I couldn't agree more. At 24, the screen is even and white, and at 0, it looks like a slightly yellowed K4. The only time I change the lighting is when the light gets stuck off. Otherwise, it is always set at 7. I hesitated buying for a long time because of all the problems that were being reported here, and I bought mine from Best Buy so that I could see what I was getting before I paid for it. I have some issues with the software, but the visibility and the touch response are all I could ask for!

Last edited by SampleAndy; 09-02-2013 at 06:05 PM. Reason: added MY preferred setting
SampleAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:32 PM   #15
Illyria
Connoisseur
Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK, K5, K7, KPW3
I have FINALLY, after almost a year of being undecided, ordered a PW from Amazon today.

The main reason is that both of the two frontlit readers I already own, while having perfectly uniform light, are much too bright even at their lowest setting for my sensitive eyes and I simply cannot read with them in the evening, let alone at night in bed. I got the Cybook because of the night mode feature but even the bright white letters on the black background hurt my eyes. Since the Paperwhite can be dimmed much lower I have such high expectations in this regard.

Now I'm just really really hoping that I will get a good unit without blotches, colors etc. The many problems I have heard about were the reason I got the Kobo Glo and Cybook in the first place. Wish me luck!!!
Illyria is offline   Reply With Quote