Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-30-2012, 10:18 AM   #106
K. Molen
Addict
K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 3, Nexus 10, Nexus 5
This is perhaps an unanswerable question prior to release, but here goes:

Since the Nexus 10 has a female micro USB port, and since there's lots of external drives with female mini USB ports, would a micro/mini USB cable (like this one) enable me to mount an external drive?

I don't know if that ability is hardware or software related. If it's software, does anyone know if Android usually lets you mount external devices? If it's hardware, does anyone know if it's common to be able to mount external devices through (what I assume is) a port intended to let you mount the tablet on a computer?

edit: This article leads me to believe that the answer at least isn't a definite no. I'm crossing my fingers, as I'm thinking I'll be getting me one of these come November.

edit #2: Doh! Apparently my question has already been sort of answered. Should've read the thread more carefully.

Last edited by K. Molen; 10-30-2012 at 10:34 AM.
K. Molen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:26 AM   #107
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksaber35 View Post
I hope a small number of people on here are ready to eat some humble pie,...
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2012, 10:39 AM   #108
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I'd like to point out one of the advantages of the Nexus 7 and 10. I already have a Nexus phone, and it only costs me $30 a month for unlimited 4G data access. One of the options on the phone is to setup a WiFi hotspot, and you can then tether your tablet to this WiFi hotspot and get blazing fast internet speeds. This kind of tethering may work with other devices as well, but with the Android operating system it is pretty easy to setup.

Another advantage of the Nexus is the Android operating system itself. On my phone, I get updates to the operating system as soon as Google releases them (the same would apply to Nexus tablets). For example, when Google went from Ice Cream Sandwich to Jelly Bean it just magically appeared, and all of the sudden I could start using the Google Now features -- you can ask questions like you can with Apple's Siri, and you can get cards with commonly needed info like traffic delays, sports scores, restaurant reviews when your outside a restaurant, etc.

I'm looking forward to the Nexus 10, because a 7" tablet is just too small for some websites and magazines. Also, I prefer to have a larger screen for things like watching videos and playing games. For reading books without images, I still prefer a plain old eInk 6" Kindle 3.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:23 AM   #109
darksaber35
Banned
darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a dead as PARROT Kindle keyboard 3G,NEXUS 7 and Proud Of It
Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Molen View Post
This is perhaps an unanswerable question prior to release, but here goes:

Since the Nexus 10 has a female micro USB port, and since there's lots of external drives with female mini USB ports, would a micro/mini USB cable (like this one) enable me to mount an external drive?

I don't know if that ability is hardware or software related. If it's software, does anyone know if Android usually lets you mount external devices? If it's hardware, does anyone know if it's common to be able to mount external devices through (what I assume is) a port intended to let you mount the tablet on a computer?

edit: This article leads me to believe that the answer at least isn't a definite no. I'm crossing my fingers, as I'm thinking I'll be getting me one of these come November.

edit #2: Doh! Apparently my question has already been sort of answered. Should've read the thread more carefully.
If you want to connect a portable hard drive to the nexus 10 then i see nothing stopping you UNLESS they removed the USB HOSTING that is on the NEXUS 7(which would be strange indeed for there premium tablet)

A cheap OTG cable allows you to connect UBS keyboards ,NONE powered or powered USB HUBS and other devices.
I could even connect my old Cannon S5IS digital camera up to my nexus and import photos from it easily and im certain my new cannon SX40 super zoom will be able to do the same once i get it .

To access Hard drives or memory sticks/cards all you need to do is buy a OTG cable $1-2 and buy the NEXUS MEDIA IMPORTER for $3.99. It supports all major memory storage formats FAT16,FAT32 and NTFS that almost all hard drives come formatted in these days.
I can plug my samsung 500GB 7200rpm portable hard drive into my nexus 7 and it works great.As well as all my USB memory sticks and memory cards i own.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...importer&hl=en
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0074111111111.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	95155   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-09-10 15.11.05.png
Views:	310
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	95157  

Last edited by darksaber35; 10-30-2012 at 11:48 AM.
darksaber35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:43 AM   #110
shenye
Zealot
shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksaber35 View Post
I can plug my samsung 500GB 7200rpm portable hard drive into my nexus 7 and it works great.As well as all my USB memory sticks and memory cards i own.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...importer&hl=en
Interesting. Thanks for the photos! I see how this could be useful... for the quick exchange of large quantities of data for example.
shenye is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2012, 11:48 AM   #111
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I have this for my Nexus phone, and it works great just like darksaber says. Just make sure you get an OTG cable. A standard mini-USB to USB connector looks the same but it isn't. You can get an OTG cable from Amazon really cheap. They run from about $1 to $5+ and the only difference seems to be that the cheaper ones are shipped from Hong Kong and take a little longer to get here -- that's what I bought and it works fine.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:54 AM   #112
K. Molen
Addict
K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, thanks for posting the photos and some more info. I think this clinches it... pending reviews (I rarely pre-order anything) I do believe I'll be getting a Nexus 10 next month.

Those of you with Nexus 7s, how much space does the OS eat up?
Old 10-30-2012, 12:03 PM   #113
darksaber35
Banned
darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post

Thanks for the music tip, maybe i can listen to the band if i ever borrow a ipad mini and want to feel like im living 30+ years in the past

Last edited by darksaber35; 10-31-2012 at 11:43 AM.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:25 PM   #114
Kurt
Connoisseur
Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Nook HD+, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Specs:

I wonder what are the odds it'll be priced at $329?
apparently no micro sd card slot
definitely a "no purchase"
pity
Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:01 PM   #115
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
apparently no micro sd card slot
definitely a "no purchase"
pity
You have some company.
Just don't say it too loudly.

Manually swapping data to the onboard storage from external sources--be it cloud-based or dongle-connected--is no substitute for *adding* onboard storage: There is a difference between using an SD card to sneakernet data onto a closed device and adding an SD card to double or triple the permanently available onboard storage.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:10 PM   #116
darksaber35
Banned

Quote:
Yes, thanks for posting the photos and some more info. I think this clinches it... pending reviews (I rarely pre-order anything) I do believe I'll be getting a Nexus 10 next month.

3gb for my nexus 7 when i got back in july and there has been 3 updates since so i would guess about 100+mb have been added since then.

The nexus 10 already has the latest jelly bean upgrade installed 4.2 so im not 100% sure how much storage it will take up in total but cant be more than 3.1gb-3.4gb.the nexus 7 should get the 4.2 update very soon indeed so i don't know how large 4.2 is yet.

THE 4.2 update adds things like -
quick settings, more Google Now features, Photo Sphere, widgets on the lock screen, the ability for devs to add maps into their tablet-optimized apps, a screen saver-style photo viewer called Daydream and a music explorer that quickly finds artists similar to the ones you're listening to.

Multi-user support is another new feature for Android 4.2
The stock keyboard also offers Swype-style typing and even throws in an extra bullet point for good measure: as you drag your finger from letter to letter, a box pops up showing you the word you're currently typing.

++ MORE

Last edited by darksaber35; 10-30-2012 at 01:59 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:13 PM   #117
K. Molen
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Manually swapping data to the onboard storage from external sources--be it cloud-based or dongle-connected--is no substitute for *adding* onboard storage...
While I agree that the solution proposed by darksaber35 isn't optimal, I feel I should point out that with the Nexus Media Importer app you don't have to swap data to use it, you can stream it right off the external storage.

At least that's what they claim:

"Nexus Media Importer allows you to import and stream music, video, photos and documents from a USB flash drive or SD card..." (emphasis mine)

From here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ususb.importer
Old 10-30-2012, 03:46 PM   #118
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
I'm surprised that the Nexus 10 doesn't have an option for cellular connectivity. Also, what is the cost of the data plan for the Nexus 7?
Since it's unlocked, you can take it to whatever carriers support it. You'd have to check with the carriers on pricing. I imagine it's eligible for some of the new family share plans (I think AT&T let's you add a tablet to a family share plan for $10).
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:27 PM   #119
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Now that the Nexus 7 comes in a 32GB flavor for $249, I'll get one.

But, I'll never use the dangling dongle option. 32GB will suffice for my needs.
Should be room for plenty of bananas. 32 Gkilo of bananas, even if monkey lives to be 150 years old there won't be enough time left for all those bananas.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:13 PM   #120
darksaber35
Banned

Quote:

Engadget already have a hands on review of it and they have nothing but praise for it,if i did not already have a nexus 7 that im very happy with i would buy a nexus 10 as it hits all other tablets out of the park on price and performance,and specs just like the nexus 7.

With google you can rest easy in knowing that you will get updates very quickly so your investment will be up to date unlike Samsung for instance who have a ever growing list of devices with outdated OS.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/29/n...ands-on-video/

YOUTUBE hands on
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCN7Y3e6MIU

''It's no secret that this particular tablet is ready for some serious hand-to-hand combat against the iPad, possessing a rather stunning set of components and solid build quality''

''We were even more impressed than we had anticipated, as the tablet features some of the most detailed and smoothest graphics we've seen''

''Of course, it doesn't hurt that the Nexus 10 offers a 2,560 x 1,600 display, which equates to just over 300ppi. For comparison, the new iPad packs a 2,048 x 1,536 panel for a pixel density of 264. Numbers are just numbers, of course, but the "True RGB Real Stripe PLS" screen is definitely one of the nicest we've gazed upon. Pixelation was nearly non-existent, viewing angles were great and colors were amazingly vibrant. It's also supported with Gorilla Glass 2.''

''a full 9,000mAh lithium-polymer battery that Google promises will deliver nine hours of video playback and 500 hours of standby. It's thinner and lighter than an iPad, registering at 8.9mm thick and 21.2 ounces (603g), but it doesn't seem to be cheaply built -- in fact, its soft-touch finish felt quite sturdy and solid to us.''

Last edited by darksaber35; 10-31-2012 at 10:18 AM.