Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-29-2012, 02:25 PM   #76
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Specs don't sell tablets, otherwise the iPad wouldn't be such a sales winner. I am mildly disappointed the 10" price is not the same no-brainer price as the Nexus 7. I hoped it would start at $350 or less, with admittedly little profit in the hardware (same as the 7).
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:44 PM   #77
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenye View Post
No expansion slot is a bummer.

I' wanted to go for the smaller internal memory (16GB) to save money, but if I cannot expand it, I might just as well spend $100 more for 32GB.
Lacking a microSD slot isn't quite as objectionable, though, on the now $200 N7... [16GB is the least amount I would accept without a slot - but it has to be cheap, which this is]
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2012, 03:13 PM   #78
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Lacking a microSD slot isn't quite as objectionable, though, on the now $200 N7... [16GB is the least amount I would accept without a slot - but it has to be cheap, which this is]
Doubling the storage on the 16GB N7 is $50--doubling it on the N10 is $100.
Not. A. Good. Deal.
I wonder if they intend to do what Sony did with the PS3 at intro: advertise the heck out of the lower-end model but build so few customers were forced to buy the higher end model.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:19 PM   #79
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post

They were evacuating from just one side of the street?

Graham
The houses on the other side are on higher ground. I'm 9ft above sea level which puts me slightly above the flood plain.

So far, the barrier islands are underwater, as expected. They are less than a foot above sea level. Atlantic City is flooded.

Quote:
Hope everything goes well, Fbone.
Thanks!
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:25 PM   #80
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
The houses on the other side are on higher ground. I'm 9ft above sea level which puts me slightly above the flood plain.
They talking 11ft surge at high tide...
...but you would know your situation.

Stay dry and online.
Advert
Old 10-29-2012, 05:19 PM   #81
shenye
Zealot
shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Doubling the storage on the 16GB N7 is $50--doubling it on the N10 is $100.
Not. A. Good. Deal.
I didn't notice. Yes, Google should be slapped on the hand for this one.

Still debating with myself whether I should go with the N7 (with cell data) or the N10. Since I'd spend more time with it at home than on the go, the N10 seems like the better fit. Just to think about the 10" screen to access my desktops via VNC / remote desktop...
shenye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:22 PM   #82
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I've been wanting a 10" tablet. I already have a Google Nexus phone. I absolutely love my phone, so I've been waiting for Google to come out with a 10" tablet. This tablet looks pretty sweet to me.

Compared to the iPad the Nexus 10 looks pretty darn good. It has a better screen, plus it is thinner, lighter, and cheaper.

I also like Amazon and have a couple of their devices, but for some reason they went with a 9" tablet. Sorry, but I wanted a bigger tablet, and I'm glad I held out for the Google 10.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:37 PM   #83
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
They talking 11ft surge at high tide...
...but you would know your situation.

Stay dry and online.
I'll do my best!

Trees down everywhere. Widespread power outages and coastal areas inundated. High tide in about an hour and expect my street and neighbors to be underwater then.

Many people don't realize proximity to the ocean isn't the worst. It's all the rivers, creeks and low lying areas miles from the beach.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:47 PM   #84
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I didn't notice. Yes, Google should be slapped on the hand for this one.
Try this one on for size: Nook HD+32 GB is $299. Add a SanDisk 32GB MicroHD card for $30, shipping included.
You just got a 64GB Nook HD+ for, ahem, $329.

I really, really do hope Nook Media lets you sideload apps. (Or somebody figures a simple hack to do the same.)
Old 10-29-2012, 07:07 PM   #85
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post

So far, the barrier islands are underwater, as expected. They are less than a foot above sea level. Atlantic City is flooded.
Thanks!
Zones can seem arbitrary unless you're paying attention to water levels. I'm one block away from an evacuated area myself, but there's a reason they don't expect flooding on my block.

It's likely, however, that my electricity might die while I'm in the middle of posting on this board. I just got a call from Con Ed preparing me for that if they determine there will be flooded power centers.

My UPS will ensure that that one post survives, but if I go dark in the middle of a conversation, that will be why.

Just heard a bracing crash outside and shattering glass. That's in advance of the brunt of the storm, which will hit my area about an hour and a half. I won't be napping, as my bed's near a window. Interesting times, these.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:10 PM   #86
darksaber35
Banned
darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a dead as PARROT Kindle keyboard 3G,NEXUS 7 and Proud Of It
Quote:
Try this one on for size: Nook HD+32 GB is $299. Add a SanDisk 32GB MicroHD card for $30, shipping included.
You just got a 64GB Nook HD+ for, ahem, $329.

I really, really do hope Nook Media lets you sideload apps. (Or somebody figures a simple hack to do the same.)
What you have there is a very limited media player my friend as the App store is a joke even compared to Amazons thread bear offering.
It's not even in the same league as the the Nexus 10.

It's made by a company that is just as Draconian as Apple when it comes to letting customers do what they want with it.
And all the while Microsoft are sitting in the background licking there greedy chops ready to gobble up the rest of them when they run out of cash

No - GPS
No - Creditable App store to speak of
No - Side loading of Apps
No - Web Cam
The same CPU as the Dud HD but over clocked by 0.3GHZ
Maybe they should borrow amazons same marketing strategy and tell every one that it's the best tablet at any price so we can all believe them and buy it in droves and save them from bankruptcy.

And what the heck is that hole in one corner of the bezel for ? do they expect you to attach it to a keyring holder or maybe hang it around your neck like it's some strange fashion statement

Last edited by darksaber35; 10-29-2012 at 07:56 PM.
darksaber35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:21 PM   #87
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Those are great prices. I didn't expect the nexus 10 to be under 450, especially given the high res screen. Does it have SD expansion? And the nexus 4? That's a steal!
8/16gb of non-expandable storage is a laugh. And no LTE? For someone so hung up on specs you are curiously silent on these limitations.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:23 PM   #88
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksaber35 View Post
And what the heck is that hole in one corner of the bezel for ? do they expect you to attach it to a keyring holder or maybe hang it around your neck like it's some strange fashion statement
Flavor Flav!!!
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:37 PM   #89
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksaber35 View Post
What you have there is a very limited media player my friend as the App store is a joke even compared to Amazons thread bear offering.
It's not even in the same league as the the Nexus 10.
I did say I want it able to sideload apps, no?

Well, first app to sideload is Amazon Appstore.
Second is Kindle.
Third is Kobo.
Fourth Aldiko.
Fifth Coolreader.
Sixth Comixology.

Get the idea?

And it turns out B&N has a very good Kidsbook store and magazine store and their tablets have features you don't get in their IOS, Android, or even PC apps.
B&N has done a lot of galactically stupid things but not *everything* they do is stupid. Some things are actually useful, if you know what you need and what you're doing.
And the NookHD+ seems to be on the not-stupid side of the ledger.

A lot of people overvalue both the iOS appstore and Google Play.
Some of us have no interest in a million apps if 950,000 of them are fart simulators, biorhythm charters, and useless games.

The NookHD+ and FireHD9 both come with very good hardware at very good prices. The Nexus 10 is also a very good piece of hardware but the pricing and feature set are aimed at Apple and their customers.
That is *not* me.

Because I know *exactly* what I need and I know exactly what I'm doing, and paying $100 for $5 worth of flash chips is not something I'm going to do regardless of whose logo is on the hardware.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:48 PM   #90
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
8/16gb of non-expandable storage is a laugh. And no LTE? For someone so hung up on specs you are curiously silent on these limitations.
$299/$349 is half what you would pay for LTE phones and less than half the $649 entry price for the iphone5. For people who do not need LTE, or who don't have it where they live, why spend twice as much on an outdated iphone 5 when you could get the latest and greatest at half the price? Superb screen, kick-ass quad-core CPU, NFC, wireless charging, ... It has everything but LTE. And last time I checked the iphones didn't come with expandable storage.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote