Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-06-2009, 06:46 AM   #76
unrequited
Zealot
unrequited doesn't litterunrequited doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2 DX
Curiously, it seems like all the pictures go in order instead of random. Is it this way with the stock sleep backgrounds too?
unrequited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 07:04 AM   #77
clarknova
Addict
clarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with others

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by unrequited View Post
Curiously, it seems like all the pictures go in order instead of random. Is it this way with the stock sleep backgrounds too?
I think so. The stock backgrounds are also named with an "XX_yyyyyy.png" naming scheme with the XX being from 00 to 25, seemingly in an attempt to keep them in order. (The kindle definition image is first, and the kindle feedback image is last.)
clarknova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 08:14 AM   #78
dcom
dcom began at the beginning.

Excellent detective work clark, it worked like a charm.
dcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 09:24 AM   #79
wilsondm2
wilsondm2 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarknova View Post
I think so. The stock backgrounds are also named with an "XX_yyyyyy.png" naming scheme with the XX being from 00 to 25, seemingly in an attempt to keep them in order. (The kindle definition image is first, and the kindle feedback image is last.)
yes that sounds right - but - how come after a reset it starts at the beginning again? Did the stock ss do that too? I thought it would always start at the last one displayed in the viewer.
wilsondm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 09:49 AM   #80
Octochick
Zealot
Octochick has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Octochick has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Octochick has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
Can some explain these two steps in a little more detail:

2) Copy "Update_kindle2_user_screen_savers.bin" to the root of your Kindle2.

Is that I file I am creating? ok figured that part out and where is thr "root" of my K2

3) Change directories to the "system" folder.
How do I change the directories?

Thanks for any help... !

Last edited by Octochick; 03-06-2009 at 09:54 AM.
Octochick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 09:56 AM   #81
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscris View Post
From Amazon CS on their website:

Custom Screen Savers
Amazon.com Customer Service does not support or provide instructions for adding custom images to your Kindle to be used as screen savers. However, should you choose to do this on your own it will not void your warranty.

http://tinyurl.com/cpwaul

Janet
What is the FULL link please? I do not click on tinyurl links as they could go anywhere.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 09:57 AM   #82
wilsondm2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octochick View Post
Can some explain these two steps in a little more detail:

2) Copy "Update_kindle2_user_screen_savers.bin" to the root of your Kindle2.

Is that I file I am creating? and where is thr "root" of my K2

3) Change directories to the "system" folder.
How do I change the directories?

Thanks for any help... !
you need to download the .zip file version .03 a little bit further back in this thread. Unzip it. Inside will be a text file with full instructions, and two files with the suffix '.bin' - one is for updating, the other is for uninstalling the screen saver patch. Plug in your kindle and open it up in a window. Drag the update file to the main directory of your kindle. (has the documents, system, etc. folders in it. This is your root or bottom or main directory. Once there, open the system folder, this changes your focus to the system folder. Once there continue following directions on copying your images and rebooting your 2k.

Let me know if this wasn't clear.

dwayne
Old 03-06-2009, 10:00 AM   #83
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What is the FULL link please? I do not click on tinyurl links as they could go anywhere.
Why don't you set tinyurl to preview mode for yourself? Then you can preview the link.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 10:04 AM   #84
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Why don't you set tinyurl to preview mode for yourself? Then you can preview the link.

BOb
Because by asking for the full link, maybe it will get people on MR to stop using tinyurl since it's not needed. One can hope.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 10:15 AM   #85
Octochick
Zealot
Octochick has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Octochick has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Octochick has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsondm2 View Post
you need to download the .zip file version .03 a little bit further back in this thread. Unzip it. Inside will be a text file with full instructions, and two files with the suffix '.bin' - one is for updating, the other is for uninstalling the screen saver patch. Plug in your kindle and open it up in a window. Drag the update file to the main directory of your kindle. (has the documents, system, etc. folders in it. This is your root or bottom or main directory. Once there, open the system folder, this changes your focus to the system folder. Once there continue following directions on copying your images and rebooting your 2k.

Let me know if this wasn't clear.

dwayne
Thanks Dwayne! I got it working though I am getting some blanks!
Old 03-06-2009, 10:17 AM   #86
Octochick
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrowley View Post
I'm on Mac OS 10.5.6, and yes, you're right, there are hidden files. I removed them using terminal, and checked to make sure they were gone. I still had blank images. Then I remembered that I needed to reset. That fixed it.

Thanks for the pointer in the right direction.
What is terminal and did you do this while your Kindle was plugged in?
Any more details would be great, thanks!
Old 03-06-2009, 10:36 AM   #87
wilsondm2

Quote:
Thanks Dwayne! I got it working though I am getting some blanks!
You're on a Mac!!

Yeh - I used VMWare and went in to delete them. However, there is another way to do this on a Mac.

Terminal is the program you use to access the Unix command level of the Mac. (Think of DOS command line) In there you would use typed out commands to move to the correct directory and delete files. It should be used with great caution however as this is a great place to mess up your system!

If you have someone with a win computer, it might be easier to just plug your 2k in and delete the '._' files in the system/screen_saver directory.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:45 AM   #88
jscris
Addict
jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: k1 - KAO2, ipads, h2o, KA1, inkBOOK, T80s, Mars, Nova Pro
The full link:
http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-com-Cus...x2HTAOBPKHJ0P8
jscris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 10:46 AM   #89
Octochick
Zealot

Hmm. I have not idea how to do that... and do not think I know some one with Win (PC with Windows?) off hand. No easy way eh?

Maybe, would it be ._pic.png for example?
What if I just plug it in and search for that file then delete them?
Old 03-06-2009, 10:51 AM   #90
clarknova
Addict
clarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with others

Quote:
What is terminal and did you do this while your Kindle was plugged in?
Any more details would be great, thanks!
On a mac it should be similar to:

Open up the applications folder, then open up "utilities" and then you'll see the Terminal icon. Open it and you'll have a terminal window with a command prompt.

enter the following commands:
Code:
cd /Volumes/Kindle/system/screen_saver

ls -a
You should see a listing of the file images you copied and the sneaky thumbnail data that's causing the blanks. Then you can do something similar:
Code:
rm -i ._*
This will prompt you to delete those files. Say yes to deleting those files that begin with ._ and you'll be almost done.
type "exit" to close the terminal. Then eject your kindle, and reset it by holding the slider for 15-20 seconds.

No more blanks.

Last edited by clarknova; 03-06-2009 at 10:57 AM.
clarknova is offline   Reply With Quote